Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Three-way rigs  (Read 2390 times)

KarateKick

Three-way rigs
« on: March 21, 2014, 10:56:47 PM »

I've read about 3-ways rigs, where the sinker is on a different line instead of the leader.  Supposedly, when the fish bites it doesn't feel the weight of the sinker.  It sounds good, but when I try it, I often find the sinker line and the leader wrapped around each others.  Is there a way to keep them apart?

wallygator24

Re: Three-way rigs
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 12:45:36 AM »

I use this method when drifting small spoons like dick nites.  It keeps the spoon in the strike zone a little longer on the drift.  You also don't want to cast too far up river because that is when you will get the line wrapping.  Pencil lead works best with this set up for drifting spoons. 

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 08:26:52 AM »

This is similar to the common bottom fishing set-up for trout in the Columbia and Kootenay Rivers in the Castlegar area. The weight line is typically lightif its snaggeder than the leader line so you can snap the weight off. I always used 8# test for everything - mainline, leader and weight line. To weaken the weight line near the weight I would mash the line a bit with my teeth to ensure the weight would break off. The leader line is usually 4-6 feet long depending on the current and the weight line less than a foot long. Now this was used when mini marshmallows were used and the bait floats.

When we used just cured roe, the weight line was 4 feet long and the leader about 18-24". That way once the weight hangs up on the bottom, the roe would swing downstream, away from the swivel and mainline. This way the roe stayed off the bottom so the trout and bulls would could find them easier and keep the mudsuckers off.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »

Swing the cast in a slow deliberate fashion allowing the weight 'pull' the line out.

Don't use a violent snapping type action using the rod's action the 'fling' the rig out.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 02:08:10 PM »

You're bar fishing yes? remember to try to use only as much weight as you need to get down to the bottom and or hold in the current. Use a sharp hook and good bait.
Dont worry about the fish feeling the weight, if they want it they will take it lol.
you can get fancy and use a sliding weight rig (Carolina) or even a sliding leader rig, different shaped weights and on and on but its not a big deal.
Good Luck~

louie

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 02:39:02 PM »

use a T Bar rig

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 02:42:22 PM by louie »

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 08:00:08 PM »

Swing the cast in a slow deliberate fashion allowing the weight 'pull' the line out.

Don't use a violent snapping type action using the rod's action the 'fling' the rig out.

--For sure smooth cast should stop the problem. You might also try shorter or stiffer leader line to the hook. I use T-Turn swivel but same thing can happen if you snap the cast.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:02:19 PM by skaha »

Chuck

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 09:45:33 PM »

I found a dropper loop rather than a swivel reduced my tangles.  Or as Leadbelly said, a Carolina rig, if you're bottom fishing.  I'm a big fan of the Carolina rig.