Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finally a break from the salmon/steelhead.  (Read 4951 times)

Brian the fisherman

Finally a break from the salmon/steelhead.
« on: May 08, 2014, 11:12:53 AM »

Time to enjoy the local lakes, and the interior lakes too!
chronomid fishing!!
Anyone else excited to do some fly fishing or what ever fishing you do on the lakes during the break off salmon/steel?

I plan to fish hard for some trout this spring before the gongshow sock opening potential.
Tight lines to all

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Finally a break from the salmon/steelhead.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 02:14:12 PM »

I have been dying to get out lake fishing.

I've had an opportunity or two in the last few weeks but they haven't come together.
I am very leary of early season lake fishing because you can frequently wake up to snow.
Been snowed on many times so the drive to get out early has worn off a bit.

Plus, chironomid fishing doesn't really pick up unless the weather has been 15C+ for a few days.

I have 4 trips scheduled over the 8 weeks so I should get some good fishing in.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 08:37:08 PM »

I have been dying to get out lake fishing.

I've had an opportunity or two in the last few weeks but they haven't come together.
I am very leary of early season lake fishing because you can frequently wake up to snow.
Been snowed on many times so the drive to get out early has worn off a bit.

Plus, chironomid fishing doesn't really pick up unless the weather has been 15C+ for a few days.

I have 4 trips scheduled over the 8 weeks so I should get some good fishing in.

part about the snow can be true. My first trip was Easter, no snow and several large trout on tiny chironies  ;)

done a day trip since then just last weekend, fishing looked to be stellar until the wind blew us off the water, literally !!

next trip is May long (used to be my first trip) and I cant wait. Last year it was gang busters with many over 20 fish days with nothing under 16"  ;D

here is a couple from the Easter trip -

Last pic is the yap of a fish 8-10lbs !!  :o
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 11:14:10 AM »

Nice catches, Hook! Definitely not the Lower Mainland. My guess is somewhere between Kamloops and Merritt (Roche perhaps?).
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 08:56:58 AM »

Beautiful. That is just getting me jacked and ready for my haul  8)
nice fish.
Tight lines to all

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 02:18:13 PM »

This is what makes spring lake fishing season so awesome.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 02:24:17 PM by Rodney »

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 05:26:57 PM »

Great collages Rod, I think they sum up spring stillwater fishing quite nicely. Although if you would have included a pic of a lake with whitecaps in the afternoon from the wind, it would have summed it up perfectly.

Animal Chin

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 07:06:37 PM »

Can one fish these lakes with a frameless pontoon craft and a little electric motor?

Something like this:

http://www.seaeagle.com/FramelessPontoonBoats.aspx

And just generally, when does the season end for stillwater trout? Just planning for the future... probably too late to get my act together this year.

Golfer

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 07:59:41 PM »

Can one fish these lakes with a frameless pontoon craft and a little electric motor?

Something like this:

http://www.seaeagle.com/FramelessPontoonBoats.aspx

And just generally, when does the season end for stillwater trout? Just planning for the future... probably too late to get my act together this year.

The fishing can/will be quite good up until mid June, depending on the lake.  That being said in the heat of the summer, there can still be very good trout fishing in the morning or evening.  Then by late September and through October, the fishing will be very good at almost all times throughout the day.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 08:23:50 PM »

The fishing can/will be quite good up until mid June, depending on the lake.  That being said in the heat of the summer, there can still be very good trout fishing in the morning or evening.  Then by late September and through October, the fishing will be very good at almost all times throughout the day.

Generally solid info however higher elevation lakes can be great right through summer. Some lakes get what's called a "bomber" hatch of giant chironomid which is usually late July/ early August and can make for some stellar summer lake fishing. Also lakes that see less pressure can be good through the summer. You can also fish right into the darkness during summer under good moonlight, this can see the monsters of the lake come in very shallow to feed. August its best to find lakes of 4500' or higher for ok to decent fishing and even then it can be best morning/evening and sporadic during the day unless a good hatch comes on or you find the deep pockets they are stacking in and can find what they will take consistently

The group of guys I normally fish with usually ignore lakes and hit a river or two during late July/August but then its back to lakes or salmon in the fall depending on what type of fishing we feel like doing.

Animal Chin - yes you can fish from any type of watercraft. If you want to anchor and cast then choosing something you can stand in while casting is a great choice
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

tburns

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 10:06:58 PM »

Generally solid info however higher elevation lakes can be great right through summer. Some lakes get what's called a "bomber" hatch of giant chironomid which is usually late July/ early August and can make for some stellar summer lake fishing. Also lakes that see less pressure can be good through the summer. You can also fish right into the darkness during summer under good moonlight, this can see the monsters of the lake come in very shallow to feed. August its best to find lakes of 4500' or higher for ok to decent fishing and even then it can be best morning/evening and sporadic during the day unless a good hatch comes on or you find the deep pockets they are stacking in and can find what they will take consistently

The group of guys I normally fish with usually ignore lakes and hit a river or two during late July/August but then its back to lakes or salmon in the fall depending on what type of fishing we feel like doing.

Animal Chin - yes you can fish from any type of watercraft. If you want to anchor and cast then choosing something you can stand in while casting is a great choice

I was up at wood lake a couple of weeks back.  Tried fishing by the moonlight but I was thinking it would be serene to toss out a dry and watch a big take in the moonlight...

KarateKick

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 02:54:13 PM »

Dumb question: Do you take the salmon/steelhead lures out of the tackle box and put in trout lures now?  Or do you use mostly the same lures and just change the hooks?

tburns

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 04:19:47 PM »

Dumb question: Do you take the salmon/steelhead lures out of the tackle box and put in trout lures now?  Or do you use mostly the same lures and just change the hooks?

lol well my steelhead flies are nearly as big as the trouts i'll be going for...