Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cutthroat around Chilliwack  (Read 4459 times)

Hasport

Cutthroat around Chilliwack
« on: February 27, 2014, 01:50:52 PM »

So this morning I went to the Maria Slough in search for cutties with no success. So I was wondering where I should go in this area (not asking for spots) just a place to start so I could hunting for them.

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Cutthroat around Chilliwack
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 12:34:40 AM »

hunting for them.

this is the key ingredient to cutty fishing. Cutty fishermen are very tight lipped about their areas so I would be amazed if anyone responds.

Fraser river backwaters are your best bet. Finding them is on you though

Stave river can be good, better if you can access the islands
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 08:25:31 AM »

Cutthroat can be found from around Hope down to Sumas mountain - more or less. There is more accessible water on the south side.

The book Fishing Fever provides info of many access spots: http://www.fishingfeverbc.ca/ I am not sure if it is in print but the webpage indicates you buy it on line directly via the website.

Google Earth, Google Maps are also useful tools. Be aware that many good looking access point on these will be through Private Property or First Nations Reserves. Respect these ask if possible or when in doubt find another place.

While most folks fish backwaters and sloughs - side channels are most often productive for me - they can be sizable and swift. However the key is cutthroat prefer slower water than rainbows. Current edges, tail outs, the wash behind large hunks of waterlogged woody debris (stumps and logs etc) and are all prime spots. Once you know this you can also find fish in the main part of the river.

However some perfect looking runs will seldom produce. If you find a consistent spot by next season after the early summer flood it may no longer be that productive but the prime water may simply have shifted 50 meters or so up or downstream.

Watch for rises. As it warms and insects & minnows get active there will often be some visible activity. Salmon fry are starting to appear. I saw some Wednesday when I was out. Within the next 6 weeks they will become the major prey item.

Most of the North Shore streams that enter directly into the Fraser will also produce some cutts. The Stave was mentioned the Harrison is another. Often these are better when the weather warms and the Fraser rises a bit and gets some color.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

sandy999

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 10:12:46 AM »

this is the key ingredient to cutty fishing. Cutty fishermen are very tight lipped about their areas so I would be amazed if anyone responds.

Fraser river backwaters are your best bet. Finding them is on you though

Stave river can be good, better if you can access the islands

Hasport-I have been wondering the same thoughts. If you have a 4 by 4 take a drive out onto Herrling Island. It has been a very good spot that I used to go to but now I just have a little car and I really do not think that I would make it in let alone to get back out. Once you come out at the river you can walk for a long way downstream and I would be very surprised if you do not find a few fish.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 01:09:10 PM by sandy999 »

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 04:19:04 PM »

Google is your friend. You can find a lot of general info on targeting them and if you search hard enough, even some specific spots where you might want to look. The sloughs are a good choice though too.