Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: squamish trout  (Read 1606 times)

chrisc54

squamish trout
« on: January 20, 2014, 08:00:40 PM »

Hey everyone, this weekend I went out and tried my luck on the cheakamus river, I fished below the bridge and walked along the rail road tracks trying different pools, I used eggs, salmon flesh and leaches. No bites on anything, I even tried a spoon on my normal rod. I fished almost all day with no luck, I have done a lot of fishing in the kootenays with luck, and usually have fair luck aswell during salmon season, but I never have any luck this time of year in the lower mainland for trout...what am I doing wrong? Do bulltrout rise and jump like every other fish? because I saw no risers...anyways thanks for your tinme everyone

Dogbreath

Re: squamish trout
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 08:03:26 PM »

Dollies/Bulltrout have their cycles like any other fish-as Spring fry start to emerge next month they'll become more active.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 09:58:51 PM »

It might also have something to do with ...

1) the rivers have been low since November with only a couple of little bumps of water.
2) it's very clear and water is cold
3) and most importantly they have been hammered ALL winter by lots of guys. Many,many days there are as many as 10 vehicles parked at the Bailiey Bridge. Fishing is going to be tough.

chrisc54

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 10:13:16 PM »

Would trying upper squamish river be a better idea?

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 10:47:11 AM »

Pressure can make a big difference. The cheakamus, though it contains some very nice trout, doesn't 'handle' the pressure as well as the more spread out squamish. Not only is it larger, but it also has a massive fishable length. I love fishing the cheakamus but when it's slower it's harder work than is the squamish. The fish are also more well fed on average in the cheakamus making them a little less aggressive.

If you can be the first to some runs you will greatly increase your hook up chances