Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WTB: Reel and line for 8wt single hand fly rod  (Read 598 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
WTB: Reel and line for 8wt single hand fly rod
« on: November 09, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »

I lost my reel for my 8wt 9ft S/H fly rod :( Not really sure what happened to it. I had it off the rod for a while and went to go fly fishing a few weeks ago on the Vedder and could not find it. I spent HOURS looking in my house with no results. It's possible I put it on the roof of my car and drove of with it...who knows. No responses to my lost add on this site + Craig's List so it's time to look for a new one.

The reel I had on there was a Dragon Fly reel and I think "Kamloops" was the model. It was alright, click and pawl design. I caught a lot of fish on it but I'd like something with a disc drag next time around. If I were to buy new I'd likely go with the Echo Ion as IMO it's the best disc drag fly reel for the money. If anyone has a used Echo Ion in an 8wt that is in fair condition I'd be interested.

Also if anyone has line for sale that would match up with this I'd be interested. On my lost reel I had the Rio Outbound WF8F/I 330gr. I found it fine for fishing slower runs...good for coho and pinks. Good for backcasting. I'd probably prefer a Rio Versitip setup in 8wt or 9wt or a Wolf Ambush s/h spey line (20 foot-ish head).

I found the Rio Outbound line with the 37 foot head a bit challenging to s/h spey cast. According to many guys on this site a line with a shorter head would s/h spey cast much better.

If someone has a good reel+line combo even better. If I don't get any hits after a month or so I'll just buy new, but would prefer to buy something lightly used.