Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any opinions on Lehr propane outboards?  (Read 6791 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Any opinions on Lehr propane outboards?
« on: January 23, 2014, 02:12:57 PM »

So I've been looking for a good used outboard for a while (5-6 months). I haven't been having much luck finding what I'm looking for (4-5 hp, 4 stroke, short shaft). I found a few good looking ones on Craig's List, Kijiji, etc but they either sold before I could go look at them, or some deal breaker made me not want to buy it (shadey seller, etc). With spring lake fishing in the not too distant future I've been pricing out new Mercs, Yamahas, Hondas, etc. In the 4-5 hp range depending on the brand and where it's bought I'm looking at around $1750.

I was at the boat show yesterday at BC place and came across the Lehr propane powered outboards. I was really impressed! It seems the advantages over gasoline powered are:

-No bulb squeezing/choking at start up. Apparently they usually start on the first or second pull even if cold.
-No need to worry about fuel going bad
-No sparkplug fouling or engine flooding
-Convenience of using inexpensive (refillable) propane bottles inserted directly into outboard housing (or larger external tank)
-No smoke, gasoline exhaust fumes, or gasoline smells
-Less maintenace, less carbon buildup, etc.

I'm very curious if anyone out there has one or knows someone that has one, if they like it or dislike it, etc. I'm considering buying the 5hp shortshaft.

http://golehr.com/

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Re: Any opinions on Lehr propane outboards?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 03:03:21 PM »

dont be affriad of seattle craigslist. lots of good outboards for good $. how much is a new propane outboard?

GJP

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 05:59:32 PM »

Also check out Nissan /Tohatsu motors at Otter marine.They are good motors and priced well compared to mercs and Yamahas.

GordJ

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 07:13:35 PM »

I picked up a 2.5 last fall and it has functioned perfectly. Easy on fuel, pushed my toon out and back on fairly big lakes for over 10 days and there was still fuel left in the 8 lb bottle. I don't have the attachment to refill the 1 lb bottles yet but I was told the motor ran better on the  1 pounders. Ran strong, no gas to carry, no fuel in the lake when refuelling, no slick on the water or fuel mixing, starts on the second pull every time.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 08:45:21 PM »

A good buddy of mine has one powering his punt. He is extremely happy with it! 8)
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 10:33:32 PM »

dont be affriad of seattle craigslist. lots of good outboards for good $. how much is a new propane outboard?

I've been looking for months and months! As well as Bellingham, Seattle, etc. Found a few good ones across the line but the prices were not all that hot so factoring in exchange rate, plus likely paying another 12% at the border, not were that great of a deal.

The new propane Lehrs are about the same as a comparable new Merc 4 stroke. The 5 hp was $1600 at the boat show I think and the guy said he'd throw in a free fiberglass Lehr tank (forget the size, maybe 20lb, retail for it was $120 I think).

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 10:39:04 PM »

GordJ and Greyghost, awesome guys good to hear! :)

For my boat (12 foot Vhull aluminum) I would get the 5hp. Greyghost, what hp does your buddy have? The demo at the boat show was a 2.5hp set up in a drum of water.

I'm just a tad nervous about the brand, Lehr. The motors are made in China. However if I head enough good things about these motors I'm strongly leaning towards buying one.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 04:04:54 PM »

Outboard update!!

I've had my 5hp LEHR for about 2 months now (approx 100hrs of use) and have been using the crap out of it. So far I love it!!

Somefeedback in case anyone is considering buying one...

Things I like about it are easy starting. No choking or priming, it starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull every time stone cold. I also like the convenience of using propane. I bought the 11lb fiberglass tank which is nice and light, fits perfect in the back of my 12 foot, and you can visually inspect the propane level which is nice. When we go camping I'll run it on the boat, disconnect and hook up to the BBQ, then the next day back on the boat for fishing!

A few small downsides: When the propane is getting low in the bottle (1LB green tank or big tank) the motor will struggle to get enough propane past 3/4 throttle or so. Not a huge deal, and a warning you are running low. I've had a few issues getting the fiberglass tank filled (some gas stations won't deal with them) so if you buy a LEHR I'd just get a cheaper 10lb metal tank unless you really like the idea of a fiberglass tank.

Aside from that it's not any different than a gas motor. About as noisy as a Merc/Yamaha I think, no quieter. I had a bit of trouble getting the idle speed adjusted just right, seems at different elevations the motor is a bit finicky. However I like it adjusted as low as possible without stalling out at min throttle to troll nice and slow if I desire.

If you're in the market for a new outboard and like the idea of running propane, I'd give them a serious look.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 08:33:40 AM »

Are parts available for these?

GordJ

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 11:55:51 AM »

Outboard update!!

I've had my 5hp LEHR for about 2 months now (approx 100hrs of use) and have been using the crap out of it. So far I love it!!

Somefeedback in case anyone is considering buying one...

Things I like about it are easy starting. No choking or priming, it starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull every time stone cold. I also like the convenience of using propane. I bought the 11lb fiberglass tank which is nice and light, fits perfect in the back of my 12 foot, and you can visually inspect the propane level which is nice. When we go camping I'll run it on the boat, disconnect and hook up to the BBQ, then the next day back on the boat for fishing!

A few small downsides: When the propane is getting low in the bottle (1LB green tank or big tank) the motor will struggle to get enough propane past 3/4 throttle or so. Not a huge deal, and a warning you are running low. I've had a few issues getting the fiberglass tank filled (some gas stations won't deal with them) so if you buy a LEHR I'd just get a cheaper 10lb metal tank unless you really like the idea of a fiberglass tank.

Aside from that it's not any different than a gas motor. About as noisy as a Merc/Yamaha I think, no quieter. I had a bit of trouble getting the idle speed adjusted just right, seems at different elevations the motor is a bit finicky. However I like it adjusted as low as possible without stalling out at min throttle to troll nice and slow if I desire.

If you're in the market for a new outboard and like the idea of running propane, I'd give them a serious look.
My experience has been the same without the fibreglass tank issue because I am running an 8 pound bottle and I haven't run it low. The reason the motor takes 2 pulls to start ( I am guessing here) is because the first pull opens the valve to supply the motor with gas. At least that us my backyard figuring. I don't troll with mine so I didn't have any low speed issues but it runs great getting me to and fro.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 03:37:47 PM »

Are parts available for these?

I would assume so. There is a LEHR dealer in Chilliwack (Holiday Marine) and in Langley. You can also get parts from LEHR.