Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish Farms On 60 minutes  (Read 18612 times)

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Fish Farms On 60 minutes
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2014, 11:00:50 AM »

"S-steve. I'm 99.999% sure that in the early 1960s the Thompson R had a pure looking river color. A far cry from what it looks today. The river was not polluted as it is today."

--I moved to Kamloops in 1964... I think thats early 60's

--The city of kamloops was basically dumping their effluent into the river with some primary treatment from settlement ponds.
--Ecology students of the then Cariboo college were collecting water samples from kamloops lake to establish baseline data before the addition of Weyco water discharge
--Weyco built the pulp mill in 1972 again adding nutrient to the river however at the time it was aerated and under stricter cotnrol than the city water.

--It was convenient at the time to blame Weyco for the problems of the Thompson however the City of Kamloops was a major contributor being one of the largest growing cities of the time

--People noticed changes to the river downstream and Kamloops lake started to show signs of increased nutrient load.

--The City embarked on a program to modify the treatment of water but still had to dump under permit at some times as did North Kamloops even after the city waste was intergrated.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 01:37:26 PM by skaha »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2014, 12:51:40 PM »

Someone should give his head a shake..........
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2014, 10:38:07 PM »

"S-steve. I'm 99.999% sure that in the early 1960s the Thompson R had a pure looking river color. A far cry from what it looks today. The river was not polluted as it is today."

--I moved to Kamloops in 1964... I think thats early 60's

--The city of kamloops was basically dumping their effluent into the river with some primary treatment from settlement ponds.
--Ecology students of the then Cariboo college were collecting water samples from kamloops lake to establish baseline data before the addition of Weyco water discharge
--Weyco built the pulp mill in 1972 again adding nutrient to the river however at the time it was aerated and under stricter cotnrol than the city water.

--It was convenient at the time to blame Weyco for the problems of the Thompson however the City of Kamloops was a major contributor being one of the largest growing cities of the time

--People noticed changes to the river downstream and Kamloops lake started to show signs of increased nutrient load.

--The City embarked on a program to modify the treatment of water but still had to dump under permit at some times as did North Kamloops even after the city waste was intergrated.

You are comparing treatment done back in the 60s to what is done now?  Is the car you drove in the 60s less or more fuel efficient than the one you drive now?  What about the emission controls?  The City of Kamloops is made many improvements over the years in waste water treatment - likely better than most places.  However, the comment about the Thompson having "pure looking" river colour is silly if one were to look at the headwaters of the North Thompson for example.  When it rains like it did tonight (especially spring run-off) that river is going to look like chocolate milk.  It's called suspended material.  A-boater is a funny dude.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2014, 08:14:59 PM »

--I wasn't making a point about treatment today... only that.. I'm 99.9% sure the Thompson wasn't so pure back in the 60's.

--The North Kamloops water intake.. (don't know where it is today)  was in the North Thompson... cooler water than the South Thompson.
--The North Thompson water system was often shut down during run off due to the turbitity of the North Thompson and the odd Cow that would float down after winter ice off and get stuck near the intake.

--I would hope that the sewer water treatment is much improved now...

Is the car you drove in the 60s less or more fuel efficient than the one you drive now?

-- My 64 falcon got I think 15 mpg my 09 tacoma gets about 29 mpg... but I bet there are more than double the amount of cars on the road so the total amount of fuel being consumed now is likely much  more than it was in the 60s.