Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Migration  (Read 8692 times)

dave c

Steelhead Migration
« on: January 20, 2014, 01:14:59 PM »

Just curious about the patterns of Steelhead returning to their spawning grounds.  How old are they before they return to their rivers for the first time.  Once they return to the ocean do they return every year after that?  What would be the average amount of times they return before they die assuming they are not killed by predators?

BladeKid

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead Migration
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 03:44:21 PM »

Hey Dave,

I highly recommend reading "The Steelhead Trout" by Trey Combs. Its a great read and talks in depth about Steelhead life cycles/Life history, as well as steelheading history.

I think we met last year on the river, you know my friend Danny. Anyways, feel free to email me your number and I can shoot you a text next time I'm out your way... which will pretty much be every other weekend haha.

Cheers,

Michael    michael.thom@hotmail.com

dave c

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 04:14:51 PM »

Tks Michael. Sent u an email.

tight lines

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 05:47:21 PM »

I actually just read a ministry paper on the average age of adult spawning steelhead on Vancouver Island earlier this afternoon. Think I can find the paper again? Nope it somehow vanished and I can't remember the search I used....

Regardless... they have a list of 20 or 30 diff rivers where samples for age were taken. Most rivers had the largest age class composed of 4 year old fish (most rivers the population was made up of 25% or greater of 4 year fish). Some rivers were made up entirely out of 4 or 5 year old fish, whereas others had very few 4 or 5 year old fish and a whole bunch of 1,2,3 year old fish. If I remember correctly, the Stamp had a large component of 2 year old fish (hence their small average size).

So, some fish return after their first year of salt water. Some fish return after a couple years, and some fish will spawn 3 or 4 times before they finally die (these are the big ones).

It's interesting. The last couple years of the very poor winter steelhead fishing, there have been very few small fish caught from my own observations and friends observations. Generally when fish have been caught, they have been fairly large. I'm wondering if there is some sort of event that is eliminating the 1st and 2nd year class fish right now (offspring of the past couple years) out in the ocean. I would assume the low survival would be during the smolting/going out to the ocean for the first time stage (this would make the most sense as the larger fish seem to be surviving fine returning to the ocean as adults, and coming back a 2/3/4 time).

Ian Forbes

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 06:29:08 PM »

Everyday gave a good general reply. It really depends on the river system and what the obstacles are on that system. It also depends on the problems in the ocean when the smolts are going to sea. Most steelhead fry remain in a river for close to two years before heading to sea. But, in some river systems like the Thompson and a few in the Skeena system, the young steelhead stay an extra year in the river before migrating to the ocean. Changing ocean temperatures affect the outgoing smolts and cause added problems such as abundant, predatory mackerel that might wipe out one age class. In relatively sterile rivers, like many on Vancouver Island, the fry tend to go to the ocean sooner. In rivers with a good food source the fry might be larger and hence more able to adapt in the ocean. Nature always provides a few wild cards that migrate at different times (early or late) so in cases of natural disasters there are always a few that survive to continue the species.

firebird

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 07:43:30 PM »

I can e-mail copies of some older (late 70's) reports by BC Fish and Wildlife about life history characteristics of local steelhead populations (Capilano, Seymour, Alouette, Chehalis, Chilliwack) and a Bob Hooten report on Van Isle steelhead ages to anyone who might be interested. PM me or provide email address by reply to this.

On second thought, I'll provide links to the reports tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:10:03 PM by firebird »

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 07:53:40 PM »

Hey firebird i would love to take a look at those copies

provocop8@gmail.com

Thanks Matt

firebird

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 08:09:05 PM »

5 reports sent via separate messages. Let me know if there are any problems.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 09:05:14 PM »

Hey Firebird. I'd also love to check em out.

thoprice@gmail.com

cheers!

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 09:07:36 PM »

Total age of a steelhead can  be a little deceiving and is usually broken down into freshwater growth and ocean growth. If we look at the Vedder system the smolts are either 2 or 3 years old when they go to the ocean. That is from egg to migration and assumes both occur in May or June. These age classes are approximately 50/50.
The adults then return at ocean age 2 or 3. It is the ocean age that is significant in the size of the returning adult with 2 ocean fish from 5-8 lbs. and 10 and up being 3 ocean. A 9lb. Dec. fish is usually a 3 ocean fish whereas a 9 lb fish returning in March-April could be a 2 ocean fish. Of course there can be exceptions where a 1 ocean fish would be a jack probably 17 - 20 inches although after reading thousands of scales and nose tags I have never seen a 1 or a 4 ocean fish.
It is interesting to note that the second largest fish on record from the Vedder a 25+ lb. fish caught in the late seventies by the master, was a first time spawner that was a 3 ocean fish.
So the age structure of Vedder steelhead  is 2.2(2fresh 2 ocean)=4,   2.3=5   3.2=5  or  3.3=6
As far as returning fish go on the Vedder a late  1960's estimate of 6% was recorded and I believe that is fairly accurate from what I've seen, maybe even a little high. So about 95% of steelhead die after there first spawn. So for those of you that think steelhead are very resilient  think again and handle with care. Sorry couldn't help but put that in there.
Of the returning 2nd time spawners, that we analyzed, it is very obvious on the scales the stress of the first spawn, as ridges of the previous years growth have been absorbed and no growth of the fish had occurred. Most of the second time spawners were small fish 6-7 lbs and were probably no smaller on there first spawn.
As pointed out other systems are different. The larger systems do have 4 year smolts and the systems that have short distances to the ocean (ie. Vancouver Isl) have a higher repeat spawning population.

Then again we read the scales two summer steelhead, caught on the high seas and thought to have originated from the Skeena system that had repeat spawnened 8 and 9 times and were 40 and 42 lbs. These fish did show significant growth between spawns.

A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 09:49:12 PM »

Firebird I would love to see those reports.
 Email gteboek1@telus.net

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

BCLAX

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 10:42:34 PM »

Thanks for posting the links  :)

firebird

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 01:23:02 PM »

Thanks for the links. Interesting reading. Found it amusing to see reports published before the advent of computers.

Yes, those were the frustrating days of sticking keys and white-out :)