Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gotta wet a line but so many distractions at the moment.  (Read 2204 times)

arimaBOATER

Gotta wet a line but so many distractions at the moment.
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:37:40 PM »

As I am looking after my 88 yr old dad ( wheelchair & 2.5 yrs ago stoke victim ) 24/7 as he's total care.
Thus can only get away for 1.5 - 2 hrs breaks. ( of course he's not left alone & my cell is on )
On one of these breaks was bike riding thru Steveston & seen that really nice new long dock just east from downtown of the village.
Thinking of going down there & casting some spinners & spoons.
Suppose most use sinkers & was wondering if there are lots of snags or possibly the bottom is quite free of debris.
Actually have gotten lots of hits under the south side of the #2 bridge.

Because of limited time it is not worth launching the boat. Sure miss those outings.

As for the distractions, it's the hockey play offs so it's a choice of fishing or watching the games.
Games win out. 
But nothing comes close to the excitement of a fish on the other end of one's line.
Cutthroat as far as your & others posts ha! I'll not respond though there are some good comeback replies. It's a fishing forum so here's my fish post.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Gotta wet a line but so many distractions at the moment.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:44:54 PM »

Taking care of an elderly parent 24/7 can be a very stressful job. Good luck.

Archer

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 03:44:49 PM »

I recall Rod saying somewhere on his website that the new area along the Southarm is not great.  Mainly good for kids fishing, as it is easy access, and better chance of small course fish like Northern Pike Minnow or Peamouth Chub.  Some salmon will run past, but now right now.  Ya never know, try and let us know.  Maybe you will land a good size Northern Pikeminnow or a Dolly!!
I like Dump Bar in Richmond, off Triangle Rd. near 6 Rd. Or Dyke road at the end of Ironwood? But only did Dyke Rd. when the Pinks were running.

Good luck!

arimaBOATER

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 04:39:29 PM »

FA after doing a lot of dif. stressful challenging jobs,psy. gr. homes,floor waxing,bus driver, being a care aid is not really stressful but never really getting a break is hard.
Cook,cleaner,shopper,driver,laundry etc
But it is rewarding because it's one 's dad.

Care workers are responsible but sadly there are some bad ones. Plus too many stories of seniors attacking seniors in facilities.
Archer good info.
On high tides it gets quite deep at the # 2 bridge. Cast my bar rig about 5ft from the big concrete footing. Just SW side of it.
Lots of coarse fish ( worms as bait ) but some big have hit & have broken my 15 lb line within 30 secs.

Quinsam_Lose_Some

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 08:53:58 PM »

I commend you on your commitment. Being the primary caregiver is indeed a very tough job.
Let me say that when you look back on this time, you will feel great satisfaction in knowing that you did all you could to preserve your fathers dignity. That alone is worth more than all the fish you'll ever catch.

Lots of time to fish later. Enjoy your Dad's remaining time now.

Blessings on you both.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:25:01 PM »

Q_L_S thanks for the kind comments (all for everyone's kind words)
If I knew senior homes were 100% safe possibly my parents would be there  but sadly just heard too many stories that a few staff cut corners & also there have been so many reports of seniors attacking seniors.
Even seniors killing seniors !!!

My greatest memories will be boating & fishing from 2004 to 2011 on a regular basis in a 14 ft boat,then in a 16 ft ,sold that one & bought another 16ft but much wider. 7ft 6in beam.

We caught a lot of fish but the most exciting " crap our pants " times were the water conditions we faced many times in the Fraser,Sandheads, Howe Sound, & the amazing nature views one sees from being on the water.

These adventures will always be in my mind till my passing.
We all have an appointment where we "kick the bucket" hopefully mine is not soon & as my dad is 88 try to make each day special.
Another benefit of looking after one's parents is one can give them healthy meals.
Skim milk, veggies,lean meats,chicken, fish,fruits...

Back to fishing; my dad was so so happy when landing a salmon. Will never forget his joy.

Highly recommend parents take your kids out fishing & one day they will take the parent(s) fishing in return.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:28:37 PM by A-BOATER »