Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice for new s/h fly reel  (Read 5150 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Advice for new s/h fly reel
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:01:38 AM »

I'm looking for a new reel for my 9 foot, 8 wt, s/h fly rod. I use it mostly in the Vedder targeting coho and pinks, but I hook into the odd chum or spring as well. I don't use it for steelhead I either use my spey rod or gear fish.

I had a perfectlly good Dragonfly click and pawl reel on it but it somehow mysteriously vanished last fall and I have not been able to locate it (long story not worth getting into). :o I would like to buy a reel a bit better than the previous one with a solid disc drag; however, I don't use the set up that often so I'm not looking to invest big money into this reel.

I'm thinking of buying an Echo Ion. I've never owned one buy I know a lot of guys like them for their price. Looking on Echo's website I see you can get the reel in a 7/9, which is a 3.9 diameter and 1.3 width, and a 8/10 which is the same diameter, but slightly wider at 1.5.

Wondering what ya'll think of these two slightly diff reels, and any other reels in this price range. I think the most I would want to spend is $200 before taxes. Thanks a lot.

ajransom

Re: Advice for new s/h fly reel
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 02:54:04 PM »

I have a Lamson Konic 4 for my 9 weight. Really happy with it! Great reel at a great price (around $150). The Konic 3.5 would probably suit an 8 weight well.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 11:58:59 AM »

I have the Echo 8/10. Too big for a #8 SH rod IMO so look at the 7/9. The Echo is a great value but I find it impossible to remove the spool without using a band wrench on the centre fixing nut. Also wanted to mention the Echo is not suited for use in saltwater if you may use it off the beach etc.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 12:22:34 PM »

Sage 1880 reel has been discontinued so you might be able to find one at a good price if you look around. At the discounted price, it's great value for money.

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 01:07:22 PM »

Also, check out Allen Alpha III  reel, I personally own this one and have no complaints. Its durable, drag system is great, and comes in some unique colours.
If you are willing to spend a bit more and looking to fish in the salt more, I  highly recommend the Allen Kraken reel(I also own this reel and its my favorite). It has a fully sealed drag system and its drag is buttery smooth. It handled some big springs and a countless number of pinks (in the salt) this past season beautifully.
http://www.allenflyfishing.com/reels/

I've read that the Konic is a little fragile as it isn't machined aluminium but has one of the best drags you can buy at that price. As previously mentioned, the Ion needs to be thoroughly cleaned after using it in the salt but is also a good reel to look into.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:13:00 PM by Ssypark »

Daguru

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 07:32:53 PM »

Recently got a redington rise, about 100$. And I'm very happy with it. It was Also the only Cnc bar stock reel that I could find at that price, the only draw back is that the drag is not very strong but I find it more than enough

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 09:44:54 AM »

I have a Rise as well. The 7/8 is more suited to a #5 or #6. Mine was damaged after a drop. I also the preceding model (don't remember the name) and the drag seized and couldn't be repaired. Sage owns Redington and replaced both for a nominal fee. The Rise is light and has a responsive smooth drag. Certainly worth a look. Has a quick release spool which the Echo lacks - that's important in my view.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

skitterbug

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 07:43:39 PM »

I recently bought the Allen Kraken. I signed up for the newsletter, got a 20% discount on any purchase, shipping was $9, the reel was $200ish.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 09:41:56 AM »

I have heard these are good quality. Solitude Reels

http://solitudereels.com/fly-fishing-reels/solitude-4/#
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 05:46:56 PM »

Thanks for all the replies guys :) I was in M&Y Surrey last week checking out some reels. Between the Echo Ion 7/9 and 8/10, the 8/10 is too big and I would definitley go with the 7/9. I like that reel but will probably spend a bit more and get something nicer.

Checked out the Lamson Konic - I like it! for the extra 50 bucks I would take it over an Echo.

In the past I've heard a lot of good things about Allen reels, especially the Kranken. What size do you think would pair up well with an 8wt s/h rod? I'm guessing the model 3 (3.81 diameter).

skitterbug

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 09:31:15 PM »

I have the kraken 3, 150 yards of 30lb backing + 100' of 30 slickshooter + 425 skagit short. So I think the 3 would be perfect for your 8wt.