Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: foul hooking?  (Read 3447 times)

y6165780

foul hooking?
« on: November 20, 2013, 09:41:45 AM »

I know what a foul hooking is, but how about this:

I fished, short float with wool, at Tamihi a  couple of weeks ago and was lucky enough to land a chum after some fight. I could tell the hook was set in the mouth of  the poor fish from the way it struggled. However, as the fish was brought near, I saw the hook was flashing on its left side gill. I cursed for a foul hooking and landed the fish only to find that it was not foul hooked. Or to be precise, it was NOT hooked at all. Somehow, during the hook setting and the fight, the leader went between the poor soul's mouth, wrapped around her both gill plates, then, amazingly, the hook hooked onto the leader and became a loop. So the poor guy was landed the way a horse was harnessed. Is it a foul hooking?

Is it a foul hooking?

fic

• Old Timer
Re: foul hooking?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 10:03:18 AM »

It's not a legally caught fish even if the hook never touched the fish.  It's almost like accidentally netting a fish while you are washing your net in the river.

brandooner

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 10:40:18 AM »

hmm i would have just let it go cuz the hook wasnt in its mouth.
The Fishin' Musician!

sbc hris

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 10:43:27 AM »

I did the same thing once, lasooed a coho  :o

Any fish landed this way should definitely be released.

zap brannigan

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 01:50:48 PM »

Seen a chum lassoed around the tail a few weeks back.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 11:32:51 PM »

Kinda like this?

You can see this guy wrapped actually. He rolled in the line 3 times.. and the line was kinda wrapped around his dorsal and his pectoral fins, along with his maxilla, and then the hook looped around the last loop and effectively lassoed it. It was terrible to unhook, I ended up cutting my lead. I actually landed 4 coho this year, and a chum this way. Once I wasn't even using a hook, I had hit a snag, a fish rolled in my line, broke me off and I landed the fish.

zap brannigan

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 08:16:55 AM »

I had one just like that aswell, but it was wrapped around its head so tight it actually popped its eye right out of its socket.

sbc hris

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 12:21:39 AM »

The one I lasooed was right around the mid section, touching the dorsal fin. There was only one wrap around the fish, and the colorado was just hooked back onto the line.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 06:43:34 AM »

Strange things happen when you fish often enough. I once landed a steelhead, that wasn't mine, on the Cheakamus River at "Fergies" by the bridge. Anyone who knows that water understands it is a very turbulent section. When I got the fish close it seemed like I had twice the length of leader that I normally use. What happened is another angler had broken the steelhead off at the swivel on his leader, and my hook had actually gone through the tiny hole in the swivel. I don't know the odds of that happening in such turbulent water, but it's a lot.

I've lost count of the fish I've accidentally "lassoed". Some times it's been around the tail and other times it's been around the lower jaw. In each case I think the fish was originally hooked in the mouth but somewhere during the fight the hook came free and fouled the line.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 06:52:25 AM »

I was fishing off the beach once.  One angler hooked a pink in the mouth but my line got tangled with his and the fish wrapped itself around my line.  The hook popped off as he brought it to his feet and the fish began swimming away except my line was wrapped around his belly.  He was thankful I tangled his line!

DC1980

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 07:36:08 AM »

I was on a small flow last week, float went down, set the hook....about 5 seconds later the angler downstream from me casts out.  He didn't realize I had a fish on and immediately gets tangled with me. When I landed it both hooks were in the mouth. Wild coho so back he went but I have never seen that before.

TNAngler

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 08:20:33 AM »

I was fishing a small stream a few years ago.  It was a very small stream, a couple feet wide in many places but there were pools where it dumped in, 6 feet deep and 40 feet long.  Saw a flash and my float went down, set the hook and fought a huge trout for a couple minutes, 8-10 pounds probably.  He ended up cutting my line with his teeth.  Friend of mine on the other side a couple minutes later hooking into a fish much the same size.  Again, after about 10 minutes, the line broke.  Got another hook up in the same pool, about the same size fish that only lasted about a minute before breaking off.  There surely couldn't be that many fish in this one hole, could there?  Got hooked up again and played it very cautiously.  Finally got it up and the trout had all four of a previous hooks in his mouth along with my new one.  Aggressive sucker.

FrayedKnot

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 03:20:02 PM »

I was on a small flow last week, float went down, set the hook....about 5 seconds later the angler downstream from me casts out.  He didn't realize I had a fish on and immediately gets tangled with me. When I landed it both hooks were in the mouth. Wild coho so back he went but I have never seen that before.
Likely his hook slid down your line and came to rest in mouth near the other hook? I had that happen once. A noobish beak cast over me with a spring on and as im saying " hey, hey buddy" hes setting the hook when he catches my line and thinks he feels one. After being told by several others to release his drag I get the fish in, his hook beside mine. I released it and he was still grumbling to his buddies he thought it was a bite and his fish. Good times, good times. Dont fish that spot or the fishery for that matter much these days.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 03:22:37 PM by FrayedKnot »

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 08:54:39 PM »

happens to me all the time fishing for coho, I just release them, not worth the risk.   Its just a fish, personally I don't need to spend another large sum of money to go fishing, my jeep already costs me enough