Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Watch & Fawn Lakes, May 18th 2014  (Read 1276 times)

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
Watch & Fawn Lakes, May 18th 2014
« on: May 19, 2014, 09:08:20 AM »

Braved the wind and downpours and managed to get out twice on Sunday.

Went to Watch Lake early in the morning and trolled flies around for a few hours. There was a substantial hatch going on the entire time I was there and lots of surface feeding activity. Managed to get one decent sized rainbow and had a few more hits before the cold rain got the better of me and sent me packing.

Went out to Fawn Lake in the early afternoon (bundled up in warmer, dryer clothes). In spite of the conditions, there were lots of people out trying their luck. Most appeared to be fishing chironomids in an area just off of Fawn Lake Resort. There was definitely a hatch happening here as well. No action at all on my usual leech and scud favourites so switched to a damselfly nymph on one line and a basic black and white nymph on the other.  Once I had switched, I was getting taps on both of them every few minutes or so, almost like the fish were just playing with the flies. Seemed similar to the way the fish hit at Pressy Lake, lots of action but no solid bites.

Eventually got a solid pull on the damselfly and had a fish on. Not much fight at all so I was surprised when I got it to the boat and saw a nice fat 36cm chromer. Swam right into the net and was on board in no time at all.

Caught and released a couple small ones and then just as I was getting ready to pack it in, I got a hit on the black and white nymph. Unlike the previous keeper, this one hit and ran, screaming the reel and putting me into the backing before I could even stow the oars and get the rod out of the holder!  Several jumps and runs later, it was at the boat and in the net. 2 cm shorter than the first one, but a lot fatter.

Looked up the stocking info when I got back and saw that Fawn has been stocked with Pennask and Blackwater rainbows. Looked more closely and saw that the first one I kept was a Pennask and the fighter was a Blackwater. Don't know if this is typical behaviour of the two types or not...maybe I'll go back and do some more "research"