Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is a custom rod a waste when your new at the sport?  (Read 11820 times)

Wool

Is a custom rod a waste when your new at the sport?
« on: April 06, 2014, 11:39:14 PM »

Question for the masses, I'm absolutely new at the center pin and I bought a 4 3/4" Milner bushing reel. I bought a 10 1/2" convergence medium action. It all seems to work, but, I'm told to go with a custom Sage blah, blah, blah... with the special Cork and eyes, colours and ...blah, blah, blah...  (Been fishing with an Abu and Fenwick 10 1/2" for a couple of years.)
  I get the descent pole idea, the idea of a a little longer ( 11' ) sounds great, but, am I just wasting money? I seen poles in Sea Run, Fred's, Pacific Anglers all in the higher end. Does a new guy benefit at all from these?
  I respect the wisdom here so hit me straight please. Hope this is the right forum if not I apologize.

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Is a custom rod a waste when your new at the sport?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 07:33:46 AM »

It depends on your definition of "wasting money".
An expensive custom rod won't make you cast better and it won't catch you more fish.
It can make your day more enjoyable (lighter, better balanced, better cork with fewer pits) and they are nice to look at.
Sage wouldn't exist if it were only about $ per fish.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 07:56:17 AM »

Question for the masses, I'm absolutely new at the center pin and I bought a 4 3/4" Milner bushing reel. I bought a 10 1/2" convergence medium action. It all seems to work, but, I'm told to go with a custom Sage blah, blah, blah... with the special Cork and eyes, colours and ...blah, blah, blah...  (Been fishing with an Abu and Fenwick 10 1/2" for a couple of years.)
  I get the descent pole idea, the idea of a a little longer ( 11' ) sounds great, but, am I just wasting money? I seen poles in Sea Run, Fred's, Pacific Anglers all in the higher end. Does a new guy benefit at all from these?
  I respect the wisdom here so hit me straight please. Hope this is the right forum if not I apologize.

Hey Wool.  Why did you buy a expensive Milner centerpin reel than a cheaper one.  The same  apply to your fishing rod question. ;D ;D   

Wool

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 04:47:45 PM »

Ok, I wasn't sure if you need to crawl before walking, Im having a blast so far, but, you guys with the CP make fishing look like a religious experience, lol. I want to get there. This Shimano is great in my hands, and gets the line out pretty nice ( I thought learning how to cast that Abu was a feat without backlash... This Milner would fire out an extra fifty feet in a heart beat).
  I get your point on the value and feel, it must be like driving a scooter vs a Harley. Always thought it was smart to ask. Thanks.
  Ok now what do you suggest? Basically a Vedder boy?

Wool

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 04:51:03 PM »

I think Mr Milner should get a dollar a year from everyone that buys these reels. I'm sure in the right hands this is artwork. Lol, I wouldn't sell this for anything.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 07:32:12 PM »

Ok now what do you suggest? Basically a Vedder boy?

What is your price range ?  Custom or Factory built ?

Wool

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 10:29:59 PM »

I can go with the good stuff. I seen factory rods at Fred's and Pacific Anglers ranging from $300 up. Sea Run looks like you could go all out. In all seriousness, what is the difference between a $500 factory rod at Fred's or a custom made? I understand that really shows my ignorance and lack of knowledge, but, in all honesty I don't know. Lol. A longer pole seems logical for distance and placement, a longer cork grip would be nice.
  Typhoon, where do you go to try them out?

Wool

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 10:52:20 PM »

Typhoon, the pics you posted in 2012 of your custom rod... Who built this? The description of how the rod works is what I've been trying to understand.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 07:19:25 AM »

Wool,
I don't know what Brian Babcock is selling his 'factory' Sage rods for. I have heard that the blanks go for $300 so a built rod for $500 is probably about right. Factory rods are a compromise in component selection, guide placement, grip length and shape, and style. A good custom builder can meet your exact requirements.
Not sure anyone will let you try out factory rods without buying.

I build all my own rods, and rods for friends and family. I don't do it for money. Which rod are you referring to?

Wool

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 05:44:35 PM »

Te rods I seen were I believe were Sage and the one with the fish skeleton ( that's your free laugh for today, I wouldn't have said it if I wasn't about to put the money down lol). Lommis?? My apologize to the all the rod building gods.
  My next question would be, how do you know what requirements you want? I'm float fishing from the shore, a longer length would be nice for distance.

I didnt think walking down the Vedder asking guys to give up their rods for a few cast would really work well. The thought is hilarious though.

I hope I'm not the only guy with these questions and you guys know your answering to more then me.

Thanks,

Mike

Wool

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 05:48:05 PM »

Would you know how I could reach Mr Babcock? I just hope he isn't reading this thread.

Wool

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 05:54:11 PM »

I seen in another topic Brian can be reached thru Sea Run.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 06:51:36 PM »

I seen in another topic Brian can be reached thru Sea Run.

Yes, or you can talk to any other staff at Searun, they will answer you all your question and pricing too.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 07:44:45 PM »

As Leapin' tyee said, pop into SeaRun and they'll have each and all you're questions answered in no time flat. Brian Babcock is  in the shop quite a bit, you might even run into him there.

Wool

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 07:54:28 PM »

Thanks, I've spent a couple dollars in that store and plan to terrorize the poor guy. Im leaning towards a new build and hopefully pride will add to the day standing in the water. I'm pretty stoked about the idea.