Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly tying  (Read 6380 times)

Chuck

fly tying
« on: February 24, 2014, 12:24:23 PM »

After losing too many flies at the weekend I feel it's time to start tying my own.  I don't have a proper tying vise, and can't really afford one right now, but I do have one of these:
http://www.cheshiremodels.co.uk/acatalog/Hand_tools.html

Would this be sufficient until I can get a good one? Has anyone used one for this purpose?

Thanks

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: fly tying
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:35:30 PM »

No

That thing will move around too much. You can get a tying vise very cheap. I have a $45 one that is still going strong after 10yrs of decent usage. You can get even more basic ones for cheaper.

Get yourself to the Sportman's show and you can even get deals on vices, tools and materials
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Chuck

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »

Thanks  :)

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 11:41:55 PM »

your local fly shop and stores like wholesale sports have very cheap ones that range from $10-20. they arent the fanciest, but will hold up for a very long time and is perfect for just getting into tying. I got mine for $17 at Cabela's and its held up very well so far.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 03:48:41 AM »

I agree with Hook. That thing is only good for holding flies when taking pictures. I started tying flies 62 years ago just holding the hook in my hand. I can still tie a reasonable fly with just my fingers and a pair of sissors. You just have to now how to do a hand whip finish with the thread.

So, what I am really saying is you can get started with a $10 vise, a ceramic tip thread bobbin, a pair of, good quality fine point sissors and a handful of materials. The best recommendation I can give to all beginners is to join a fly tying class where everyone can share in a group purchase. You DO need a wide assortment of hooks, but you don't need 100 of each size to start. Most non commercial fly tiers I know have FAR more materials than we ever will use in a life time. Mst of us are willing to share with beginners.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 09:50:15 AM »

I agree with Hook. That thing is only good for holding flies when taking pictures. I started tying flies 62 years ago just holding the hook in my hand. I can still tie a reasonable fly with just my fingers and a pair of sissors. You just have to now how to do a hand whip finish with the thread.

So, what I am really saying is you can get started with a $10 vise, a ceramic tip thread bobbin, a pair of, good quality fine point sissors and a handful of materials. The best recommendation I can give to all beginners is to join a fly tying class where everyone can share in a group purchase. You DO need a wide assortment of hooks, but you don't need 100 of each size to start. Most non commercial fly tiers I know have FAR more materials than we ever will use in a life time. Mst of us are willing to share with beginners.

speaking of which, I do believe I have more tying materials than the Langley Army and Navy store  8)

unfortunately for the original poster I just donated a crap load of materials, tools and even a couple old vices to a youth tying club

If you join FlyBC the members there hold "tying nights" often enough and new members or new to tying members are always welcome. You can learn a wealth of knowledge from these guys/gals even if you don't own any fly tying stuff. I'm sure a few would even allow newbies to try out their vice/tools, use their materials and show them how to tie something.
Check out our new blog

Chuck

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 09:51:34 AM »

Thanks all.  I didn't realize they came that cheap.  I'm willing to to go cheap because the way I see it is if it's something I don't enjoy then I don't lose too much but if it's something I become obsessed with (the likely scenario) then Ill end up buying a decent one next year and $20 well spent!  New waders are my first priority! I keep dropping hints to the wife, when is Fathers day?  ;D

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 10:47:36 AM »

If your not sure you will like tying then going to a tying night or a beginners tying class(s) where everything is provided may be the best option.

Check out our new blog

Chuck

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »

No!  Must buy new toys!  8)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 05:35:49 PM »

Chuck, where do you live? I'm in Chilliwack and can give you an older vise that was given to me when I started tying flies. I upgraded years ago to a rotary vise but the original one is more than good enough to get started. It needs to clamp to a table. If you're worried about scratching the table you can put something in there as a buffer like a piece of cardboard, etc. Let me know if you want it.

Chuck

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 12:24:03 PM »

Hi Spawn
I'm in East Van.  Thanks a lot.  I will pm you if I'm heading out that way.  Might be heading out in a couple of weeks.  Much appreciated  :)

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 11:43:11 PM »

I remember buying a decent Indian vice at M&Y for around 25 bucks. This was a while back though. You really don't have to spend a lot to get an ok vice, just not too great for smaller flies

sandy999

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 08:29:11 AM »

Go into at least two tackle shops and tell them how money you have and ask what can you get for it. There is always a few crooks around and that is why I stated to go into more than one shop. It never hurts to ask! Good Luck

Castor

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 06:55:30 PM »

head over to army and navy on cordova,  downtown. they've got a spinning vice for about $30 or a stationary for 10-15 and all their Dragonfly tying materials are 30 % off right now.
I'd fish that