Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, November 3, 2013  (Read 3420 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, November 3, 2013
« on: November 03, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »

What a great day on the lower river.
The weather couldn't be better; the water was perfect; the crowds were thin; the fish were more than willing.
The group I was fishing with was great - all good rods - zero beeks! ;D

Balance of the day: seven coho to the beach (ALL wild), and a silver chum that donated her roe for caviar and her flesh for the smoker.
Played many more chum and lost a few more coho. Although I fished mostly gear and roe, I managed a couple of coho on the fly, too. Can't believe it's November and the fishing is still so good on the lower river.

spoiler

Re: Chilliwack River, November 3, 2013
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »

shhhhhhhhhhhhh!

dave c

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 08:51:57 PM »

I usually have weekdays off and find you see more good rods mid week and the occasional weekend i go fishing is when u see the flossers, snaggers, beeks.  Really enjoyable when the fish co-operate and its just you and a few good rods. Tks for the report, heading out Tues Wed.  hoping for the same type of day.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 09:42:43 AM »

It was great fishing on lower Vedder we had Milo. It is amazing the quantity of coho this year. And a fresh chum as well to make a fun break for cohos not being active. Lot of fish but mainly wild ones for us. Saturday was a struggling in pouring rain, but Sunday was pleasant and full of fish to be caught.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:42:49 PM by Tadpole »

mvelasco

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 10:29:22 AM »

thanks for the report Milo! Super stoked to get out tomorrow and wednesdaym may give the lower a shot and work my way up!

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 02:39:06 PM »

Sunday was a struggling in pouring rain, but Saturday was pleasant and full of fish to be caught.
Did you mix up your Saturday and Sunday?  The rainstorm was on Saturday.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 02:44:35 PM »

Yes, I am sure he mixed the days up in typing. Tadpole and I fished together yesterday (Sunday), and the weather was splendid.

Mvelasco and Dave C, all I can say is go get them...I hope you have better luck with hatchery fish than I did.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 02:45:49 PM »

Yeah... I did, but corrected it thanks to you :). It was amazing to see most people fished on lower river with roe or metal, and upper section was nothing but flossers with their plucking cohos in a small pocket water. Disgrace if you ask me.

dave c

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 06:43:38 PM »

. It is amazing the quantity of coho this year.
Yes and quality. So far this year have bonked 6 hatch on three outings all between 7 - 10 lbs.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 08:22:15 PM »

Yes and quality. So far this year have bonked 6 hatch on three outings all between 7 - 10 lbs.

It has been the opposite for me, as I have been fishing smaller streams on the north side.  I have had a great time catching more coho in the last month than I did all last year on the fly, but only one so far was a hatchery.  They must have more volunteers for clipping on the Chilliwack than on my river.  Nice thing is, it hopefully means more to the spawning grounds.
Not all those who wander are lost

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 08:34:25 PM »

It has been the opposite for me, as I have been fishing smaller streams on the north side.  I have had a great time catching more coho in the last month than I did all last year on the fly, but only one so far was a hatchery.  They must have more volunteers for clipping on the Chilliwack than on my river.  Nice thing is, it hopefully means more to the spawning grounds.

All the fin clipping done at the federal operated hatcheries (Chilliwack, Chehalis, Inch Creek, Capilano) are done by staff, not volunteers, and all the fish are always clipped prior to release.

All of my fish caught from the Fraser River, including a very fresh one today in Steveston, have all been wild. That's not unusual, since in the Fraser I am targeting fish heading to many systems which do not have hatchery planted populations.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 08:40:39 PM »

I am in the same boat. Caught lots on the north side and not even one hatchery fish. Doesn't bother me though as I pretty much only smoke my fish.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »

I am in the same boat. Caught lots on the north side and not even one hatchery fish. Doesn't bother me though as I pretty much only smoke my fish.

Yeah, I don't mind either as I usually release all my coho so that others may catch them (although I did keep that one hatch as I had only had pinks so far to eat this year as I had to release all those Sockeye I was catching on the Harrison earlier).
Not all those who wander are lost

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 09:29:06 PM »

Caught a nice Chehailis hatch on the south side yesterday , seen a couple risers heading to some other non hatchery system so I let them go by . Once the Chehailis bound  coho came threw, the ones I target , I tossed the spoons to no avail so off I went home to BBQ my coho and guzzle a nice bottle of wine . ;)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 09:47:57 PM »

Caught a nice Chehailis hatch on the south side yesterday...

I'm confused with what you posted, on the south side?
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.