Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stillwater fly patterns  (Read 6846 times)

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
Stillwater fly patterns
« on: June 11, 2004, 12:50:37 PM »

In about 10 days I expect to be putting my flyrod together somewhere between Williams Lake and Bella Coola.  A couple of days ago I went through my tackle box and found lots of my flies are pretty moth eaten; plus, these are mostly flies I used to fish in shallow, flowing water.  So, I'm planning, as soon as I get to Vancouver, to visit some  shops and buy, among other things, a bunch of flies.  I'm hoping you  guys can tell me which patterns and sizes I should get.  Also, what should I expect to pay (more or less) for a tied fly?  

I also plan to stop at local fishing tackle shops nearer to where we will be fishing to find out what patters are currently doing best, and I'm wondering if I should put off buying flies entirely until I'm at that point in the trip.  Thanks for any suggestions or advice you have.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
Re:Stillwater fly patterns
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 04:48:53 PM »

Thanks Adanac,
I got in touch with ffisherman in Quesnel.  I'm gonna buy a box of his flies.  I think that should take care of it.  Sounds like a nice kid, too; I feel real good about giving him the business (so to speak).