Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interest in recreation fishing on the rise or decline ???  (Read 7380 times)

arimaBOATER

Interest in recreation fishing on the rise or decline ???
« on: December 23, 2013, 09:13:13 PM »

Some 20 or more years ago there were a lot of salt & fresh water licences being sold.
Then there was 1000s & 1000s of fewer bought yearly.

Nearly a 50% drop in salt water fishing licences.
Maybe lack of local fish to be caught & also e-10 fuel that can wreck havoc in outboard engines.
E-10 fuel sucks in water thus it causes problems with ignition.
Too many break downs & $90-$110 hr for marine mechanics would have a lot of people selling their boat.
Plus the high cost of fuel.

As far as the fresh water licences I've heard it is climbing in numbers as compared to 5-6 years ago.
Rebound in interest in the sport. ( ? )

Maybe there are a lot of recreation fishermen/ladies who fish in very out of the way places & they simply do not bother purchasing a lic.
Who knows maybe 50,000 or more.
The human race has been known to break the rules.

arimaBOATER

Re: Interest in recreation fishing on the rise or decline ???
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 03:33:30 PM »

Trophy Tackle thanks for the responds
Feedback.
Seems my posts do not generate much facilitation on this site.

Will no longer waste your time or mine.

But honestly FWR is an excellent & informative place thus will definitely keep learning from it.
 God bless.
Adios !
Dog wags the tail.
That's the way it should be.
Canada Land of the free.

TacoChris

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 08:17:43 PM »

i think the lack of responce has much to do with the Hollidays. I am sure many have been busy with other things

I would be willing to bet the lack of salt water license has more to due with costs than any thing else. I grew up fishing salt water here but have only been out twice in that last 20 years. I would think fresh water numbers are up because people still wish to fish and can more easily afford it. I would prefer to fish salt water to fresh but I can not afford it.

I doubt the numbers of those fishing without a licence are large enough to make a massive difference.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 10:09:39 PM »

--Used to be a fish and wildlife department... their main focus was to provide for hunting and fishing.
--Current focus of ministry  is preservation of native species.

--Would be nice to see some balance.. gofishbc has become the advocate of fishing as they derive their funding from licenses thus an interest in offering youth fishing courses and concentration on urban fishing.

--I believe if fishing is to be brought back to historic levels there must be opportunities for inexpensive start up.. simple bent pin and worm areas. We all need to encourage new participants and quit making it so painful for beginners to just have fun.

--Competative fishing...some opportunities for derby or competative fishing (definately not for everyone) but still an area of the sport that is not as developed here as elsewhere.

--Courses such as BCWF and others who put on family fishing day experiences .. geared for those who may not have had a parent as a mentor.

--What is with the licensing that you have to purchase in March for the year instead of what they did with car insurance and let you purchase for a year from date of purchase.. these are small tweaks to the system that would make it much easier and encourage people to get a license.

Dogbreath

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 08:49:05 AM »

The larger question is why the lack of interest in the outdoors?

We live in a drop dead gorgeous place but  most people who live here couldn't care less about spending time in the outdoors.

rustybee

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 09:02:21 AM »

The larger question is why the lack of interest in the outdoors?

We live in a drop dead gorgeous place but  most people who live here couldn't care less about spending time in the outdoors.

Because people are actually outdoors instead of mulling over the internet like we are doing right now... LOL.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 01:47:03 PM »

Gee my post did get some feedback!

Guess I kinda was impatient after I seen 50 views & no replies.
"Sorry"
Not exactly a Christmas "spirit" or New Years positive attitude from me.
Posting & replies & feedback is like fishing.
Sometimes the fish are biting & other times very slow.
Normally I do not take things personally or let things get under my skin.

So......thanks for the excellent replies to my post topic.
By the way I always have considered this site to be TOP NOTCH & run by "thumbs up" people.
( back track ....a late but heart sent " Merry Christmas & best for 2014 ! )

Wow what a great day weather wise to get out there & cast some lures & smell the fresh air. :)

StillAqua

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 08:14:19 PM »

i think the lack of responce has much to do with the Hollidays. I am sure many have been busy with other things
LOL....like last minute Xmas shopping........I am a guy after all....

I would be willing to bet the lack of salt water license has more to due with costs than any thing else. I grew up fishing salt water here but have only been out twice in that last 20 years. I would think fresh water numbers are up because people still wish to fish and can more easily afford it. I would prefer to fish salt water to fresh but I can not afford it.
I have to agree. I know I gave up salt water fishing and went strictly freshwater in part because of the costs of my boat.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/stats/rec/can/index-eng.htm
In 1990, there were roughly equal numbers of 354,265 BC Freshwater anglers and and 347,924 Tidal water anglers. 20 years later, in 2010, there were 286,167 BC Freshwater anglers and fewer 228,162 Tidal water anglers. And the average age is up from 45 years to 52 years. We're just not getting the kids anymore.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 10:22:24 AM »

The drop in interest in salt water fishing is due to reduced opportunity to catch fish.   The coho abandoned Georgia Strait eliminating the tremendously popular 'blue back' fishery for immature coho early in the season.  Then there came wild fish release rules, lack of live herring for bait together with barbless hook rules, seasonal area closures, slot limits, closures on bottom fish and on and on.  There used to be thousands of folk fishing the Strait from 12 foot boats on a calm summer evening.  The reduced numbers of fish and restrictions mean that a much more capable boat suitable for longer runs is now required and some of the popular areas like off Comox are closed for much of the season.  Taken together these changes have dissuaded or forced out the casual fishers and people of modest means who can't afford the boats required.

20 years or so on the sport  is missing the generation of local younger folks who grew up without readily accessible salt chuck fishing.

There is still lots of opportunity to fish but the the probability of catching an easy fish is too low for many.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:59:34 AM by VAGAbond »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 12:41:24 PM »

Lots of great insights & have to agree whole heartily with above posts.

Did a lot of salt fishing in a 21 ft inboard back in the 70s
Kept the boat at Lions Bay Marina.
Steep hill down from the hwy.

So many boats on the water. We got into a lot of fish.
CKNW had live fishing reports from their boat.
Big Al I think & also Ted Peck a real favourite of mine.
They do not create guys like him from a cookie cutter.

Then we got back into salt fishing in 2003 on to 2011.
It was a time for my senior dad & I to bond & have memories before he passes away.
Definately got skunked more often but learned that there were a few hot spots. ( secret )
It was such an adventure.
Even the times we nearly crapped our pants on the Fraser ,in the strait, or Sandheads.
Sometimes crazy water conditions via standing waves,big vessel wake, currents,tide changes,wind blown waves OR debris in the water.
In that time (03-11) we got 3 dif used boats. 13-16ft.

If families want to bond together & have adventure definitely fishing is one of the sports of many activities that are available.
Getting a fish on never gets old.

We never used McDonald Beach years ago ( we do now ) but heard stories of so many wanting to launch from there on given days the line up was 2 km long !!!

For the last 2 years barely have used our boat as my dear dad had a major stroke on Nov 11 /2011. "Ya" a day to remember.
In a wheelchair but he is in great spirits & has full memory,talks ok & is never bored.
He's 88 & I am his full time care aid. ( 7 days a week...cook,laundry,shopper,landscaper...)
The times we had fishing is the very very most fun we had & the memories are many. Got a lot of pics.
Gone are the days of having 1000s & 1000s of boats sport fishing local waters on a given day.
Nevertheless the ones that are in the sport it's a plus not having such crowded launches & having more room out on the water.

RyanB

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 11:41:03 PM »

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/stats/rec/can/index-eng.htm
In 1990, there were roughly equal numbers of 354,265 BC Freshwater anglers and and 347,924 Tidal water anglers. 20 years later, in 2010, there were 286,167 BC Freshwater anglers and fewer 228,162 Tidal water anglers. And the average age is up from 45 years to 52 years. We're just not getting the kids anymore.

Population of BC
1990,"   3,292,111"
2013,"   4,581,978"

The population increased by 1.3 million. 

I was born and raised locally and have seen the character of the province change a lot.  More immigrants, more DINKs (double-income, no kids), and old people.

Personal anecdotes:
I meet a lot of immigrants whenever I go fishing.  Most are Eastern Europeans and Asians but almost every country is represented.  I don't think there is a lack of love for fishing among immigrants.

What I don't see are the yuppies and DINKs.  The lower mainland used to be a lot more blue-collar and people were used to getting their hands dirty.  I see a lot more yuppies locally and they don't fish.  They jog and cycle.  They jog around lakes instead of fishing in them.

I never see really old people fishing.  I think there is a window of middle-age to about 65 when fishing is relatively easy.  When people get much older they have mobility and transportation problems which keeps them from fishing.

So, my guess is DINKs and an aging population are what have reduced the population of anglers. 
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

TacoChris

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 11:17:54 AM »

i would definalty agree all of these factors have cotributed to the delcline in the salt water fishery.

Our soicty today. Many peolpe have no where to store a small boat.

TacoChris

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 11:54:50 AM »

Hit the wrong button was not finished

i would defiantly agree all of these factors have contributed to the decline in the salt water fishery. I still think cost is the biggest factor for salt water however.

Our society today. . When I was young my Dad had boats up to 50 feet and was not wealthy. In the 70's he would pick up an old wooden boat for less than $15,000. Try that now. Just think about morage, fuel and upkeep. When your mortgage eats up the majority of your income boats become a luxury. Many people have no where to store a small boat.A lot of us live in much smaller places. For may they would have to rent of charter a boat.

Numbers of fish are smaller makes it less attractive. Perception would have a big impact. I think many believe the fishery is poor every where.

Regulation absolutely. I get odd looks when I tell people I do not keep most of the fish I catch.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 01:30:26 AM »

Yous are making so many good pts. Lots of very clever members here on FWR.
Live in Richmond  & when we launched our 16ft 1996 Arima boat it was more into June thru Oct.
Snow melt had the Fraser flow too fast.
Do remember heading from Steveston to New Westminster & having to dodge literally 1000s of branches,debris,drift wood,plywood ,small logs on & on

Have to say cost is a big factor if one buys a new boat & fuel costs a lot if one boats 50 ,60 or more kms in a day.
We bought a used boat & stuck a 40 hp 4 stroke & would zip to Sandheads & troll 4-5-6hrs & zip back to the harbour ( take about 25 minutes as we had only a 40 hp as mentioned )
Cost on fuel was about $30 !!!
We'd use mostly the 40 hp to troll but if conditions were calm we'd troll with the 4hp kicker.

We had the fishing bug of course but we equally just liked boating as well.
40% of the time we'd just boat about.
Many times finding a nice spot near Ladner/ Westham Island area & anchor & just unwind.
Enjoy the views,air,water,other boats,play crib,have a beer or 2,or coffee, sandwich etc...
When ya got home literally it felt like just returning from a vacation.

Boat storage can be a problem as mentioned in another post.
Totally agree if people are paying off their mortgage, vehicle payments & other life's expenses there is not the extra dough to spend buying & operating a boat.
Seems like costs are increasing in every area,hydro,gas,tolls,food,insurance,university on & on.

Mind you boating seems to be very popular in cities like Kelowna where so many people own one.
Lots of lakes. Of course it's not salt water.
Lots of younger kids seem to be into the latest tech gadget & not so interested in salt water fishing.
Local radio stations & CTV,Global & CBC rarely do stories involved with anything to do with the local salt water boating stories.
Like anything tends end & start & who knows salt water boating & fishing could sky rocket or get less & less.
The yearly Vancouver Boat Show is very big.
Think this year it's actually in January & from a Wed to a Sunday.

I know a neighbour about 3 houses away who wants to get a boat one day.
He says he simply just wants to launch the boat & speed off for 10 minutes & anchor.
Just to use it like a get a way.

Zillion stories & adventures boating local waters /Fraser R like one area we'd troll & got hits so many times it was like every pass I'd be just staring at the rod getting ready to react.
One thing also is salt water boating / Fraser R can be very dangerous.
Winds kick up big waves & then also very low tides can make launches difficult to use.
Lots of crap in the water too,deadheads,or water logged debris barely visible on & on.

For those willing to learn & use safety boating local waters is an adventure.
It really gets into one's blood.
But that old saying about being happy buying a boat & 2x happy selling the boat has a truth.
Nevertheless the adventures are priceless.
We were fortunate though as we never had breakdowns on the water or rammed into something.
Believe me so so so many times "something could of gone wrong". ( just missed hitting a big sucker log barely visible or getting into very very big waves , just missing deadheads by a few feet on. & on. )
One bad experience & we'd get out of boating in a snap of a finger.