Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thinking about buying a boat on a budget...  (Read 3593 times)

Archer

Thinking about buying a boat on a budget...
« on: May 30, 2014, 04:10:49 PM »

Mainly for fishing the lower fraser. Inboard or out. I see a few online for $3500-$5000 that are around 10 years old or a bit older. Around 100hp to make it up the river. For fishing and just chillin. I know little about boats. I have my license and have driven around 5 times, but rentals and skiffs only.  Is that price range for junk? I want something hassle free mechanically.

Thanks!

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: Thinking about buying a boat on a budget...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 04:45:15 PM »

$5K is pushing it. 

I can't see a 10 year old boat under $5K and 100HP going to be more than someone else's problem child.

No boat is 'hassle free'.  There is always something to tinker with, needs tweaking, repaired, replaced or upgraded.

You might find an early to mid 80s,  K&C, Glasscraft, double eagle type boat with trailer, in age appropriate good condition for that price;

Some decent examples.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nvn/boa/4496210880.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/4485121315.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/boa/4486993801.html

4TheKids

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 04:45:35 PM »

Don't.

fish_eye

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 06:33:28 PM »

I have a 16 foot sangster, with a 100 hp merc and new interior I am thinking of selling... Interested in taking a look?

Archer

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 09:33:20 AM »

$5K is pushing it. 

I can't see a 10 year old boat under $5K and 100HP going to be more than someone else's problem child.

No boat is 'hassle free'.  There is always something to tinker with, needs tweaking, repaired, replaced or upgraded.

You might find an early to mid 80s,  K&C, Glasscraft, double eagle type boat with trailer, in age appropriate good condition for that price;

Some decent examples.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nvn/boa/4496210880.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/4485121315.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/boa/4486993801.html

Thanks Damien.

That first two look good. What are the things to look out for? They all appear water ready.

Also, can u tow these with a Pontiac Montana 3.9L with 3500lb tow capacity?

Archer

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 09:39:44 AM »

Don't.

4thekids, why not? Is the age and budget too far apart that i would be buying a problem?

How about a solid 80's boat with a newer motor.  What are the red flags other the a cracked hull, weak flooring, shabby seats? I assume getting the repair history would be good, like buying a used car, to see if it was kept up.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 04:18:02 PM »

Mainly for fishing the lower fraser. Inboard or out. I see a few online for $3500-$5000 that are around 10 years old or a bit older. Around 100hp to make it up the river. For fishing and just chillin. I know little about boats. I have my license and have driven around 5 times, but rentals and skiffs only.  Is that price range for junk? I want something hassle free mechanically.

Thanks!
You should be able to find something decent for $5K.
I paid $7500 5 years ago and the same boat would be about $5K now.

I would look for (and already have):
- aluminum body - for those inevitable beachings and stray wood in the river
- an outboard - I have a 70 Evinrude from the mid-80s and works perfectly well - 45mph
- a canopy of some sort - full or bimini - it gets hot out there
- you will need a decent set of anchor, chain and rope if you want to sturgy fish

Depending on what your tastes are, good choices are bowrider and centre console.
Anything from 16 to 18 feet.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 06:29:13 PM »

You can tow those easily with your van.

My advice...find the best example of a boat that fits your needs, then have a PPI done at a reputable shop not affiliated with the seller. 

He will do a compression and leakdown test, inspect the hull, transom and all electronic functions, look for soft spots on the floor etc, check the trailer, bearings, tires and brakes if applicable. He will then give you a list of things that the boat needs now and a list of things that it might need down the road and how urgent anything is.

Then you can determine if the asking price makes sense.  ie is it already priced with that stuff in mind, or is it priced as if it needs nothing yet needs a bunch of stuff that can't wait.

Then STILL be prepared for the ongoing and unforseen 'gotchas' that come up.

My opinion, like others have mentioned.  Find the best 16'-18 aluminum, with the best running outboard you can.  Harder to hide fiberglass and wood problems and general rot with an aluminum boat.

Archer

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 09:38:57 PM »

Cheers guys! Lots of good advice.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 10:20:41 AM »

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/bod/4470077857.html

Clean rig right here with a full stand up top.  Nice looking newer trailer, kicker plate already there...

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 05:29:40 PM »

IMO you will regret buying a fiberglass boat for the Fraser. Buy an older ( like 80's model ) aluminum like a Starcraft or something. Get the motor checked out before paying for it. For 5-$7500 you should find something decent. If you really want to get more for your money look south of the border. Lots of good deals down there especially if your willing to go as far as Oregon. Lots of stuff in Seattle and north though. I plan on buying something next year and I will be going south for my purchase.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

arimaBOATER

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 12:33:13 AM »

Agree with BB.
Worked well for us.
Got a deal at Boat Country Everett Wa.
They have a good website.

But if a deal is to be had here go for it.
Sometimes a boat being sold here was bought down south of the line.

When we sell our 16 ft. Sea Explorer in super shape someone will get a super boat.
( I did the the work for them getting it across the line already )