Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Tides - Vedder or Dewdney  (Read 9022 times)

sumasriver

Fishing Tides - Vedder or Dewdney
« on: November 10, 2013, 10:07:48 AM »

Fishing Tides

A couple of questions about fishing the Vedder Canal or Dewdney Slough.

Do you find the fishing to be best as low tide  ends and the tides starts rising ? Is then when fish start to move ?

Do find the fishing best half way on the way to high tide. Eg. the tide has risen half of its way to high tide.  Now the fish have moved ?

Do find the fishing best at High Tide.  Now the water is slack and the water is not really moving but often deeper and less visibility for fish.

Do you find the fishing better when the water level starts to drop.  After high tide.

Just curious.

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing Tides - Vedder or Dewdney
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 10:29:14 AM »

I find the slack tide at the lowest tide point best. The fish are already there, but less water available, so they are more concentrated.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 12:42:45 PM »

I have a few spots I like to fish in the Vedder Canal between the Keith Wilson Bridge and the Old Train bridge. Can I up my odds by paying attention to the tide charts? I have heard add 4 hrs to high tide in New West will be prime time for fresh fish entering the Vedder River. I am less concerned with this for salmon as it seems most whenever I go out I normally get into something, but for steelheading when most times I get skunked it may be helpful to hit the canal at certain times (?)

sumasriver

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 01:38:26 PM »

Milo - so do you mean low tide at its end. Just as   water height starts to rise.

Slack might also allow lures / spoons / spinners  to run deeper .

Is it more  fish moving due to rising water.   Or is it more due to  less water flow so metal/gear running deeper ?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 06:08:12 PM »

Milo - so do you mean low tide at its end. Just as   water height starts to rise.

Correct.

Suther

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 06:59:49 PM »

Is it more  fish moving due to rising water.   Or is it more due to  less water flow so metal/gear running deeper ?

I think his point was with the low tide there is less water so whatever fish are there are more Concentrated

sumasriver

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 09:23:50 PM »

But wouldn't the vedder run  also  faster when tide is low.

Wouldn't this also make lure fishing more difficult with the increased water flow.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 01:23:39 AM »

During the incoming tide, the downstream current in the Vedder Canal up to a couple of runs above the Highway 1 Bridge will slow down.

sumasriver

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 11:12:26 AM »

1) Do people prefer fishing the canal when the tide is low  - higher flow to river  -  Less water.   and the fish are concentrated but sensitive to lower water conditions   Fast flow. Fish closer to bank.

Or

2) Do people prefer fishing the canal at high tide.  Lots of water . Fish are spread out. Water is deeper so fish are less tight jawed.  Lures  and spoons are easily sank to bottom and  run deeper.

Or

3) Do people prefer fishing  when the tide is low  ( water is flowing quicker )  but change has happened and water starts to rise. The Flow starts to slow.
Rising water is spreading out the fish..

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 02:31:42 PM »

I prefer to fish the canal when there is less people regardless of tides.

sumasriver

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 03:40:49 PM »

LOL  - agreed.

My favourite time to fish Vedder is late afternoon till sunset. 

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 09:59:33 AM »

x3

Any time is a good time.
Read the water, find where fish are/could be holding, cast. Repeat as needed.
Change presentation. cast. Repeat as needed.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 11:48:13 AM »

Very true.
When water is low, clear and pressured in the Canal, avoiding the crowd will lead to more hook ups.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 04:28:50 PM »

I re-read this thread, not sure I found the answer I'm looking for...

If trying to determine the "optimal" time to fish the Vedder canal, what formula does one use when looking at the tide charts? I believe someone told me "high tide in New West + 4 hours = optimal chance of getting into fresh/incoming fish in the canal."

I normally fish the canal between the old train bridge and the KW bridge. For salmon I just go when I can go and have never paid attention to the tides one bit. However with steelhead I'm really tying to up my game and get better at hunting/finding the buggers...I'm thinking IF I plan to hit the canal at some point during a day out on the river it might help to time fishing the canal with the highest odd of steelhead entering the river.

If somone can give me soem tips here that would be awesome :)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 06:27:06 PM »

I re-read this thread, not sure I found the answer I'm looking for...

If trying to determine the "optimal" time to fish the Vedder canal, what formula does one use when looking at the tide charts? I believe someone told me "high tide in New West + 4 hours = optimal chance of getting into fresh/incoming fish in the canal."

I normally fish the canal between the old train bridge and the KW bridge. For salmon I just go when I can go and have never paid attention to the tides one bit. However with steelhead I'm really tying to up my game and get better at hunting/finding the buggers...I'm thinking IF I plan to hit the canal at some point during a day out on the river it might help to time fishing the canal with the highest odd of steelhead entering the river.

If somone can give me soem tips here that would be awesome :)

I did reply, but it was on another thread to which you had posted a similar question.  While I cannot give you an "optimal time" to catch steelhead in the canal, I can tell you that the tide difference is closer to three hours (it is four hours different from the Vancouver/pt Atkinson station, which is about an hour off at New West).  You will have to go a few times and compare the actual tide with the charts to see what it is exactly.
Not all those who wander are lost