Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Going to California in 2 weeks  (Read 2926 times)

koifish

Going to California in 2 weeks
« on: March 05, 2014, 11:03:53 AM »

I'll be at San Francisco Las Vegas and LA anybody gone fishing there before ? Any good small lakes? I don't wanna fish saltwater thanks ill be fly fishing but I will take a small spin cast maybe
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 01:07:13 PM by koifish »

MetalAndFeathers

Re: Going to California in 2 weeks
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 04:22:25 PM »

You could try going to a couple piers around the area with a sabiki rig and last year my buddy went to Cali and hooked a huge stingray and a (blackdrum)? of one of the local piers.
I know how to catch fish.......Sometimes.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 10:53:54 PM »

The catfish in the lakes should be good, also bass and panfish
Someone was here

koifish

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 11:01:01 PM »

Legg lake looks good it was in WFN SITE for crappie but it
says  it's easy to get crappie but tough to get bass and trout but trout is stocked so I don't understand lol echo lake is good but it's big

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »

Check out this site: http://www.bayareafishing.com/

The best freshwater fishing close to San Francisco is the Sacramento River and tributaries but it is at least an hour north. Not a friend but Bill Kiene who has a shop in Sacremento was a super nice guy and very helpful whenever I chatted with him on line - which was many years ago.

http://www.kiene.com/

I have also bought some tackle from Leland in Sonoma. http://www.lelandfly.com/ and they are good to deal with. There are some nice rivers up that way, if you can make it up there it would be worthwhile contacting them.

Apparently there are stocked ponds right in Las Vegas. Lake Mead and Cold Springs has fishing close by: http://www.sincityflyfishing.com/

I think there are stocked park ponds in LA but most of the fishing there is in ocean. I tried fishing off the beach south of there - it can be tough due to surf. Also I understand the ocean fishing is better in the warmer months
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

koifish

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 11:59:13 AM »

I checked out sincity fishing it's mostly in Utah those lakes your mentions are those the stocked ponds?  Thanks

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 07:06:34 PM »

Legg lake looks good it was in WFN SITE for crappie but it
says  it's easy to get crappie but tough to get bass and trout but trout is stocked so I don't understand lol echo lake is good but it's big

My brother and father used to fish Legg lake when I was little and they pulled a lot of catfish and carp out of it. That lake is pretty much where I got hooked on fishing. I used to fish with bobber near one of the bridges and caught many bluegill and even a bass or two.
My brother and father have pulled out quite a few 20 lb+ carp from there. They've also told me that the catfish used to steal every bait placed near the bottom and get really big.
Someone was here

koifish

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 10:18:08 PM »

Can you fly fish for catfish or carp? I would probably need a heavy sink tip

I seen a place online called deep Creek it looks really good its like the fishing I wanna do pretty excited

koifish

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 10:49:09 PM »

I can't find any California fly fishing fourms...
Well... I found some but the topics aren't replied back to much so ya

Hookbender

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 12:26:56 PM »

On your way to LA take a detour to Reno and check out Pyramid Lake,great fishing for big Lahontan cutthroat trout.It's a high desert lake and can be fished from shore no need for a boat.Great fly fishing lake and the scenery is breathtaking.About 40 min drive north east of Reno.You need to get a licence from Paiute Band office as it's on a reservation , a must see ,the colour of the lake is incredible.Accomadation is available at Crosby's Lodge.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 11:38:30 PM »

Can you fly fish for catfish or carp? I would probably need a heavy sink tip

You could probably fly fish for both but the carp are very smart so fly fishing would be very difficult. The catfish should be easy to fish for. I haven't done this but try dragging a large weighted bunny leach, zonker, muddler, etc. near the bottom if you do go for catfish.
Someone was here