Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Collecting coho salmon broodstocks  (Read 1595 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Collecting coho salmon broodstocks
« on: November 24, 2013, 01:01:24 PM »

Now that fishing is tapering off, you can still be involved by helping out at your local community watershed stewardship group and hatchery. Volunteers have been busy collecting salmon broodstocks and spawning them. These photos were taken from Hyde Creek in Coquitlam this morning when volunteers collected four pairs of fish for tomorrow's spawning session.

gmachine19

Re: Collecting coho salmon broodstocks
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 05:11:04 PM »

How do I volunteer?? Do I just show up at the hatchery and ask them?
You should've been here yesterday!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 05:15:51 PM »

For Hyde Creek Watershed Society, you can send them an email at hcws.info@gmail.com or phone the hatchery during the day at 604-803-0483. You can also drop by the hatchery (3636 Coast Meridian Road) on Saturdays after 10am to talk to the group.

http://www.hydecreek.org/

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 06:46:22 PM »

I dropped by the hatchery again this morning to watch the volunteers collecting eggs and milt from the fish they scooped up yesterday.

While there, I had a chance to check out the education centre on the second floor and was quite amazed by what this organization has accomplished since the hatchery was built ten years ago. The classroom setup sees around 250 groups of 30 to 50 kids each year, creating awareness and future stewards. There was one school group attending today. The kids were given hot chocolate and snacks while watching a presentation of salmonid biologist by a couple of volunteer instructors. Here is a photograph of the classroom.

If you live in the area, I highly recommend that you drop by and chat with some of these passionate volunteers, and consider donating some hours and dollars to keep the programs going.