Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trailering 12ft jon w 5hp 4 stroke  (Read 2144 times)

RG

Trailering 12ft jon w 5hp 4 stroke
« on: May 23, 2014, 06:42:01 PM »

What is the best way to trailer my 12ft jon with a 5hp 4 stroke?  I noticed the motor does a fair bit of bouncing while on the transom and Im afraid something will snap with a big bounce. Any thoughts? 

I see the pros and cons of tilting it up as well as leaving it in the upright position, should I just consider keeping it in the van while travelling? If thats the case is it paramount that it stays in the upright position, obviously with the oil case I can't just lay it on its side.  Thanks!

iCemAn

Re: Trailering 12ft jon w 5hp 4 stroke
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 07:08:08 PM »

For a motor that small I would either take the motor off and put it in the truck or leave it on the boat in the down position. Don't tilt small motors up while driving. If its bouncing a lot and a concern about damaging the transom you can get transom saver that will attach to the leg of the motor and brace on the trailer to reduce the bouncing and torque on the transom.

If you are laying it down in the vehicle for transportation normally the motor will say lay this side up/down only. If you are doing that for travel (not storage) then I wouldn't see a problem.
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

RG

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 07:15:30 PM »

Perfect thanks!  I found the manual and it says almost exactly that.  Cheers!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 07:30:31 PM »

RG, I have the same set up as you: 12ft on a trailer with a 5hp 4-stroke. As the manual and other have said do NOT tow with the motor tilted up as it could pop loose and drop/smash down, and that angle puts a extra stress on the transom. If you need to tilt it up for clearance from the ground then make sure to use a transom saver bar.

The lowest point on my outboard's leg it 14 inches off the ground (when on the trailer). I have not had any issues with clearance. That being said befroe I back it into a lake I always tilt it up just in case.

I also bought a heavy black rubber bungy cord that I use to give the motor extra stability when towing. I just strap it across the back of the boat and over he back of the bonnet. It keeps the motor from twisting from side to side.

Also another good idea IMO is to buy a outboard lock. They go over the bolts that tighten the motor to the transom, making it a real bother if someone wants to steal your motor. Yes if they really want it they are going to find a way to cut/break this lock, but it is a good deterant and makes your motor less of an appealing target,. I got mine from Cascade in Chilliwack.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 08:27:01 AM »

For such a small motor, I find the saver bar thingies a bit over kill.

The bungie cord suggestion is the way to go and its how i trailer with my 5hp on my tinny.

But do whatever floats your boat.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 05:18:14 PM »

By all means, take the motor off. And, the surest way of causing an aluminum boat to have leaky rivets is to tow it over gravel roads. My 14 foot aluminum never leaked a drop when I put it on my roof rack. Two years after towing it on a trailer it started leaking.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 06:10:20 PM »

i ounce put my motor laying on the side in my boat on the trailer and the boat and motor both took a beating ! from them on it goes in the back of my truck on a peice of carpet !