Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Back In The Day  (Read 2232 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
Back In The Day
« on: April 05, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »

I was sorting through my stuff the other day and came across a box of old Northwest Sportsman magazines from the 50's and 60's. You could buy a new Datsun pickup for $1500 ;), a trip to Squamish was an adventure, CKNW had a huge saltwater fishing derby and the sunshine coast had amazing ocean cutthroat fly fishing. Authors like Lee Straight, Massey and other "rock stars". Interesting reading this stuff now and looking at the state of our fisheries today.
http://

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Back In The Day
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 11:59:49 AM »

I have a couple dozen copies of Western Fish and Game (later Western Fish and Wildlife then Western Angling) from the mid-60s to the mid 70s. I can't forget Ted Peck's 1965 article about Jervis Inlet and what a wild unspoiled saltwater fishery it offered including resident coho. Jim Kilburn had a number of articles about beach fishing for cutthroat near Gibson's Landing and north towards Sechelt. All the salmon & steelhead fisheries near Vancouver were based on wild stocks, hatcheries didn't really kick in until the late 70s or 80s and by that time wild fish were in decline dozens if not hundreds of small streams along the south coast lost almost all their wild stocks of fish most of which were never replaced by hatcheries. The summer coho fishery in Georgia Strait and attached waters - like Jervis Inlet disappeared not long after. 
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 12:05:37 PM »

I got a couple of BC Saltwater Guides by BC Outdoors plus the Salt Chucker compliments of SuperValu Stores.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 09:59:28 AM »

I've got a whole wall full of those old magazines. I use them for reference when writing and keeping historical data on what we've lost, and in some cases, gained.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 07:15:12 AM »

I've got a whole wall full of those old magazines. I use them for reference when writing and keeping historical data on what we've lost, and in some cases, gained.

If any of these oldies are of use to you, I'm more than willing to let you use them.
(I do want them back :))
http://

Ian Forbes

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:26:40 AM »

If any of these oldies are of use to you, I'm more than willing to let you use them.
(I do want them back :))

Thanks for the offer, but I've probably got more magazines than I need as it is. Before magazines became just a picture book for advertisements, I bought them for their content. If there was some good advice I could use I would buy the magazine. If not, I didn't purchase it.