Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish Farms On 60 minutes  (Read 18613 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: Fish Farms On 60 minutes
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 09:35:19 AM »

S steve
DFO staff gagged.
Fry full of lice caught in waters near the farms.
Slice & antibiotics .
Farm fish sold in stores that look so bloody sickly.
( maybe fell on the production floor & found the next day & packaged )
Labs have found viruses & instead of a "let's get to the bottom of this" it's more like a mafia sneaky sweep it under the rug" attitude.
It's all about $$$$$ & as long as idiots eat farm salmon & the $$$$ keeps rolling in the powers in charge will be like those 3 monkeys.
I see nothing
I hear nothing
I say nothing.
The Thompson River had crystal clear waters like Lake Louise color.
Today it's far from that.
Point being everything in BC is not as natural & unpolluted as it once was.
Same goes with our coastal waters & beautiful wild salmon.
Last 40-60-70-90 years MAN has used the BC waters as a garbage dump.

At 6:55 pm on the nightly news DFO heads & owners of fish farms should be filmed live eating dinner together.
Menu farm salmon.
The population will tune in like an experiment & see if the eaters after time look more & more healthy OR do does their health get worst & worst. :o

DFO gags their staff & in my books ....something is going on.
Where there's smoke there's fire.

You're hilarious.

Thompson River crystal clear like Lake Louise? Lake Louise is a glacial lake. Do you know what that means?? Think about it. Why is the water that blue-green colour?  Obviously you haven't been on the North Thompson River much.  Give your head a shake.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:08:09 AM by shuswapsteve »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2014, 10:05:45 AM »

This happens as you well know, in most news stories, they film for days and so much is edited out.

Yes, and in this case they edited out the material that was important clarifying what has been done in regards to testing and detection. Why not mention the testing already done (and continuing) on ISAv by the US and Canada?  What about the fact that ISA has never been detected on BC fish farms or that if ISA was present there would be a massive loss of farmed fish - similar to Chile?  Why not mention the findings by the Cohen Commission in regards to ISA?  The audience can still be for or against, but at least they will know the facts to date.

I didn't think it was a bad news story.  In fact, it was more balanced than many I have seen to date.  Having the lawyer talk about ISA was really dumb.  Of course he sounded flustered because that is not his expertise.  He is a lawyer - not a scientist. He questioned scientists during the inquiry but it doesn't make him an expert.  Similarly, it was a bad idea to have Ms Morton acting like some fish pathology expert while combing the river banks for salmon carcasses.  Morton believes that a "mushy" heart is automatically suspicious for a foreign pathogen that is devastating wild salmon; however, if you were to ask an actual expert in that area he/she could provide a more objective opinion.  Admittedly, these days it is hard to access those individuals from government for these interviews, so unfortunately we default to the unknowledgeable activists who take advantage of the situation and the spotlight.  In both examples, it shows how the public can easily get misled if the best information is not provided.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 10:07:09 AM »

Just a small tip, please break a post like this into paragraphs as it makes it easier to read . Thanks

I usually do, but didn't in this case.  Thanks for reading at least.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2014, 12:25:23 PM »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2014, 05:13:49 PM »

Where do you find this stuff?  Atlanta sockeye? Did Almo really say there are no wild salmon left in Chile?
Have to find things for you to read each day. ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »

Yes, and in this case they edited out the material that was important clarifying what has been done in regards to testing and detection. Why not mention the testing already done (and continuing) on ISAv by the US and Canada?  What about the fact that ISA has never been detected on BC fish farms or that if ISA was present there would be a massive loss of farmed fish - similar to Chile?  Why not mention the findings by the Cohen Commission in regards to ISA?  The audience can still be for or against, but at least they will know the facts to date.

I didn't think it was a bad news story.  In fact, it was more balanced than many I have seen to date.  Having the lawyer talk about ISA was really dumb.  Of course he sounded flustered because that is not his expertise.  He is a lawyer - not a scientist. He questioned scientists during the inquiry but it doesn't make him an expert.  Similarly, it was a bad idea to have Ms Morton acting like some fish pathology expert while combing the river banks for salmon carcasses.  Morton believes that a "mushy" heart is automatically suspicious for a foreign pathogen that is devastating wild salmon; however, if you were to ask an actual expert in that area he/she could provide a more objective opinion.  Admittedly, these days it is hard to access those individuals from government for these interviews, so unfortunately we default to the unknowledgeable activists who take advantage of the situation and the spotlight.  In both examples, it shows how the public can easily get misled if the best information is not provided.
The thing that would put this to rest would be for the government to have their people or better still truly independent  scientists do a proper analyzes with no interference.

Until they do it makes what is going on very suspicious and it looks like they are trying to do a cover up. It happens all the time these days including all the gag orders which is not good in our democratic process.

I wish I was 40 or 50 years younger and had the knowledge what it takes to do proper testing and I would give  the answers, better still if I was the PM I would get it done but I know that will not happen.

Lets hope the next PM cares enough to get the job done and we can all go fishing and not spend hours on this subject, that is if there is any wild fish left for us to angle for.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 06:12:52 PM »

The thing that would put this to rest would be for the government to have their people or better still truly independent  scientists do a proper analyzes with no interference.
If you are really following this you would know this science is happening now.  Drs. Brian Riddell and Kristi Miller, the independent and government scientists you asked for (along with many more DFO collaborators), are busy with genome sequencing diseases in Pacific and farmed Atlantic's. The results of these studies will not be available for several years as much data needs to be collected and correlated; be patient, and enjoy the predicted large salmon runs coming our way, and remember the fact there is no data to implicate farmed salmon to the declines of Pacific's. 

arimaBOATER

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2014, 10:20:16 PM »

S-steve. I'm 99.999% sure that in the early 1960s the Thompson R had a pure looking river color. A far cry from what it looks today. The river was not polluted as it is today.

Here's my assumption on the nightly tv news live report at 6:55pm to 7pm.
The Dfo heads & fish farm owners smile as they are told they are on air.
They chuckle  & dig in to the baked farm salmon.
Next night we all tune in to watch them eat fried farm salmon.
The audience increases to record numbers & the other channels nearly have zero viewers.
Smoked farm salmon.
Canned farm salmon.
On & on...
After a few short years some of the Dfo heads & fish farm owners are being replaced by others,from their respective departments.
Now the talk of the town & rumours is they must of got replaced because of failing health.

Facts are the science department of either SFU or UBC came out in a major local newspaper, like 2 full pages & spelled out that the public should eat only one farm salmon per month.
Eating anymore the article stated would be bad for your health !!!
Think it was back about 15-20 years ago when I read it.
I do not forget certain things in life.
Hate to put bad food in my mouth that will go in, drop into my digestion area & into my bloodstream & into my cells.
Only eat 1 per month or else tells me the fish must be full of crap that will harm my body.
& I'm to hand over $$$ & enjoy the meal ?  :o

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 10:59:22 PM »

If you are really following this you would know this science is happening now.  Drs. Brian Riddell and Kristi Miller, the independent and government scientists you asked for (along with many more DFO collaborators), are busy with genome sequencing diseases in Pacific and farmed Atlantic's. The results of these studies will not be available for several years as much data needs to be collected and correlated; be patient, and enjoy the predicted large salmon runs coming our way, and remember the fact there is no data to implicate farmed salmon to the declines of Pacific's.
Of course I know this but still a bit concerned that there still is a FOC connection all around and I believe you would know how KM was handled before.

Also I know you hold BR in high estem as do I but it still worries me in what the out come will be and years to wait may be too long to get the answers we need before we are at a point of no return, I hope I am wrong on all counts.

Also could you give us the results from when you tested the sockeye at the creek mouths and on the Harrison when I did the feature for Global TV (BC TV then) with you I donot think I every heard what the results where, although I know you were checking for the Parvicapsula virus.You should be free to talk now being retired for some time since we did the story, I should review my tape too.

One final note I wonder what new results will be by KM and BR and hope not just a rehash of this.

http://www.watershed-watch.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Exh-1512-CAN464339.pdf
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:02:20 AM by chris gadsden »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2014, 08:06:32 AM »

Of course I know this but still a bit concerned that there still is a FOC connection all around and I believe you would know how KM was handled before.

Also I know you hold BR in high estem as do I but it still worries me in what the out come will be and years to wait may be too long to get the answers we need before we are at a point of no return, I hope I am wrong on all counts.

Also could you give us the results from when you tested the sockeye at the creek mouths and on the Harrison when I did the feature for Global TV (BC TV then) with you I donot think I every heard what the results where, although I know you were checking for the Parvicapsula virus.You should be free to talk now being retired for some time since we did the story, I should review my tape too.

One final note I wonder hat new results will be by KM and BR and hope not just a rehash of this.

http://www.watershed-watch.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Exh-1512-CAN464339.pdf

I understand where you are coming from, but you can't complain DFO isn't doing anything then criticize them when they are doing something.  Cohen even said in his recommendations that DFO needs to be the authority and lead in these circumstances. I believe your issue isn't so much with the department as it is who they report to.  In that case a change of the guard might have the desirable result you are looking for or it may not.  To be clear, it was the Privy Council that directed who Dr. Miller was to talk to - not DFO.  If you look at the report and the testimony from the inquiry you will see.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2014, 08:43:19 AM »

That was a long time ago, Chris. If memory serves we were sampling sockeye that had entered freshwater earlier than normal.  This happened very frequently about 10-15 years ago, and almost always resulted in high pre spawn mortalities from Parvicapsula minicornis, a myxosporean parasite (not a virus) that basically shut down the fish's kidney function.  This work was published, probably by Dr. Sophie St. Hilaire, or Dr. Simon Jones
The fact you filmed me shows I was not muzzled and in fact, I was encouraged to speak to the public regarding fishery issues, especially those involving Cultus Lake sockeye.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2014, 08:59:53 AM »

That was a long time ago, Chris. If memory serves we were sampling sockeye that had entered freshwater earlier than normal.  This happened very frequently about 10-15 years ago, and almost always resulted in high pre spawn mortalities from Parvicapsula minicornis, a myxosporean parasite (not a virus) that basically shut down the fish's kidney function.  This work was published, probably by Dr. Sophie St. Hilaire, or Dr. Simon Jones
The fact you filmed me shows I was not muzzled and in fact, I was encouraged to speak to the public regarding fishery issues, especially those involving Cultus Lake sockeye.
Right on, too bad they donot allow their people to do that now a days. Should try and find that tape and somehow figure out how to get it up on u tube but that would be like trying to get the answers to the FF issue. :D :D :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2014, 09:11:35 AM »

I understand where you are coming from, but you can't complain DFO isn't doing anything then criticize them when they are doing something.  Cohen even said in his recommendations that DFO needs to be the authority and lead in these circumstances. I believe your issue isn't so much with the department as it is who they report to.  In that case a change of the guard might have the desirable result you are looking for or it may not.  To be clear, it was the Privy Council that directed who Dr. Miller was to talk to - not DFO.  If you look at the report and the testimony from the inquiry you will see.
Points taken but these days it seems anything connected to government can be deemed to be very suspicious in what is going on, they need to be more open so the public trust can once again be gained.

Maybe I am being too cynical because of my advanced age as that can happened to us pensioners. ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2014, 04:40:50 PM »

http://vimeo.com/95472618

If nothing else listen to around the 10 minute mark and you will hear someone else that I believe is held in high esteem how scientist in government are muzzled these days, including FOC.