Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shotgun suggestions..  (Read 5574 times)

stumpsjr

Shotgun suggestions..
« on: May 08, 2014, 10:40:58 AM »

Hi Everyone,

Just want to thank everyone for the advice on locations to shoot in the bush, I ended up finding some good spots up off the Mamquam service road. So I wanted to come to you guys for some suggestions on shotguns. I'm looking for suggestions on a gun that would be a good all round gun. I've done a fair bit of trap & I'm very interested into taking up duck and geese hunting in the Fall. I was originally set on the Browning maxus hunter, but a guy at Island Outfitters in Victoria explained that theyre nearly impossible to find because Browning is about 3 years behind on production. So I've decided until I can find one of those, I want to look at getting a reasonably priced pump for shooting clays and maybe some duck hunting if that Browning hasn't been located yet. The pumps I'm looking at right now are:

- Remington 870 Express
- Mossberg 500

I'm also open to any other suggestions (not limiting it to just pumps, but I would like to keep things around 600 bucks), thanks guys.

Cam

Toprod

Re: Shotgun suggestions..
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 09:18:33 PM »

I have the 870 Super Express Magnum, approx 2500 rounds and it hasn't jammed once!

kid fisherman

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »

X..2 on the 870 supermag I use mine every weekend during duck season and the only thing you must make sure is you clean it well. That goes for every gun. Lastly if you could bump up your budget to$800 you could get yourself a super nova. My brother got one and is loving it make a great duck and goose gun and can also be use for deer and bear deference.

stumpsjr

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 02:51:43 PM »

Well thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm glad to hear that the 870 express is a great gun for the money. I'm wishing you hadn't mentioned that Benelli because that thing is extremely sexy. Going to be some tough decisions. Also if you ever hear of anyone wanting to get rid of their browning maxus, please think of me, I'm still trying to track one down. Thanks.

Cam

Humpy

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 04:49:16 PM »

You can get a SuperNova for $600, or a Nova for cheaper. I would strongly recommend the Benelli over the Remington. I've owned both and its worth spending a little more and getting a Benelli.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 05:17:50 PM »

... The pumps I'm looking at right now are:

- Remington 870 Express
- Mossberg 500

I dont have extensive shotgun experience but I own a Moss 500. It wont be the most glamorous choice but it's rugged and reliable with lots of aftermarket parts (though not as much as the 870).

It will be nowhere near $600. More like $300 unless you go for the multi barrel combos which will still be under your budget.