Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Off-Road Tent Trailer - Tips for buying?  (Read 8185 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Off-Road Tent Trailer - Tips for buying?
« on: June 21, 2014, 06:04:38 PM »

So the wife and I are contemplating buying an off-road tent tralier. The primary reasons are we can tow it with our 4Runner, we can tow it into the remote 4x4 access lakes we love fishing, no more setting up a tent and sleeping on the ground!! :) Not to mention the benifets of having a fridge, furnace, stove etc.

I'm hoping someone on this forum can offer us some words to the wise when it comes to buying one.

Off the top of my head I'm wondering:

1- Good, better, best brands? Looking on Craig's list etc is seems that Star Craft and Rockwood are popular ones for sale.

2- Determining fair purchase price? I have no idea how much these things depreciate. All I'm going on so far is trying to find similar used models and compare prices.

3- Features to look for? Things to check out if considering purchasing? Any place you could take one to (RV dealer, etc) and pay to have them give it a good look over? I'd rather pay a couple hundred bucks than buy someone else's problem and have to dump a bunch of $ into it.

We live in Chilliwack and are looking for a used one. Here's a few I found online that sparked my interest:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/rvs/4524000523.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/rvd/4512220324.html

http://abbotsford.en.craigslist.ca/rvs/4515279908.html

Humpy

Re: Off-Road Tent Trailer - Tips for buying?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 06:27:04 PM »

I would strongly recommend purchasing a small travel trailer that can be towed by your 4runner. Tent Trailers are not much better then tents, there is no storage space.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 08:10:12 PM »

Point taken. However we want something that is designed for/capable of going off road. Clearance and overall "toughness" is a big factor. We go into a lot of 4x4 access lakes and whatever we are towing needs to make it in/out in one piece! From my research so far it seems that most of trailers that fall into this category are the tent trailer type.

A-liner makes a nice looking popup offroad trailer, but they are quite expensive and look pretty tiny inside.

http://www.aliner.com/campers/Expedition

It is just the two of us in the 4Runner and with the back seats folded down there is tons of space. On an average camping trip we'll have the abck about 2/3 full with totes, coolers, fishing stuff, etc.

As long as a tent trailer had enough space for a bit of stuff I think it would be sufficent for us.

Humpy

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 08:56:11 PM »

I was in the same boat not long ago, I do a lot of off-roading. You can flip the axles on a small travel trailer and it will have a lot of ground clearance. Tent trailer's will have to be dried when you return from your trip if it rained. For about the same price as a good tent trailer, you can get a decent travel trailer too. The small travel trailers (16'-20') are perfect for people like you and me.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 09:23:35 PM »

Interesting. I'll have to look into the logistics of axel flipping. I'm not handy at all when it comes to stuff like this so it's something I'd have to pay someone to do :o

Humpy, or anyone, do you have any tips on the other questions I brought up at the beginning of this thread? Brands, what they're "worth," features to look for, possibly getting one inspected prior to purchase, etc.

All thoughts/tips appreciated :)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 10:50:34 PM »

look into the BAJA series of small travel trailers made by Jayco. They are off road minded and tow like a dream.

I have been borrowing a family friends this season and we enjoy it a lot. Model we have been using is the Jayco Swift 154BH Baja edition. Its a bunkbed model but they make other floor designs for the Baja editions as well.

FYI - Jayco is one of the top brands in regards to travel trailers
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Humpy

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 11:51:08 PM »

Interesting. I'll have to look into the logistics of axel flipping. I'm not handy at all when it comes to stuff like this so it's something I'd have to pay someone to do :o

Humpy, or anyone, do you have any tips on the other questions I brought up at the beginning of this thread? Brands, what they're "worth," features to look for, possibly getting one inspected prior to purchase, etc.

All thoughts/tips appreciated :)
I would buy from a dealer, their trailers are certified and some even offer some sort of warranty. Buying used is risky, you really have to know your stuff, checking for leaks, etc. 
Hook is also suggesting the same kind of idea I mentioned, small travel trailer.
I prefer older, more solid travel trailers, and I have heard nothing but great things from Jayco.
I have a friend who bought one and he loves it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:53:12 PM by Humpy »

mmmroe

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 10:03:53 AM »

Mk1 UEV 490 off-road camper trailer Conqueror Aus…: http://youtu.be/QpauUSmtJmA

mmmroe

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »

If you get one I'd love to see it in person😆

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 01:24:39 PM »

I have one of these: http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/adventure_equip/Jumping_jack.html

Awesome trailer - very light and will fit a boat or two quads on top.

Bought it at Kitt trailers in Abby for about $8000.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 10:24:38 PM »

Thanks guys good ideas and good tips! :)

I checked out the Jayco Baja - nice looking trailer! A little pricey though. Also checked out the MKI UEV 490 and Expiditionwest trailers, both very cool but not really what we are looking for.

We have never owned any type of trailer before (well aside from our boat trailer) but I am leaning towards a "pop up" style off road tent trailer. Why? Probably first is the cost. It seems by and large they are quite a bit cheaper than a hard top like the Baja for a simialr year, condition, options, etc. One would not be a huge financial investment, so down the road when we inevitabley want to upgrade we will not take a huge $ loss. Second I like that they are quite light. Some of the lakes we 4x4 into are pretty dodgey in a few spots. In the event a light trailer got stuck/hung up I could probably unhook it and come-a-long it out. A "full size" trailer I'm not so sure! :o

Currently we either make day trips into these lakes which kind of sucks are we get up super early to be at the lake at a reasonable time, then we have to be packing up by 4-5pmish to make it out at a reasonable time for dinner etc. The odd time will will tent it and stay the night which just sucks overall - I'm done with tenting! At least with the tent trailer it has a proper bed(s)/mattress, fridge, stove, etc. We have a big double garage that it could be set up in to air out at the end of the trip. Heck it could probbaly just stay up/open when not in use to allow full ventalation.

I realize tent trailers are not as "good" as a hard top but they seem like a good way to get into the travel trailer scene with not a huge $ investment. Some definite costs/benifets and I appreciate the feedback thus far.

Lyall

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 12:08:45 AM »

I also have a 4runner and go into a lot of 4x4 areas. We tent and it gets the job done but I hear you - tent trailer would be luxurious!

I haev very limited experience with tent trailers but as I think you know, weight will be the constraining factor....not much jam in that engine. I regularely trailer a 2,000lb boat with my 99' and it can struggle at times...personally I wouldn't want to go up/down the coq with more than 2,500lb in tow, if that.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:10:21 AM by Lyall »

hungry6

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 12:22:16 AM »

Australia is a country full off crazy what we call is camper trailer, and there some very good ones around. Not sure if you can get the same over there, but have a read and there is plenty of good infos.

http://www.myswag.org/

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 05:04:07 PM »

Thanks guys good ideas and good tips! :)

I checked out the Jayco Baja - nice looking trailer! A little pricey though. Also checked out the MKI UEV 490 and Expiditionwest trailers, both very cool but not really what we are looking for.

We have never owned any type of trailer before (well aside from our boat trailer) but I am leaning towards a "pop up" style off road tent trailer. Why? Probably first is the cost. It seems by and large they are quite a bit cheaper than a hard top like the Baja for a simialr year, condition, options, etc. One would not be a huge financial investment, so down the road when we inevitabley want to upgrade we will not take a huge $ loss. Second I like that they are quite light. Some of the lakes we 4x4 into are pretty dodgey in a few spots. In the event a light trailer got stuck/hung up I could probably unhook it and come-a-long it out. A "full size" trailer I'm not so sure! :o

Currently we either make day trips into these lakes which kind of sucks are we get up super early to be at the lake at a reasonable time, then we have to be packing up by 4-5pmish to make it out at a reasonable time for dinner etc. The odd time will will tent it and stay the night which just sucks overall - I'm done with tenting! At least with the tent trailer it has a proper bed(s)/mattress, fridge, stove, etc. We have a big double garage that it could be set up in to air out at the end of the trip. Heck it could probbaly just stay up/open when not in use to allow full ventalation.

I realize tent trailers are not as "good" as a hard top but they seem like a good way to get into the travel trailer scene with not a huge $ investment. Some definite costs/benifets and I appreciate the feedback thus far.

Unfortunately sometimes this is your only option or pick a base camp and day trip to the lake from there. Lots of people do this. We used to have a tent trailer and only used it like a tent to get us off the ground, never used the heat, sink, stove and I actually sold it for MORE than I paid for it  :D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

dflyer

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 07:19:12 PM »

HI Spawn Sack

You really want to take some serious time and explore all your options and really research the trailer/model history you are purchasing.

I have the E3 Evolution trailer that I have towed with my Fore Runner- no problem.  I do however prefer to use my Tundra instead as it has more towing capacity.
I wouldn't recommend constantly toeing full weight or max capacity with your vehicle. ( my E3 fully loaded brings me close to I believe 80% to max on the forerunner, I have to check as i cant remember exactly right now)
I can email you details if you want as I will have to dig them up.

I would say with a smaller trailers  ie: 10' you shouldn't have any issue with toeing.
Unfortunately my E3 had roof/leak issues which is not fun so make sure you are satisfied with your research.  I agree with the other guys on here and try to purchase off a dealer if you can.  I did private and had no recourse and cost me big $$.

The thing is with these trailers, imo, is that yes they are marketed as heavy duty but it really is just the trailer frame that is heavy duty or larger than the typical pop up trailers as well as the extra height off the ground.  The interior material is the same as all tent trailers which i find is made of really light weight materials and not so strong.  They are made that way because they are trying to keep the overall trailer weight down.