Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: salmon river fishing classes help  (Read 4557 times)

newb33

salmon river fishing classes help
« on: October 31, 2013, 10:55:19 AM »

quite new to fishing, been out 8 times this year between the cap and vedder and absolutly nothing but everyone around me is catching stuff. im not looking for a hidden spot to fish im looking to see if anyone knows of any rookie fishing courses, i seen first light tackle had some back in september but cant seem to find anymore

bunnta

Re: salmon river fishing classes help
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 12:21:08 PM »

Next time your out there, ask people how they are getting the fish. I am not sure anymore courses exist for salmon this year but I can be wrong. I know steehead courses will be coming up soon.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 12:29:13 PM »

Even though First Light does not have any current classes being offered, I would give the store a call anyway and see if Steven has time available to show you the techniques. You can also drop by the store and ask him, he's always keen to help. He's not at the store on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Pacific Angler in Vancouver, Sea-Run in Coquitlam also have courses available. throughout the year.

Asking people for advices on the river can be hit and miss. Some experienced anglers who legitimately catch salmon  are always happy to help, while others prefer to guard their secret. You may also end up asking someone who is in fact hauling fish in by using unethical/illegal methods especially if you are already unaware of what is correct or incorrect.

MoeJKU

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 12:34:58 PM »

I have heard good things about the sea run courses. Never been to one, but i have seen the improvements it gave my friend.

HamidSeshadri

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 02:30:37 PM »

Even though First Light does not have any current classes being offered, I would give the store a call anyway and see if Steven has time available to show you the techniques. You can also drop by the store and ask him, he's always keen to help. He's not at the store on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

x2 for Steven. that guy is the best. when i called him up it ended up that i was the only student registered for the class, and he still went through with it and taught me. a week later i was into my fist chinook. and every time i've dropped by the store or messaged him for advice he's been more than helpful and gracious in helping.

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 04:33:44 PM »

If you can tie your own knots, then there is no reason to take a fishing class.  Watch youtube videos, read all Rodney's posts about reading water, rigging up a proper salmon setup, releasing fish properly, how to ID fish, etc.  That's all you need to get started.  And don't follow what most other people are doing on the river.  IMO, most guys out there are flosser/snaggers, and they are no example to learn from.

Perseverance is everything when it comes to learning to fish.  I can't count the number of trips where I spent the whole day driving around, losing all my gear, breaking rods, catching nothing, and just having a terrible time.  It takes a few years to learn what you are doing on the river, if you can't handle that, then you should take up knitting..

Tight lines..

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 04:59:22 PM »

Taking a course in anything is usually beneficial but when it comes to fishing can shorten the learning curve by years.
Take the course if you think it may benefit you.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 05:31:23 PM »

Taking a course in anything is usually beneficial but when it comes to fishing can shorten the learning curve by years.

X2 Can definitely shorten your learning curve. Can also save you alot of dollars on what not to buy

gator

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 05:42:40 PM »

Pacific Angler in Vancouver has the best selection of classes around. I have done 2 and would recommend them.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 07:27:22 PM »

Perseverance is everything when it comes to learning to fish.  I can't count the number of trips where I spent the whole day driving around, losing all my gear, breaking rods, catching nothing, and just having a terrible time.

Um, I do this all the time...  dang

Animal Chin

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 08:41:02 PM »

Um, I do this all the time...  dang

..haha..me too. I'm trying to be more buddhist like and not take it as a deep personal failure when others are slaying fish and I'm getting nary a sniff. "damn, it's got to be the roe, did I screw up the cure again".

Rachid

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 09:27:58 PM »

First time I went fishing on vedder river was fall 2010 , I had nothing but confusion , the question was how these guys got plenty of fish except me, was terribly weird and strange , thought maybe it s a question of luck, but I realized it wasn't, it must be something new for me that I need to digest and learn, I used to fish in the ocean back home since my childhood , I get to develop I hell of methods and techniques out there , but non of them helped me during my first season in vedder river , first thing I did is to change my gear, proper gear with good experience are deffinetely fruitful , they other things that helped me well according to my ocean fishing skills is about tricking the fish to bite, that is the starting point and the precious idea behind sports fishing , snagging fish doesn't help to become a satisfied ungler, and of course you Ganna look like an idiot out there, other thing is suspended presentation, my only recomandation about fishing is you need to be smart enough on how to addapt to any situation out there on the river,

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 09:47:04 PM »

Pacific Angler in Vancouver has the best selection of classes around. I have done 2 and would recommend them.

You cannot go wrong with a course at Pacific.  It will definitely speed up your learning curve.

If you take the Steelhead float fishing course you will learn all the techniques you need to catch salmon as well and they take you to the Vedder river for a whole day so you get hands on training.  Jason and Dmitri are excellent instructors.

After you learn the technique of short floating, the only variables will be species specific baits/lures (roe, eggs, wools, shrimp, colorado's) and then figuring out when and where to fish.  Courses will not help with the last two.  You have to put in time on the river, don't be shy to say you are a novice and are looking for advice on the best times, baits presentations etc.  Most will help you out.  Then you just have to get to know the river.  I have only fished the Vedder for a year and am just starting to figure out things on a few small sections.

I also have tried the cap, but this is a very difficult river to fish and learn.  water levels are often very low and clear, which makes it very trick to catch stale and spooky fish (unless you just want to trawl the pools at the top, which I would not recommend).

With the recent low and clear water are you fishing with smaller presentations, 8 lb leader (or preferable 12-15lb fluro), longer leaders (16-24 inches) and fish the first 2 hours after sun up and the last 2 hours before sundown, particularly if you are after Coho?  Chum are now moving into the Vedder and are less leader shy and you may have more luck with them, but be prepared to have your arms pulled off and don't fish to light otherwise they will bust you up.

Keep at it, it will come, don't get discouraged.  I strongly recommend the course, it will help.  Good luck.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 11:19:23 PM »

Agreed, it can help you avoid many trips where you spend the whole day driving around, losing all your gear, breaking rods, catching nothing, and just having a terrible time.  It can take a few years off learning what you are doing on the river... that is, if you don't have the desire to take up knitting...
Not all those who wander are lost