Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best weight system for short floating salmon/steelhead?  (Read 12097 times)

fishtruck

Re: Best weight system for short floating salmon/steelhead?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 09:25:58 PM »

I find that using split shots will not create a wobble on my float when I drift. With pencil lead I've noticed that my float tend to lean a little with a slight wobble due to interaction of lead and current. It's just a cleaner presentation.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 09:31:44 PM »

I find the crappy wrap around foam dink floats wobble and bob around - I hate them! I use DNE foam floats in 20, 25, or 30g and I find they don't wobble at all with pencil lead. I've been trying clear drift floats this year and at times I was out fishing guys near me using foam floats so who knows it could have been the float...however TWICE I have a fish spit my hook and when my float hit the shore/rocks it cracked and had to be tossed >:(

jordanc

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 09:40:34 PM »

Anytime i've cracked clear drift floats and they are not broken into pieces I will put a little super glue on the cracks and they seal.

sugartooth

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 09:55:57 PM »

I use split shot when I am fishing roe or any small presentation in clear water but I like using pencil lead when using blades.

dave c

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 10:06:30 PM »

I also put a bead above the pencil lead as i noticed that the lead will damage my balsa floats.

HamidSeshadri

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 08:35:29 AM »

Google "split shot presentation," lots of good info. Here's one I found:

http://www.anglersinternational.com/split_shot_aticle.html

Great article...

i've always just been lazy and just put all my split shots just below my swivel... that way in the case that i snag bottom i'll only lose my leader and hook and not worry about losing the float.

jazzhead

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 08:56:39 AM »

nice article, thanks! now i know why my float was pointing in the wrong direction sometimes.  gonna try some of this. :)

fishman254

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 10:18:29 AM »

I'm toying with using the weights that have a swivel on both ends, in the 1/2 ounce to 5/8 ounce weights, depending on the weight of the lure/jig.

Unfortunately, the weight does not slide when playing a fish. But a non-sliding weight is probably better for casting?

I cringe at using split-shot as I hate to weaken my line like that.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:24:56 AM by fishman254 »

jazzhead

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 12:53:23 PM »

Run your mainline thru a piece of tubing above a bead. Wet tubing insert the pencil lean when you're fishing, pull off when you're hiking so I doesnt beat your rod. Plus you can also change up the lead's weight if need be fishing different tackle

I find this setup would have the pencil lead slipped down into the swivel after a few cast.  I use the tubing&pencil lead with a clip now instead and have several sizes on hand incase I need to change weight.  But will try split shot next though, seems to make sense with regards to presentation.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:30:09 PM by jazzhead »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 07:53:49 PM »

"I cringe at using split-shot as I hate to weaken my line like that."
I used to think this too. But it's NOT true and if pinched on correctly they wil not crimp/damage/weaken your line on bit. This is how I was shown to do it and the odd time I use split shot it works for me:

-Get a pair of pliers that is not flat like regular needle nose, but has an space/opening in the middle of the jaws (like a leatherman, etc).

-Take your split shot and align your line as close to the MIDDLE of the shot as possible, NOT all the way into the back of the opening (they will slide if you do this).

-Pinch the shot on lightly using your fingers or the tip of the pliers. Don't clamp down yet.

- Now...place the shot into the round opening part of your pliers and squeeze down around the entire shot to compress it with even pressure spread around the shot. If the line is in or near the middle and your squeeze the shot this way it will stay tight on your line, not crush the line, and not crush the shot flat either.

***If you just squeeze it on with the tips of your needle nose pliers it will likely slide around on your line. Same if the line is at the back of the gap...try to keep the line in the middle of the shot***

In the event my explaination sucks imagine trying to squeeze an orange with both hands cupped around the orange. That's how you want to squeeze your shot.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 10:34:04 PM »

I've switched to shot almost exclusively over the past few years.
Can I say my hookups have increased? Probably not noticeably.
Am I more confident though? Yep. Confidence is a major role in catching fish.
Damaging mainline with split shot is a non issue for me, (12lb maxima) it's good practice to freshen up the first 4-5 feet every couple of trips anyways as far as I'm cconcerned. Always did when I was using hollow core aswell.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2013, 06:35:53 PM »

I used to fish gear I crimped split shot onto 20lb mono so the shot wouldn't pinch into the line.
It ain't the roe bro'