Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Herring Make A Comeback  (Read 4853 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Herring Make A Comeback
« on: February 21, 2014, 07:52:30 PM »

Makes wonder why the government does not get more involved, thanks to the volunteers for their work on this.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1165996/first-successful-herring-spawn-in-false-creek-in-more-than-100-years/

Dogbreath

Re: Herring Make A Comeback
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 08:29:44 PM »

It's a great story but not 100% accurate as written-Herring have been spawning in False Creek since forever just not very successfully-otherwise WTH did they come from to magically find a new place to spawn?

Note that I regularly circumnavigate False Creek by bicycle and know the life cycle of everything in the place it's often full of baitfish.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 08:55:08 AM »

“The federal government is saying they are going to listen to scientific advice, they’ve said that with the fisheries, they’ve said that with Enbridge Northern Gateway, but here we have a clear indication that the government is choosing to ignore such advice.”

Ditto for the Cohen report and polluting the ocean with antibiotics from fish farming.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »

Ditto for the Cohen report and polluting the ocean with antibiotics from fish farming.
LOL!  you're sounding like Almo now troutbreath.  The largest source of antibiotics in the ocean are from people flushing them down the toilet.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 12:01:28 PM »

Very interesting what the Squamish folks have done.   They are to be commended.

I have some questions:
- the creosote pilings are a vanishingly small part of the total area, especially up at Squamish.   Why is it that separating them from the water has such a dramatic impact on the herring?   Is there nowhere else for the spawn to stick or is the creosote poisoning the entire area?
-would it be as effective to install an area with natural wood pilings specifically as spawning habitat?
-where did the idea come from?  Was it dreamed up by the Squamish group or has it been tried elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 02:07:34 PM »

Makes wonder why the government does not get more involved, thanks to the volunteers for their work on this.

I think such a project is best suited for small ngo's.  If it was a $5000 project by the stream keepers then good.  The government would have made it a $50000 project.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

SPEYMAN

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »

The First Nations people have been using artificial spawning trees for many years.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 05:38:55 PM by SPEYMAN »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 05:46:37 PM »

I think such a project is best suited for small ngo's.  If it was a $5000 project by the stream keepers then good.  The government would have made it a $50000 project.
They could give them a sizeable grant so more work could be done.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 05:49:12 PM »

They could give them a sizeable grant so more work could be done.
Perhaps the best grant our government could give herring is to stop fishing them ..

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 11:31:42 PM »

Very interesting what the Squamish folks have done.   They are to be commended.

I have some questions:
- the creosote pilings are a vanishingly small part of the total area, especially up at Squamish.   Why is it that separating them from the water has such a dramatic impact on the herring?   Is there nowhere else for the spawn to stick or is the creosote poisoning the entire area?
-would it be as effective to install an area with natural wood pilings specifically as spawning habitat?
-where did the idea come from?  Was it dreamed up by the Squamish group or has it been tried elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

I'm no expert, but I don't think the creosote is poisoning the area surrounding the pilings, rather the pilings provide attractive spawning habitat to herring and the fabric wrap are simply saving the herring eggs which would have otherwise died without the fabric.

The idea was first used in Squamish.

Dogbreath

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 08:45:23 PM »

I'm no expert, but I don't think the creosote is poisoning the area surrounding the pilings, rather the pilings provide attractive spawning habitat to herring and the fabric wrap are simply saving the herring eggs which would have otherwise died without the fabric.

The idea was first used in Squamish.
Yes  some some more info here

http://www.squamishstreamkeepers.net/streamkeepers/Welcome.html

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 12:19:26 PM »

So when is herring harvest time usually? For example - when do the boats in Steveston sell them off the pier?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 02:10:05 PM »

So when is herring harvest time usually? For example - when do the boats in Steveston sell them off the pier?
CKNW herring sales was once held in November but was cancelled due to government red tape.