Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Be aware when having your reel repaired/general maintance .  (Read 2851 times)

wallygator24

Be aware when having your reel repaired/general maintance .
« on: March 29, 2014, 04:00:13 AM »

So, I sent in my Shimano Calcutta Conquest 100, Japanese version of Calcutta  TE, to get serviced by Shimano.  I called ahead of time to see if they would even service the reel to which I was informed that they do service them, and to send it in.  I sent my reel in hoping to have it cleaned up and maintained.  I've had my reels serviced by Shimano in the past with not a problem.  They are pretty good about getting your reels back to you in a timely fashion, usually about two weeks at the most.  A month went by and nothing.  I decided to call Shimano to check the status on my reel.   The rep stated that they received the reel and they might be waiting for parts in order to repair it.  I was told that a tech would call me back.  No one called me back.  So, I another month goes by.  I called again and spoke to another tech and he did some research and stated that the reel should have been fixed a long time ago.  He did some research and it turns out that someone, a former employee, at Shimano stole my reel as well as others.  After talking to a manager, Shimano will step up to the plate and compensate me for my reel by replacing it with a new one, but it wont be  the same.  Just some heads up.  Frustrated.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
Re: Be aware when having your reel repaired/general maintance .
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 07:03:35 AM »

I do rebuild my own reels. ABU's and Shimano. You can download schematics from Mikes Reel Repair website and just follow the setup. Better yet, you can make digital pictures of every step when you take it apart. You will do it once this way and it becomes easy next consecutive times. Now I can do it with my eyes closed so to speak. Use 96% isopropyl to strip old grease and clean your washers, apply new grease, slap it together and you are done.
 It costs next to nothing. best thing is, if you learn to do it yourself, you are sure it is done right and timely.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 01:14:03 PM »

Next time, you should bring it to Mikes Reel Repair.

wallygator24

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 05:26:34 PM »

Perhaps next time.  I don't think you got the part that it went back to the actual manufacturer Shimano Corporate.  Same thing could happen at Mikes too.  All I am saying is just be careful when having your reel repaired/serviced. 

losos

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 08:03:18 PM »

Sorry for your loss , perhaps you should consider servicing reels by yourself in the future. It is not that hard and as it was mentioned you can use digital camera and/or  diagrams which are readily available of the net. I used to spent $50 for servicing them at Mikes and was happy with their professionalism however they are located in Abbotsford bit to far for me.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 05:57:49 PM »

Perhaps next time.  I don't think you got the part that it went back to the actual manufacturer Shimano Corporate.  Same thing could happen at Mikes too.  All I am saying is just be careful when having your reel repaired/serviced.

Not sure how anyone would be able to avoid this situation from happening. I understand you posting it to vent but there is in no way you or anyone else could have prevented it from the other end of the phone. The company is 100% at fault and should be replacing your reel with one of the EXACT SAME model because they dropped the ball allowing an employee to steal from them.

I have had a couple reels serviced at Express Reel service but usually I do them myself
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

wallygator24

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 12:38:04 AM »

Thanks for the support guys.  I was contacted by another Shimano Representative yesterday.  I was told that they would be replacing my reel with a Calcutta TE DC because that's the closest North American version of the conquest.  Furthermore, it sounds like they will also give me a Calcutta D series for my troubles on top of that, and I was advised to not let this experience tarnish Shimano's reputation for me.   Representative also stated that they will strive for great customer service and to keep sending my reel in for repairs and maintenance to them.  I guess that I can't complain about Shimano if they are taking care of the issue.  It sucks that some one needs to steal in order add to their collection.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 12:42:59 AM by wallygator24 »

Ambassador

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 12:10:58 PM »

Wow! Great that Shimano is stepping up and covering you well for this negative experience. I wish there were more companies with that kind of transparency and integrity.

Hook is right - tough to avoid as this could happen anytime/anywhere. Hard to tell who you can you trust these days as an employer or customer.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 07:41:54 PM »

Now that is customer service.