Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: buying a new boat  (Read 7915 times)

Britguy

• Old Timer
buying a new boat
« on: March 04, 2014, 08:38:07 PM »

I am getting closer to buying a new boat, for lake fishing
any advise on what i should be looking at (not a car topper but one I can tow on a trailer) 12-14 footer
I will mostly be using an electric motor but may eventually upgrade to a gas motor too
also where are the best places to buy here in Canada (don't ant to go over the border)
Thanks

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: buying a new boat
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 04:02:21 PM »

(not a car topper but one I can tow on a trailer) 12-14 footer

If you plan on trailering, I would highly recommend a fourteen foot over a twelve. That extra couple feet is definitely nice if you are not worried about the extra weight.

What are you looking for, V bottom or flat bottom?

Might be worth checking out the sportsman show at Tradex in Abbotsford this weekend. Two years ago I bought my Lowe 1448mt, Mercury outboard jet and trailer package for a good deal from Cascade Marine in Chilliwack after seeing it at the show.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 05:02:21 PM »

I just grabbed a Lowe 1436L from Cascade marine for $999

unfortunately due to our dollar their price just jumped to $1190 for the same boat. They have to pay more to ship them up then so do we.

I would be going to the show and try wheeling and dealing a good price. If you can I would just go for a package deal (boat/motor/trailer) and then your set

I know you well enough to know you like to anchor and cast. Perhaps check out a modified V flat bottom jon boat. If I could afford one that's what I would have got. They are considerably more though
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

island boy

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 06:59:31 PM »

check out the princecraft boats. i got a 12footer and love it. i run a 15hp on it and is good for the river and bigger lakes as well. trolls nice with the electric and has lots of room. small enough to get it into some of the smaller lakes. nice high sides on it and very stable. the one thing i dislike about the 14ft and bigger boats is when the wind picks up it tends to swing the bow around a lot.
you kill it, you clean it.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 08:16:40 PM »

thanks for the feedback
I have been back and forth on flat bottom or V style
some of the fishing i will be doing is "loch style"
I know that both type of boat have their pro's and cons depending on the strength of the breeze

I did not realize that it was the sportsman show this weekend, guess i will be taking a trip up there.
Saturday morning i am getting a hitch fitted on my GMC so I could head up there in the afternoon ;)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 08:41:18 PM »

Saturday morning i am getting a hitch fitted on my GMC so I could head up there in the afternoon ;)

OR you could ask your buddy HOOK to tow your boat away for you. Pretty sure I'll have my truck there  ;)
Check out our new blog

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 10:12:24 PM »

OR you could ask your buddy HOOK to tow your boat away for you. Pretty sure I'll have my truck there  ;)/quote]

thanks Hook appreciate the offer
I think i will head up there Friday
I am off Fri and Sat but i will have more time at the show if I go Friday, then If I buy one I can always head up there Sat afternoon
When are you heading up there?

sandy999

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 08:42:28 AM »

I just grabbed a Lowe 1436L from Cascade marine for $999

unfortunately due to our dollar their price just jumped to $1190 for the same boat. They have to pay more to ship them up then so do we.

I would be going to the show and try wheeling and dealing a good price. If you can I would just go for a package deal (boat/motor/trailer) and then your set

I know you well enough to know you like to anchor and cast. Perhaps check out a modified V flat bottom jon boat. If I could afford one that's what I would have got. They are considerably more though

The 14ft with the modified V hull is a real beauty. I have seen lots of them and you have just a huge space inside and with the modifies v hull it will be a little better in a bit of a chop. I also have delt with Wayne (He`s The Owner) of Cascades Marine on Airport Road in Chilliwack for many years. He is a great guy and will not steer you wrong and also his prices are always in line and he usually carries a lot of Jon Boats.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 05:55:29 AM by sandy999 »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 08:50:11 PM »

OR you could ask your buddy HOOK to tow your boat away for you. Pretty sure I'll have my truck there  ;)/quote]

thanks Hook appreciate the offer
I think i will head up there Friday
I am off Fri and Sat but i will have more time at the show if I go Friday, then If I buy one I can always head up there Sat afternoon
When are you heading up there?

Heading there as soon as I get out of aircare-ing my truck. Hopefully I'm there around 9:30am so I can have my little guy home for nap time by 1pm
Check out our new blog

Zach Sanchioni

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 10:08:04 PM »

The 14ft with the modified V hull is a real beauty. I have seen lots of them and you have just a huge space inside and with the modifies v hull it will be a little better in a bit of a chop. I also have delt with Wayne (He`s The Owner) for many years. He is a great guy and will not steer you wrong and also his prices are always in line and he usually carries a lot of Jon Boats.

I was treated quite badly there for my ONE marine purchase there. I had bought alot of chainsaw equipment there before though. I picked up a small trailer for my 1236 G3. I asked that it be adjusted for a 12' boat when I picked it up as I was going directly to get my boat (used) right after. No problems he said. Paid a 50$ holding deposit. Went to get it the next day and not only was it not adjusted (the tongue slides in and out for boats 12-16') but he told me I can pay $90/hr shop rate if I want that done, and one of the trailer lights was smashed out. Nothing he can do is what he said and since I had the used boat all lined up and a week long lake trip two days after in the Caribou I chose to take it as is. My advice is to buy from a [place with decent customer service!

sandy999

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 06:14:40 AM »

I was treated quite badly there for my ONE marine purchase there. I had bought alot of chainsaw equipment there before though. I picked up a small trailer for my 1236 G3. I asked that it be adjusted for a 12' boat when I picked it up as I was going directly to get my boat (used) right after. No problems he said. Paid a 50$ holding deposit. Went to get it the next day and not only was it not adjusted (the tongue slides in and out for boats 12-16') but he told me I can pay $90/hr shop rate if I want that done, and one of the trailer lights was smashed out. Nothing he can do is what he said and since I had the used boat all lined up and a week long lake trip two days after in the Caribou I chose to take it as is. My advice is to buy from a [place with decent customer service!

Zach-there is always a exception to any rule of thumb. I can honestly say that this is the fist such coment I have heard of this type about Cascades and I have talked to more than a few people that have dealt at that store. Were you dealing with Wayne, because he is the owner and I have always been looked after very well. You must have received a bill when you bought the trailer. On the bill, did you ask  the seller to list all the work that you wanted done? Never ever buy anything without a contract listing what you want in detail and what you wish to have changed. If the person does not seem to want to follow this rule walk away and only ask once. If a person snozzes he losses. 

fullahead

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 07:24:04 AM »

I bought a 30 HP Yamaha jet from Wayne The Owner of Cascades Marine on Airport Road in Chilliwack. They put it on a 14 foot Lifetimer, and tuned the jet to the hull. Wayne said he wanted to take me for a ride up Fraser rive so I would be confident with the engine. I didn’t tell hem I run a tugboat up and down the coast, so I said might as well show me how to get into the Harrison. Every October they winterize it for me, and it starts usually first pull in the spring.

I have been working on tugboats for 40 years, the reason I mention this I know a little bit about boats.  Wayne The Owner of Cascades Marine, has treated me well over the last 8 years, The guy knows his jet boats, and I have recommend to a lot of guys.

Zach Sanchioni

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 09:36:38 AM »

Not Wayne, bald headed guy maybe Bill? I have a bill for the sale but it didn't state it would be adjusted, that was simply his word. It was an easy task just loosen some bolts ansd slide the tongue back. Had to pick up my boat and strap it down to the bunks only as the bow was 4' from the winch! As I said I took it as it was because of a week long lake trip I had planned. Wasn't going to try and ask my buds to change the trip around and the three of us try to reschedule our time off with work over a trailer adjustment and broken tail light. Woulda been icing on the cake had I gotten a ticket for no trailer lights :) Either way I was treated like cupcakes by him.

sandy999

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 02:33:49 PM »

Not Wayne, bald headed guy maybe Bill? I have a bill for the sale but it didn't state it would be adjusted, that was simply his word. It was an easy task just loosen some bolts ansd slide the tongue back. Had to pick up my boat and strap it down to the bunks only as the bow was 4' from the winch! As I said I took it as it was because of a week long lake trip I had planned. Wasn't going to try and ask my buds to change the trip around and the three of us try to reschedule our time off with work over a trailer adjustment and broken tail light. Woulda been icing on the cake had I gotten a ticket for no trailer lights :) Either way I was treated like cupcakes by him.

I also bought one of the galvanized trailers that you can adjust. As they did not have one in stock they said that they could have one for me the next day because the company that distributes the trailers was right here in Chilliwack on Yale west road. When I went back the next day to pickup the trailer both fenders being made of plastic were very badly scratched. The fellow that was hooking up my trailer went and got Wayne to take a look. Wayne came out with a discusted look on his face and his only words were fix it. The fellow that was working on my trailer got into his truck and drove to the distributor and got me two new fenders and was back in a short time and then he proceeded to change the two fenders. He also explained to me that when the trailers are shipped they are just stacked one on top of each other and that is why so many of them are damaged, if the person shipping the trailers does not remember to put padding on top of the fenders to protect them. I was totally happy with their service and I shop there fairly often for smaller items. In closing, Wayne`s Mother and Father started that business and when they passed, the business was handed down to him. I have asked why he is still working and he simply states the he enjoys being in the store even after all these years.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 02:35:49 PM by sandy999 »

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 05:29:04 PM »

well I made it to the show, i got some great service from two guys at the Bridgeview Marine booth
They had a Princecraft 12' Ungava with trailer and 9.5hp mercury motor for just over $5,000
This one was in blue but they said that they also come in black now
I was so tempted to buy one minus the motor (don't need one right now, just going electric)
I walked the whole show a few times pondering but came home boat less 
Now I am thinking of heading back up in the afternoon to purchase one, they said they will keep it for me until i want to pick it up from the shop, he quoted me $3,800 inc tax for the boat and trailer