Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bucks down in Region 3 and 8.  (Read 7101 times)

Humpy

Bucks down in Region 3 and 8.
« on: November 03, 2013, 11:32:17 AM »

We just got back from our 3-12 Mule Doe LEH hunt, it was a very exiting hunt for the kids and myself. My son had many opportunities to shoot his mule doe but they either didn't give him enough time, or he didn't have a clear shot. I then decided to check out Region 8 for youth season for any mule buck. We just turned around the corner and there stood this nice 2x3, my son made a perfect lung shot with his 270, and the deer didn't go 5 yards. Once we finished gutting it and packing it away, we set up camp for the night. The next day we decided to head back to region 3-12 to try for a mule doe again. My son had 3 more chances but again my son couldn't connect. Then we moved on and we saw a whitetail buck and doe standing about 70 yards out. My son got out and shot the 4x4 whitetail buck. It was our first whitetail. It was great trip, there was quite a bit of snow on Highway 5. I would suggest sticking to lower elevations for hunting as that was where the deer were and there was lots of snow up top. Snow tires and chains would be a good idea if you want to head out. We also took two grouse.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Re: Bucks down in Region 3 and 8.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 09:39:40 PM »

Nice job!!  I guess you can still go back for the doe because you've still got the rest of the month in Region 3.  Was there much snow on the ground at the Sunset Main exit or did you take the Elkhart or Loon L. exit?

Humpy

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 07:47:33 AM »

We have enough meat in the freezer so we probably will not go back and there is some snow on the highway and we are going to try and avoid that.

kid fisherman

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 05:57:37 PM »

Nice going, congrats on the hunt!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 11:04:22 PM »

Nicely done by your son, nothing better than being out hunting with ones family. I am still blanked after my one chance when a doe got in the way preventing my shotat a 2 point. May have to live on fish, ducks, geese and grouse until next year.

Humpy

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 09:36:57 AM »

If you planning another hunt, I can point you in the direction where my son got these two.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 07:23:41 PM »

If you planning another hunt, I can point you in the direction where my son got these two.
Thanks very much but I think I am done for this year as usually donot hunt when the rut is on. Time for ducks and geese now. ;D