Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stock trout  (Read 3228 times)

barklee

Stock trout
« on: March 22, 2014, 09:39:05 PM »

Tried Como Lake the other day 4 hours no luck is one week from stocking too long?

I've tried bottom fishing with charteuse rubbery power bait 2 balls on #6 hook, dew worms, large roe eggs. Float fishing with red krill and all these baits. Even tried mepps red fury spinner.

What is length from float to bait on float setup? What is leader lengths? What am I doing wrong?

Chuck

Re: Stock trout
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 09:52:05 PM »

What time of day? Any fish activity on the surface?
I fished Sasamat today at the crack of dawn from North of the lake, not the bridge gong show.  Not much surface activity. Bottom fished, landed 3, missed as many.   My leader length from the swivel was about 3 feet. Using 2 year old power bait cos i'd forgotten everything else!

Tenz85

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 09:53:25 PM »

Sounds like you using thre right stuff. The bite can be on fast and short so just get out and keep trying.

Most of como is fairly shallow so I would use a 12-16" leader so it is suspended mid column and doesn't sit on the bottom.

Tenz85

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 09:55:42 PM »

12-16 if you are bobber fishing and if I recall correctly that como is shallow from shore.

barklee

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 10:02:56 PM »

I was fishing around 4pm thanks for the tips. I have caught in every lake in lowermainland except this lake. Are all 500 fish gone?

barklee

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 10:05:01 PM »

Also tried using a water bobber, bead, swivel and 3 foot leader to chromadid with red and black. Still and molases retrieve no luck either.
What is a good wet fly for this lake? (spinning)

noobfisher

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 11:12:10 PM »

Some days the fish just don't wanna bite, give her another try if you caught fish every time what would be the challenge :)

Master Baiter

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 08:46:08 PM »

I was up at Como Lake last week...nothing!  Rather odd considering I've always caught fish quite easily especially after a recent stocking.  Saw one get caught from a boat but that was it.  Tried Lafarge with no luck either.  Can't figure it out...

barklee

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 09:04:34 PM »

I think that a week before stocking is too long especially with only 500 fish. Also I noticed that the bottom is very muddy I don't know if that affects bottom fishing.

What are your thoughts on Como I know at lafarge I caught 4 a day after stocking but I think it would be the same a week or two after very difficult.

KarateKick

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 10:33:35 AM »

Darn, I was thinking of trying Green Timbers today, but it's been two weeks since the 500 trout were put in.

In general, would you say that stocking a lake like Green Timbers with 500 makes a significant difference only for about two weeks?

By the way, how deep is Green Timbers?

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 01:32:50 PM »

Its about 8 feet and 5 feet in most places.Its just duck pond but they decided to put fish in it.

Try calling gofishbc and ask them when the next stocking is and fish it an hour after they stock or the day after.

Archer

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 05:56:21 PM »

Karatekick: I took my daughter to Green Timbers today. Lots of small trout in the small lake, not a lot of bites. None for us but we witnessed about 4 landed in 2 hours. Lime green power bait eggs, orange or pink worked for them too...but not for us.

Master Baiter

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 05:59:25 PM »

Beware poachers!  DFO was out at Lafarge today checking for licenses.  That was a first for me.  So happy to see them! 

losos

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 06:37:49 PM »

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:01:17 PM by losos »

losos

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 06:59:24 PM »

Don't care if it sounds racist ,but when I was fishing long time ago Lafarge and Sasamat lakes Asians were taking fish by boatloads and not respecting limits despite repeated calls not to do so. I suspect the same practice is still going now hence empty lakes.
As for bait rainbows are really finicky so you have to try different presentation along with various baits. Try Berkley 's paste ,marshmallows,single cured salmon eggs , Berkley's 1-2" scented grubs when spinning .Important laso is trying different colors. In deeper lakes such as Sasamat try free fall technique. Basically with this system use 4-6 pound line with 4 pound 2-3 ' leader plus the lightest split shot past the leader and cast it. Bite will show as a slack on the line .
I had very good results during rain and snow.
One anecdote ,when fishing one day of off the dock at Sasamat there were a very few bites. Then comes that old guy sets his rod and takes a leak ; fish went crazy. We were getting bite after bite. He didn't disclose his diet though.
Good luck.