Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for advice on buying first fishing boat for under $3000  (Read 822 times)

LoSTLeaDeR

-I'm looking at buying a boat to fish from with my boys.
-We've been fishing from the shore up and down the tidal Fraser in Delta for the last few years. (mostly Wellington Point)
-We haven't had much luck getting anything on the hook from the dock, but I see people in boats catching fish.
-I don't know anything about boats or how much power/size I need to safely handle the waters of the Fraser with my two boys on board.
-I've been considering the following:
Foldable Boats like Porta-Bote, Inflatables, Rowboat, Fishing Kayaks, Square back canoes with outboard, 12-18' Aluminum fishing or John boat with 9.9hp,  and the occasional old fiberglass motorboat or bowrider? that looks like it's been taken care of.
-I have a small SUV with a roof rack and towing capacity of 1600lbs.
-I would like to be able to take my kids where the fish are so they can actually catch something. Something I can throw on the roof would be perfect, but it has to be safe.
-Please offer your advice on buying a boat.
-I simply want to get a boat that best suits by criteria and budget and is safe.
Thank you for your input.
Michael
***I DON'T NEED PARENTING ADVICE OR ANY CRITICISM OF MY FISHING LOCATIONS PLEASE***

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Looking for advice on buying first fishing boat for under $3000
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 02:54:35 PM »

Can you launch for free or is there a boat launch where you plan to fish - otherwise there's a cost of travel or for launching.
Can you store an 18' or any trailered boat?
Can your kids help lift anything yet?
A 12' aluminum boat is barely manageable by one fairly strong person. Do you have storage space for that?
A quality inflatable will be most stable for what you are considering (personally I don't like fishing out of them) but you can get away with less hp required to move the inflatable and many people love them.

I would never recommend or advise a square back canoe or rowboat out there. I've never been in a porta-bote - and by the looks of them, nobody my size should ever get into one of them. Old glass bowrider - lots of them out there and you can get an excellent but dated package out there within your budget - but beware - most have spent their 20-30+ years outside so be prepared to keep peeling off $1000 bills on various repairs.

If you have the space, a nice 14-16' open aluminum boat with a 10-year old or newer 25-40hp on a decent trailer is going to fit your needs well.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 09:11:49 PM »

This is really a general discussion topic not a buy/sell ad.

There are lots of boat packages on Craigslist that would fit your needs.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 03:42:54 PM »

While we're on the topic...

Anyone have an opinion on what a late 90s to early 00's 15-20hp, 2 stroke should cost?  Provided it has been maintained and is in fair to good overall condition?