Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wading boots  (Read 16931 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Wading boots
« on: December 26, 2013, 08:50:29 PM »

Santa came through this year and got me a nice pair of Simms G3 waders :) My current Cabela's boots could probably last me this steelhead season, but they are pretty bagged so I've decided to treat myself to a new pair of wading boots. The only type I have used thus far are with felt soles (from Cabela's). I find the felt is great on slippery rocks, but sucks when bushwacking especially up or down a mucky hill. I've fallen on my my friend a few times and it seems felt + mud = slip and slide!

I searched the archives on this site and read through a few good threads ("Simms vibram sole wading boots" started by Noahs Arch seemed to be the best). Several people on this past thread were thinking of going with the Vibram soles, so I'm just hoping to get some more recent reviews or hear from people who didn't respond to this past thread.

To summarize some of the reveiws/opinions from this previous thread:

-Only use Vibram soles if you're adding studs
-Vibram is better on dirt/trails, but not as good as felt, even if the Vibram has studs
-Studs can make an annoying grinding noise on rocks
-Felt is tops for slippery rocks

I'm leaning towards getting felted boots with no studs. The one place I do NOT want to slip is wading out, crossing moving water, walking over slippery rocks on shore, etc. If I'm walking up/down hill on shore I just try to be more careful now with felts and generally have no issues.

Also, when lake fishing in colder weather I wear my waders + boots in my boat and definitley do not want studs scratching things up! ???

I want to get a solid pair of boots this time and don't mind forking over $200+. It seems most shops will tell you to so Simms or go home, however I'm seriously looking at the Korkers as it would be nice to be able to pop in Vibrams when felts were of no use. I don't want to buy the boots online so whatever I buy needs to be in stock. Going to Fred's Chilliwack tmrw to see what they have. Any advice would be much appreciated. 

kid fisherman

Re: Wading boots
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 09:09:38 PM »

I have the krokers and can't say anything bad about them. I have really wide feet and they fit great and I can where them for hours. I also like the option of being able to swap out the felts.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 10:03:02 PM »

My fishing partner has korkers and hates them. Not even a year old and they're falling apart.
These are not base model boots either, hurt can't stand the heavy usage he puts on them.

I bought a new pair if Simms felt boots last spring, great boots.

opwins

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 10:42:22 PM »

I will say the simms guide boot has great ankle support especially when your hiking lots.  I use the vibram soles with studs…….. don't bother otherwise.  I also have a friend that uses the same boot with just felt and really likes them.

fishing4salmon

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 12:43:56 AM »

I like to use Vibram with stud. I found it grippy for any condition except for on the boat or indoor.
For Stud, I found a cheaper alternative to simms stud.
I use Kold Kutter Traction Screws. they coming in many different size and are usually found in racing motor bike/ATV on snow ground.
250 studs = $19, or 1000 studs = $58 which work out to be no more than $0.076 for a stud. so that is less than $2 if 10 studs on each boots. Nothing to loose

the quality is pretty good at this price range and does the work.
the size I use is 3/8" #8

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 08:06:32 AM »

Over the last few years I have used the Simms Guide felt, Simms G3 Vibrams and Korkers Chrome. I have been using the Korkers exclusively for the last 9 months and must easily have put 50 days or more on them with no problems, no wear or tear issues. I have used the felt, Klingon and Klingon with carbide tips. I find the Klingon soles to be not quite as good as the Vibram in terms of both traction and wear. The carbide tips seem to add just the right amount of extra grip. No doubt the versatility of the Korker changeable sole is hard to beat. The boots are light and comfortable without problems of rock bruising or grinding the feet I've had with some other boot.

The Simms guide boots are the best made toughest boot on the market. They wear like iron. The downside is they are heavy and the extra weight can make a difference. I had trouble with calcium deposits on my achilles tendons for several months and the weight of the G3s could make walking a day of agony. I put hard bite star cleats on the Vibrams which gave them just about the best traction I have experienced but increased discomfort while walking on hard surfaces.

As mentioned in the opening post felt slips on mud. It also freezes and collects snow. Felt also wears faster than the other options but offer excellent traction wading rocky stream bottoms.

While some people prefer felt soles for their superior traction on rock, I think Simms Vibrams offer the best combination of traction in all conditions. Korkers are versatile and relatively light weight.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

brysonk

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 08:26:55 AM »

I've been using korkers for the last 4 season and they are just starting to wear out. I use the studded felt soles and would never use anything else. Best of all worlds with the felt and studs.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 10:44:52 AM »

I have had a few pairs of Korkers over the last few years. The versitility of changing soles is the biggest selling point. I am a big fan of the boa laces too. Every version they put out they are continuously improving. I originally had the Guides and I had quite a few complaints. I had/have the Chromes were so much better, they are a really good boot.  I am now are using the Devil's Canyons that just came out this month and absolutely love them so far.

Felt is hard to beat for in the water traction but I wear through felt bottoms in well under a year, so it's nice to be able to quickly swap out to fresh felt rather than resoleing or new boots. I also run studded felt for a good portion of the year, but don't want studs in the boat so it is nice to have the ability to swap rather than have fixed studs.

The Klingon soles (korkers version of vibram) are pretty much useless for wading. Scary slippery on wet rocks. Only thing I use them for is lake fishing, when I use my waders as rain gear.

The latest soles I have been using are their Alumatrax. Klingon soles with aluminum bars. Sounds weird, but the aluminum is soft and bites into rocks like Velcro. These soles have provided the best wet wading traction I have ever experienced. Better than studded felt which is what I previously thought was the best yet.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 03:44:18 PM »

Great tips guys! :D

Vancook: what Simms felt boots did you buy?

Fishingforsalmon: good idea on the traction screws! You mentioned you use the 3/8 screws for Vibram soles, I wonder if a different length is required for felt soles? I believe it was Jonny Cannuck who commented in another thread on this topic that there are screws for Vibram, and screws for felt, and they are different lengths, and not to mix them up!

I can't believe how expensive the Simms screws are! Holy crap! What's so great about them compared to the cold cutters? I think they were $40bucks for a pack!

Anyway, I went and tried several pairs of boots on today (with waders on, of course). The Korkers just didn't fit well, didn't like them. It's possible there are other models that I might like, but I'm not about to drive all over the lowermainland trying on various Korkers. Tied on several Simms boots, fit was much better. Going on what I liked and the advice of the staff, I was between the Guide boots with felt soles and the Freestones with felt.

Apparently the guide boots are warmer as they have more neoprene/insulation, and are an overall better built boot. However, as many have pointed out they are significantly heavier. I tried one on each foot and didn't notice a huge difference in weight, however walking all day I imagine the difference would be more noticable.

I think the Guide boots were $60 more than the Freestones. I am leaning towards the guide boots as it sounds like they are warmer and better constructed. I don't think I would put studs in them for now as 99% of the time I do not have a problem with felt, and if I'm going down a bank or whatever on the canal I just walk low so if I fall my arse is already close to the ground :o When fishing rivers like the Thompson where I've heard studs are needed, I've heard of guys slipping a strechy/gripping device over their boot similar to chaining up a tire on a vehicle. I don't know the proper name for them. Given the price of the Simms studs, what do ya'll think of just buying a pair of these thingamajiggers and using them the odd time where extra traction is needed?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 04:34:14 PM »

I've had both. The Guide boots are worth the extra money. Better fit and they will last longer.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 04:41:16 PM »

you mean like these !!!  :o

http://www.patagonia.com/ca/product/river-crampon?p=79195-0

$239.00 is getting a little fu**ing ridiculous !!!
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

ChumChaser

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 04:55:50 PM »

I love my Simms guide boots, I have the vibram ones and had burnt through four pairs of Simms cleats in two years. I have also started using the  Kold Kutter and haven't looked back. They don't give you as much grip as the Simms cleats but in my opinion they give more than adequate traction. If you are getting the Guide boots with felt I think using a pair of crampon cleats is a great idea for winter or rivers with that slippery snot algea.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 04:59:21 PM »

Thanks RalphH, alright I'm probably going to get the Guide Boots then. Store didn't have any in my size but will have tomorrow likley, so if the size 10s fit I'll likley buy them.

HOOK, holy crap now those are some hardcore crampons! :o Can't see myself needing something that hardcore. You can get them on backcountry.com for $199 I think, no sales tax (Oregon) and free shipping to the US.

I think for now I'll just stick to the straight felts as I generally haev zero issues with felt, and if I start fishing the Thompson etc then I'll buy a set of studs and screw them in to the boots.

Can you take the studs in and out repeatedly? I'm guessing this is a bit of a nono?

PS: Chumchaser and Fishingforsalmon: Do you have any idea which cold cutters are the right length for Simms felt soles? According to comments on this site it is different than the Vibram soles (forget if it is longer or shorter). I am guessing it will be 1/2 or 5/8. Assuming the size 10 guide boots fit okay, I will buy them. I don't think I'll put studs in them right away but I would like to have some on hand. Who knows maybe I'll try the Simms studs first buy they are pretty ridulously priced IMO! :o
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 10:11:05 PM by Spawn Sack »

604benny1980

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 11:36:53 PM »

I have the Simms guide felt boots and love them. Great support and very comfortable.  Well worth the extra bucks. 

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 03:51:57 PM »

Santa came through this year and got me a nice pair of Simms G3 waders :) My current Cabela's boots could probably last me this steelhead season, but they are pretty bagged so I've decided to treat myself to a new pair of wading boots. The only type I have used thus far are with felt soles (from Cabela's). I find the felt is great on slippery rocks, but sucks when bushwacking especially up or down a mucky hill. I've fallen on my my friend a few times and it seems felt + mud = slip and slide!

One cheater way I've done when hiking on slippery mud, is to put on ice soles onto my felt and I found it helped a LOT!  You know those black strechy rubber things with studs/springs on them - they cost under 20 bucks.  They also obviously help when on icy patches where felt can be slippery too!

Maybe not the BEST option, but certainly cheaper than buying new boots (for others sake that don't need new ones at the moment)...
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.