Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly fishing on the island near Shawnigan  (Read 9441 times)

Whopperman

fly fishing on the island near Shawnigan
« on: May 03, 2014, 06:18:32 PM »

I know that the bulk of people on here are from the mainland, as am I, however I will find myself up in Shawnigan lake in late June and was wandering if there is any sense in bringing the float tubes with me. My wife hasn't really been out for just about five years (fly fishing that is(2 kids)) and I want to make sure she catches fish (catch and release is what we practice.). If it were just me I would just explore, float around and fish all day, with my wife we will only probably have about 3hrs tops for child care and would like to show her a nice time. (minds out of the gutter). She truly loves fly fishing and it would be nice to surprise her with a reasonably successful outing. If anyone could help a brother out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dallas

Quinsam_Lose_Some

Re: fly fishing on the island near Shawnigan
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 07:06:17 PM »

Hi Whopperman.

I haven't fished Shawnigan for a number of years. I did check the stocking report and was pleasantly surprised to see that they've stocked about 9,000 rainbows in there since the middle of October last year. (That number might appear large but it is of course quite a big body of water.)

At the south end of the lake there's a small island that has been productive for me in the past. Maybe try working the front of the island (facing the biggest part of the lake) Woolies and leech patterns have worked in the past along the edge of the shoal about twenty or so feet from the front of the island.

Early mornings and dusk will likely be the most pleasant for a float as by that time of year the jet skis and yahoos in speed boats can create a lot of noise.

Tight lines and enjoy the island. 

Whopperman

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 01:19:24 AM »

thanks for the info. I had google maps up and saw those islands to the south and thought it would be a good place to start. I too read the stocking report and was also amazed at the number being put in there.

Thanks again

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 10:30:48 AM »

there are smallmouth bass in there now and they can get a very good size and are very sporty. The trout I have taken out of the lake are well conditioned. Like many lakes where there are bass and trout - the trout tend to stay in the deeper water while the bass prefer the shallower stuff ( as long as the water isn't too warm) and structure like logs rocks wharfs etc.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 01:19:11 PM »

I fish Shawnigan Lake every year about this time and into the summer. Right now the bass will be looking for spawning areas near shore and under docks that are not being used. The trout tend to stay in the middle of the lake to get away from the aggressive bass. There are lots of submerged and barely submerged rocky shoals. A sounder is helpful. I've taken trout up to 4 pounds and bass up to 21 inches in length. Spawning bass do not like odd things on their nest and will pick them up and carry them away, but not necessarily eat them.

Whopperman

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 02:42:37 PM »

Fantastic info, thanks so much. However, I have run into another question. Has anyone fished/had luck in Grant lake to the west of Shawnigan? I can't seem to find any info on it, ie parking/campsite on the lake etc. Again any info is great. Thanks in advance.

Dallas

Ian Forbes

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 04:46:06 PM »

Fantastic info, thanks so much. However, I have run into another question. Has anyone fished/had luck in Grant lake to the west of Shawnigan? I can't seem to find any info on it, ie parking/campsite on the lake etc. Again any info is great. Thanks in advance.

Dallas

I fished Grant Lake a long time ago and had some success with smallish cutthroat, but I believe it is in private property with possibly a watershed closure. I don't recall any parking or camping. Shawnigan is a much more productive lake.

Here is a map I drew of Shawnigan.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 04:49:55 PM by Ian Forbes »

Quinsam_Lose_Some

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 08:01:36 PM »

Hello Ian.
I used to fish in a wonderful little lake that I'm loathe to mention by name as it was indeed a mystical experience and part of the mystique was the incredible solitude. In the early 80's I used to catch some small to mid size cutthroat that if memory serves, I think were wild. If you saw just one other float tube or canoe you'd say humph, pretty busy today lol.
    I was told that this pachyderm sounding little gem no longer produced. Close to making a spectacle of myself where I think you still might find one of the few places where eastern brookies get tossed, which in itself is a pleasant enough little float.

Q:Do you know where I'm on about? Is it gated now? How's fishin' been.

Course there's always Dougans if you dont mind fishing on the highway and the wind is blowing the dairy farm up into the Warm Land. Still see lots of guys power-baiting and floating in the back corner, some nice cutties and stocked RB's in there but.... sure is dangerous pulling in and out of.

Thanks 

Ian Forbes

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 09:23:03 PM »

Hello Ian.
I used to fish in a wonderful little lake that I'm loathe to mention by name as it was indeed a mystical experience and part of the mystique was the incredible solitude. In the early 80's I used to catch some small to mid size cutthroat that if memory serves, I think were wild. If you saw just one other float tube or canoe you'd say humph, pretty busy today lol.
    I was told that this pachyderm sounding little gem no longer produced. Close to making a spectacle of myself where I think you still might find one of the few places where eastern brookies get tossed, which in itself is a pleasant enough little float.

Q:Do you know where I'm on about? Is it gated now? How's fishin' been.

Course there's always Dougans if you dont mind fishing on the highway and the wind is blowing the dairy farm up into the Warm Land. Still see lots of guys power-baiting and floating in the back corner, some nice cutties and stocked RB's in there but.... sure is dangerous pulling in and out of.

Thanks

There were only two lakes on Vancouver Island that I'm aware of that had Eastern Brook trout. One was near the height of land on the Malahat highway. The other was in the Port Renfrew to Lake Cowichan area. I'm not sure if they still have any Brookies now and I haven't caught one there in at least 10 years. Most Island lakes have trout of some sort and I've found little cutthroat in places where it didn't seem possible.

Quinsam_Lose_Some

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 08:23:59 PM »

Hi Ian.
Thanks for the reply.

'near the height of land on the Malahat' That's the one.

The little lake i'm interested to know if you've fished recently (within the last few years) is very near there, however is tricky to find and get into.

I was told that this pachyderm sounding little gem no longer produced. Close to making a spectacle

Used to be two logging roads into it, one near 'the height of the malahat' and the other came up through the bottom near the old cement plant.

That drive down the back of Cowichan Lake is very enjoyable, maybe a little rough at times. I'm sure I know which lake held the Brookies, though never caught any off 'em.... didn't even know they were there. Thanks for the info.