Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Water condition  (Read 3541 times)

tburns

Squamish Water condition
« on: November 13, 2013, 01:18:44 PM »

Hey everyone.

Mulling over heading to Squamish tomorrow to try to seek out some coho.  I went out yesterday but was slightly discouraged at the lack of bites due to the poor water clarity (0.5 foot to 1 foot visibility). 

I'm pretty new to river fishing; do you think clarity will be as poor for tomorrow?  Seems like the forecast is for ~5mm of rain.

Thanks for all the help.  If any of you can teach me about what to expect for rains effect on water clarity it would be greatly appreciated.

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
Re: Squamish Water condition
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:46:33 AM »

I think clarity will improve slightly but you wont notice a dramatic difference.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 11:22:23 PM »

If you get a chance go now.  Water clarity is very good at about 3-4 ft. There are still fresh Coho to be had.  Three caught to jigs today, one a beauty hatchery at ~12lbs, silver with sea lice (I was astonished).

PS sorry I just realized I mentioned jigs in a fly fishing forum.  I'm a fly fisherman at heart, honest, just wanted to send out some encouragement that it was still worth a crack.  Saw a fly guy land 3 coho last weekend.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:25:35 PM by Knnn »

tburns

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 01:08:27 PM »

Will be heading out tomorrow.  That sounds great!  Were you fishing the lower or upper squamish?

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 03:25:20 PM »

Judd Road.

Let us know how it goes.  Have fun and good luck.

tburns

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 07:51:11 PM »

Great spots up there.  Will let you know tomorrow.  Cheers

tburns

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 09:16:30 PM »

Didn't have too much luck today.  Only got out on the water around 12:30 though (was meeting up with a craigslister to buy a 6wt fly rod!)

Hooked into a VERY fresh chum in the first 20 minutes but I didn't have too much follow up.  Seemed that the fish were pretty disinterested in my flies!

HamidSeshadri

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 08:33:43 AM »

i was out at judd rd yesterday chucking jigs, while my buddy out fished everyone on the the fly. he was using pink/red/white flies and hitting big chum on every second cast. his arms were quite sore byt the time we decided to head up river, i was very jealous hahahah

* water clarity was very good,

tburns

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 04:10:37 PM »

Was that you who i met in the parking lot at judd?  Met two guys who said the exact same thing and were breaking off to do some trout fishing.  I guess yesterday was not my day. 

My buddy is out currently and sent me photos of 2 chrome coho that he caught within the first hour!

HamidSeshadri

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 08:14:30 AM »

Was that you who i met in the parking lot at judd?  Met two guys who said the exact same thing and were breaking off to do some trout fishing.  I guess yesterday was not my day. 

My buddy is out currently and sent me photos of 2 chrome coho that he caught within the first hour!

were you the one showing the butt section of a new rod you bought? and my buddy told you about a fly reel he picked up on ebay? if so then yes that was us  :)

tburns

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 08:12:01 PM »

were you the one showing the butt section of a new rod you bought? and my buddy told you about a fly reel he picked up on ebay? if so then yes that was us  :)

hah yeah that was me.  You guys set my expectations too high!  i ended up picking up a redington rise off of cabelas for $100.