Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best weight system for short floating salmon/steelhead?  (Read 12098 times)

swimmingwiththefishes

Best weight system for short floating salmon/steelhead?
« on: November 04, 2013, 10:49:25 AM »

I will probably get the usual personal preference stuff, but I'm curious to know some of the reasons people go with certain setups.

I've tried a few different ones, and can't say that I prefer one over the other, although I'm leaning towards a non-split shot setup as I find that these are finickier and don't like that they pinch the line.

I like the slip weights above the swivel using egg weights or pencil lead for smoothness of casting and simplicity but am always a bit concerned about these sometimes spooking fish.

MoeJKU

Re: Best weight system for short floating salmon/steelhead?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 11:36:38 AM »

Long story split shot for me. but sometimes i get lazy and chuck out pencil weight

mvelasco

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 12:03:20 PM »

line through pencil lead for me.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 12:11:04 PM »

Pencil lead sliding on the mainline but I use the thick 1/4" lead.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 12:24:08 PM »

I add a bead between the egg/bullet weight at the swivel. 

And I use steel or tungsten, not lead.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 02:36:24 PM »

I've experimented with all different types of lead rigging. 95% of the time I run a piece of 1/4 ich pencil lead on my mainline then a bead to act as a buffer between my knot and swivel. Same as Damien's picture only I don't use egg sinkers.

If I'm fishing a really "snaggy" spot I'll switch my set up so the lead can pull or pop off if it gets hung up. I rig this up with either a piece of mono tied to the TOP eye of the barrel swivel, then crimp the lead onto the line, or a small piece of rubber tubing onto the snap of a snap swivel.

The odd time I'll pull out the split shot. Normally when the water is super low/clear. Whether it's more stealthy or not, it gives me a bit more confidence under such conditions. I'll also dig out my clear floats and flourocarbon leader line too. Overall though I don't like split shot as I find after a while they start to slip on the line. Like I said I like fishing this way under such conditions, however I don't think it makes much of a difference really as a buddy of mine fishes foam floats, mono leader and pencil lead 100% of the time even when the water is gin clear and most of the time he has more dead fish on shore than I. However he has about 10 years more time on the river than I do so I can handle it. The odd time I out fish him it makes my day and really burns his a** :D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:51:43 PM by Spawn Sack »

steely02

• Quinn
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 05:22:35 PM »

Split shot for me

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 05:40:39 PM »

Split Shot

zap brannigan

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 05:59:39 PM »

spit shot for me aswell, gives you the option of adding/subtracting weight when ever you want.

jpar247

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 06:53:32 PM »

Run your mainline thru a piece of tubing above a bead. Wet tubing insert the pencil lean when you're fishing, pull off when you're hiking so I doesnt beat your rod. Plus you can also change up the lead's weight if need be fishing different tackle

dave c

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 06:57:50 PM »

Pencil lead sliding on the mainline but I use the thick 1/4" lead.
x2

FishingKing

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 07:06:16 PM »

spit shot for me aswell, gives you the option of adding/subtracting weight when ever you want.

x2

Suther

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 08:03:29 PM »

I've experimented with all different types of lead rigging. 95% of the time I run a piece of 1/4 ich pencil lead on my mainline then a bead to act as a buffer between my knot and swivel. Same as Damien's picture only I don't use egg sinkers.

If I'm fishing a really "snaggy" spot I'll switch my set up so the lead can pull or pop off if it gets hung up. I rig this up with either a piece of mono tied to the TOP eye of the barrel swivel, then crimp the lead onto the line, or a small piece of rubber tubing onto the snap of a snap swivel.

The odd time I'll pull out the split shot. Normally when the water is super low/clear. Whether it's more stealthy or not, it gives me a bit more confidence under such conditions. I'll also dig out my clear floats and flourocarbon leader line too. Overall though I don't like split shot as I find after a while they start to slip on the line. Like I said I like fishing this way under such conditions, however I don't think it makes much of a difference really as a buddy of mine fishes foam floats, mono leader and pencil lead 100% of the time even when the water is gin clear and most of the time he has more dead fish on shore than I. However he has about 10 years more time on the river than I do so I can handle it. The odd time I out fish him it makes my day and really burns his a** :D

When you do pull out the split shot, are you still running shot above a swivel then a leader? Or ditch the swivel and tie your main line right to the leader?

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 08:33:23 PM »

I'll pull it out the odd time when the water is super low/clear and I'm going for picky coho. Does it give me an edge? Probably not, but I like it and it gives me a bit more confidence as I think I'm a bit more "stealthy." (as opposed to a solid piece of pencil lead...which they've likely seen 1000 times by now).

Split shot above swivel just like pencil lead only spaced out 1 inch or so apart. HOWEVER I've heard of guys putting ONE of the shot below the swivel on the leader. Rationale is if a shot is going to get snagged it'll likely be the bottom one, then you will just lose your bottom shot and leader instead of all shot and leader. I just put all above the swivel as if I'm fishing this way I'm short floating anyway and very unlikely to get snagged.

Google "split shot presentation," lots of good info. Here's one I found:

http://www.anglersinternational.com/split_shot_aticle.html

PS. Do NOT ditch your swivel. You need it to prevent line twist. The only time I'll ditch the swivel is if I'm fishing spoons or something that has a swivel attached to the lure.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 09:07:53 PM by Spawn Sack »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 08:44:44 PM »

Another vote for split shots.