Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Norton Lake  (Read 9198 times)

Rosco P. COHOtrane

• The rivers are calling and I must go...
Norton Lake
« on: June 13, 2004, 09:37:55 PM »

I wanted to check out Norton Lake so I drove up to the north end of Indian Arm from Squamish trying to find it. Drove up...well er actually rock crawled in 1st and 2nd gear on Hixon Creek FSR but couldn't find the right turn off.  

Here's a photo of the Wigwam Inn that I took at the end of Indian Arm FSR.  

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showphoto.php?photo=23076&size=big&password=&sort=1&thecat=502

Nice area. Went into the FSR from hwy 99 at around 11:30hours. Got back to the hwy around 17:30hours.

I have the Back COunrty Map book but the details are too small.  Does anybody know how to get to Norton Lake?

Bantam_50

Re:Norton Lake
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 11:27:22 PM »

If memory serves me right....and this is going back 20 yrs. +....the first left branch road (off the main Indian River valley main) is just after the first wood bridge you'd cross on the way down to the inlet. I haven't been back since and understand the monster hill is no longer there. Hope this might help.

BTW- Just viewed the pic...Yep roads end at the inlet...now I believe there's only one right branch road heading back out. That's the one to Norton....
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 11:30:05 PM by Bantam_50 »

Sandhead

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 11:17:11 AM »

I was up at Norton Lake recently, you almost need a backroads map to find the lake among the maze of logging roads up there.

After turning off the Indian River FSR you drive up the Hixon Creek FSR till you come to a area where the road splits into two, take the left road (rocks are spraypainted pointing direction to Norton) and then travel for a good distance up hill some more and watch for the deep bumps and tire peircing rocks. Make your first right and drive up hill some more (if you miss this right then you'll end up at washed out bridge). Then you need to  make a right when you come to a fork in the road.

If you decide to go back up there and search for the lake make sure to watch out for bears. Saw lots of them on the Hixon Creek Road.

Overall its a far drive for a day of fishing, very far as its almost 2 hours away from squamish. Not very far distance but that Hixon Creek Road is the shits.
Ain't no HO like a COHO

Rosco P. COHOtrane

• The rivers are calling and I must go...
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 02:39:25 PM »

THanks for the info guys! I took a couple lefts on Hixon Creek FSR, down a very rocky road and ended up at a huge log blocking further vehicle traffic. After a couple hours of looking, I turned around and went back to the mainline. My truck used lots of gas rock crawling and didn't want to run out in the middle of nowhere.  
I didn't see any bears but saw scat very 20 feet at the beginning of  Hixon Creek FSR. They were huge piles. Bear must've had diarrea eating all the berries on the side of the road. Hixon Cr FSR certainly IS the ****s!   ;D

Sandhead, dod you get your line in the water?

Sandhead

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 04:31:51 PM »

There's fish in Norton and its a pretty lake, but I'm not sure if it worth the time/effort and damage to my truck getting there. The Indian River Road is hard enough on my truck. I was totally surprised that there was still a fair amount of snow at the summit.

I've been fishing the Squamish Area at least once a week since April and I've managed to find a couple of lakes much closer that are very productive and alot easier on my truck.

I'll shoot you a private email Rosco and let you know the fly patterns and size of the fish I caught.
Ain't no HO like a COHO