Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Best" braid for big salmon trolling?  (Read 8593 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
"Best" braid for big salmon trolling?
« on: February 28, 2014, 07:28:31 PM »

The other day my Dad asked me what the best braid was for the type of fishing he does and I didn't have much of an answer. I don't have a lot of experience using braided line. I have an extra spool for one reel that I use on the Fraser from time to time. It is spooled with 50LB Seaguar Kanzen and from what I can tell it is good stuff. On one of my spinning reels I have it spooled with 20LB Suffix 832 which I LOVE. I casts beautifully with small spoons/spinners and has held up to a lot of fish and abuse.

The line he is looking for will be used for saltwater trolling around Prince Rupert. At times the springs can exceed 40lbs so the line needs to be super strong. I suggested he spool up with 30lb mono but he thinks that is not strong enough and is only considering spooling up with braid. The reel, if it matters at all, is a Trophy XL QR mooching reel.

In the past I think he mainly used Tuffline. What's the latest/best braid for this type of fishing? I saw in a magazine the other day a braided line that had a mono like coating on it...forget the brand... :o

vancook

• Old Timer
Re: "Best" braid for big salmon trolling?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 08:04:04 PM »

Heavy braid is unnecessary to land big salmon on the ocean.
30,40 lb mono is more than enough.
The fact is you need to play the fish until it's ready and tired to be netted.
My friend landed a 64 pound chinook on 30 pound main line up in Haida gwaii this past summer.

Daguru

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 03:06:24 AM »

I really like the 832 in white and power pro super 8. I think the 832 is alittle thicker than the power pro tho. But they are by far my two favorite braids

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 11:28:51 AM »

--I would use mono... especially on a mooching reel.. unless you want to cut your finger off.
--Winding in line with no fish on and guiding it on a mooching reel is no fun with braid.

sandy999

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 02:05:20 PM »

--I would use mono... especially on a mooching reel.. unless you want to cut your finger off.
--Winding in line with no fish on and guiding it on a mooching reel is no fun with braid.

I agree that you do not need a real heavy line for big salmon in the ocean because usually you can follow with your boat as they tire out.

RRV

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 03:06:56 PM »

I agree that braid is not necessary.  I spend two weeks fishing in Kyuquot every summer, and almost everyone  out there uses mono, mostly 40lb, but I know some guys who mooch with great success with 20lb mono spooled on large arbor fly reels.

This said, for the past 5 years I've been using braid 100lb PowerPro braid on a mooching reel.  I like the added sensitivity, but mostly I like that the smaller diameter reduces drag.  Also, I've never had my mainline break, which can happen with the big Chinook.

kindalonismo

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 09:50:47 PM »

25lb - 30lb mono.  You can always jump up your leaders to 40lb.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 10:54:28 AM »

While I apprecite the mono tips, as stated in my original posting, this is my DADS reel and being the stubbord old man he is, he is only considering spooling up with BRAID. I'm not looking for tips on mono - braid only. If it were my reel I would spool it up with 30-40LB mono for sure, as I hate braid for trolling. My dad loves his braid on the ocean and that's all there is to it.

RRV, interesting you use 100lb braid. You think 50lb is insufficent? I can't see it being if 30-40lb mono is commonly used. I think they use 100lb braid for hailbut, but that's different.

Well so far for preferred braid we have my favorite Suffix 832, Power Pro, and Power Pro super 8. Any other top brands for salt water trolling?

wallygator24

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 12:48:52 PM »

I like the power pro super slick eight line.  It's a little pricier but you get a longer life out of it then mono.  I use it when float fishing.  If water is extremely clear I will use a bumper line of fluorocarbon with a fluorocarbon leader for those spooky fish.  I like that the line floats which is useful when trolling flies and float fishing. 

likely

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 01:45:09 PM »

I agree with vancook and skaha only time I run braid is for hali or sturgeon :)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 06:11:58 PM »

You guys are preaching to the choir! :o I'm not looking for opinions on mono vs. braid for this application. As already stated, if it were my reel I would be running 30-40lb mono mainline. However, it's my dad's reel, he is 100% set on braid, and would only take it off the reel if he spooled it up with braid X and didn't like it. All I'm looking for here is opinions on the best braid for this type of fishing. The fact that mono is likely a better choice is a moot point.

RRV

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 06:30:47 PM »

In terms of strength, 50lbs should more than do it, IMO.