Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mayan Riviera fishing suggestions  (Read 2612 times)

DRP79

Mayan Riviera fishing suggestions
« on: May 19, 2014, 06:07:45 PM »

Hey folks, I am off to the Mayan Riviera in 18 days and would like to line up some fishing. I am staying at the Barcelo in Puerto Aventuras. I would like to try fly fishing the flats with a guide for a day and I also wouldnt mind being able to fish from the beach in the mornings from the resort.

I would like to know if anyone has any guides/areas that they have tried and liked as well as what I may encounter from shore. I have done some research and see that where the hotel is may not be ideal for shore fishing but I have not been there myself. I went in Cabo and we were using some heavy duty gear like 12' rods with large spinning reals with 30lb braid and 100lb leaders and large top water lures etc. Im not sure anything that heavy is needed on the other side.

I have a medium light spinning setup (9ft) as well as a 5 wt fly rod. I think the 5wt may be a little small but im here for input and suggestions.

Cheers

dereke

• Old Timer
Re: Mayan Riviera fishing suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 06:11:18 AM »

If you have your heart set on a guide most will supply you with fly gear. If you got into a snook, permit or decent sized baby tarpon I would imagine your 5 weight would leave you under gunned. Your 5 weight however would be quite fun fishing in and around the resorts. I brought a 6 weight for this and had a lot of fun with the reef fish. Bare in mind I have heard of some people being harassed by resort staff and there may be areas that you aren't aloud to fish but I had zero issues in Puerto Morelos. Crazy Charlie's and 3" olive/white bait fish patterns were the best patterns for me. Really neat to have pelicans dive bombing around you and sting rays swimming by your feet while you are fishing in an amazing setting. I had a fly fishing trip booked up North in Isla Blanca but wound up ill the day of and had to cancel. Bottom line is bring your gear, no big deal if you can't use it but you'll regret if you can and didn't bring it.
always a student

Burkie

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 02:13:28 PM »

Yeah 5 wt is a but light.. U got to remember
Fish down there pull .. It's nothing like fish up here.
For that area. 7wt setup will be good for bones.
For permit and smaller tarpon 10 wt and min 200 yards
Of backing . A small bone can take runs of 150 yards
Or more.

Google and do some research on guudes and areas lots of info
Once u hook one of those fish u are gonna be spoiled and never
Look at the fish here the same way

DRP79

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:19:23 AM »

So it looks like I will be heading to Cozumel for a day of fishing the flats in the lagoons on the north side of the island. Its a company called Aquarius and they do have good reviews.

Im not sure If I will be taking my own equipment to try from the beach but my mind could change before I leave.

StillAqua

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 09:02:34 PM »

Staying at the Barcelo Maya? Great resort. Magnificient beach for all water sports, even fishing. We're headed there in 3 weeks ourselves (3rd time).

Head north along the beach away from the white sand and onto the rocky beach past the signs that say you are leaving Barcelo property. Stay along the shoreline (which is fine to walk, the inland is private property). You can throw spoons or flies for a variety fish. Some people fish off the southern part of the beach early in the morning...you can't once the swimmers start to show up.

You'll have a blast.