Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis Canyon Access - Boulder Creek  (Read 6048 times)

Speyfitter

Chehalis Canyon Access - Boulder Creek
« on: November 11, 2013, 09:15:38 AM »

I've fished the area in the Chehalis Canyon around the Boulder Creek confluence (just below) several years ago. I'm just wondering if anyone has been up there lately? We took a drive yesterday up the canyon road to look for access. I noticed some decent cutblocks yesterday that appear to be relatively old in the area (i.e. not reforested, no evidence of recent work), I saw one turn off with a closed yellow gate on it, and another turn off with a construction site sign on it that open with no gate. I've gone on Google Maps and it "kind of jives." It looks like if I took the construction site access road with the sign on it that I'd probably get into the network of roads that leads down to the river. Anyone been up there lately?

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: Chehalis Canyon Access - Boulder Creek
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 03:46:18 PM »

It's gated now due to vehicles being dumped and burned in there and they're going to start logging it soon. Honestly why post this on an open forum for any and all to see? Why not just ask for GPS coordinates, get out and explore like others do.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 05:41:12 PM »

gates closed and its to far and steep to walk

Speyfitter

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 05:44:03 PM »

Come on dude, the Chehalis Canyon is hardly "secret" material.  Many people KNOW what could be in the canyon most of the year, but the many of the spots, even this spot, are fairly limited in scope as far as water to access to fish. There are some big climbs, tough hikes, dangerous locations that some guys actually fish from, real stories of cougar tracking, anglers drowning (every year it seems at least 1-2 guys drown) - Overall it's A LOT of work for the potential reward. You do all this work maybe for a few casts at 1 Canyon pool, sometimes with very little access to ability to land the fish in some cases. The spot in question I am asking about is actually quite a limited location for the amount of driving and bushwhacking you might have to do.  But it's NOT this spot I am asking about as a fishing location. I am doing future reconnaissance as a pontoon put in. My experience and abilities are buildilng up to the point that I think with some safety precautions and back ups in place, this canyon from the Boulder confluence down CAN be pontooned. I'm not rocking the chicken little 'toon but an 11 footer, I got lots of back up gear and would have safeties in place before I do it including a partner. I wouldn't do it. There ARE a few guys that are doing it - as far as I know there is one guy who even does it himself in an Outcast Commander!

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 08:16:15 PM »

Used to fish that canyon in my twenties...alot of trekking involved.that area is severe wilderness speyfitter. Good luck on your quest.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 09:21:07 PM »

It's gated now due to vehicles being dumped and burned in there and they're going to start logging it soon. Honestly why post this on an open forum for any and all to see? Why not just ask for GPS coordinates, get out and explore like others do.

Is this a hatchery system?
Not all those who wander are lost

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 09:38:13 PM »

Don't play stupid, you know the answer. Just like the other system in regards to shops telling people where to go, this system has limited spots to fish up there. In all reality a handful of anglers fishing different spots could tie up most of the water. If you actually fished the system you would have an idea of what I'm talking about.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Speyfitter

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 10:34:39 PM »

Used to fish that canyon in my twenties...alot of trekking involved.that area is severe wilderness speyfitter. Good luck on your quest.

I'm well aware of the dangers involved. Just to give you an idea of my preparations:

1) Will not do alone obviously - will have a buddy with me who will be as prepared as I am.
2) At least one Personal Locator Beacon between the two of us
3) Full wetsuits or drysuits with PFD's, & Helmets
4) I will have my brother dropping us off and picking us up
5) Contemplating and when the day comes (I'm not that close YET as I still have more prep work to do and places I want to go/see first, plus
things to buy too, before getting there) either trying to hook up with some Kayakers for safety in numbers and/or hiring a whitewater guide for the first time down.
6) I've got good guides on this section, as well as seen a few good Kayaking videos, as well as there are lots of guys who believe it or not Canoe the canyon at lower water levels.
7) I'm talking ANOTHER pontoon course this coming May (took one a few monthes ago, plus have some experience) as well as I won't go before I have some swiftwater rescue training.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 10:43:47 PM »

So if you know all the answers then, why did you ask the question?
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Old Blue

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 11:03:02 PM »

So if you know all the answers then, why did you ask the question?

:) X2

Speyfitter

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 06:05:02 AM »

I don't have all the answers. Never said I did. Note I did not have the answer to the original question I asked either! Some people just have poopy pants because they think no one knows about the canyons potential.

joshhowat

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 07:04:43 AM »

As of now there is a gate.

It is locked.

You can park out front the gate and walk in.

I currently don't fish up there much due to better fishing.

When I start fishing the river for winter brood I will be checking on the gate to insure it's integrity is in tack.

Now get out there and enjoy fishing.

Eat, Sleep, Fish.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 07:10:28 AM »

Lol I almost did that yesterday~ good one.