Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with roe?  (Read 7642 times)

mojo7

What to do with roe?
« on: October 26, 2013, 07:51:46 AM »

I don't like using roe, too stinky/messy.  When I catch females I will clean them and leave the roe on the rocks for the guys that like to cure their own roe. The other day I caught a couple of coho and left the roe on the rocks and a little while later a guy came buy and asked how the fishing was and I showed him my catch and he noticed the roe and asked where it came from. I told him I left it there for roe chuckers. He said it is illegal to have roe without a fish and if you get caught you'll get a fine. I didn't know that as I don't fish roe. Is this true and should I just chuck the roe in the river? I don't want to be leaving an illegal mess on the river.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:53:19 AM by mojo7 »

brownmancheng

Re: What to do with roe?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 07:55:24 AM »

Give it to me ;D ;D I will take all you catch!! Lol

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 07:55:50 AM »

If you travel by Surrey to and from the river I'll gladly take it and could meet you to get it from you.  :P
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

brownmancheng

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 08:06:53 AM »

If you travel by Surrey to and from the river I'll gladly take it and could meet you to get it from you.  :P

Sorry you are 35 seconds too late JC 8) :P

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 08:26:28 AM »

I told him I left it there for roe chuckers. He said it is illegal to have roe without a fish and if you get caught you'll get a fine. I didn't know that as I don't fish roe. Is this true and should I just chuck the roe in the river? I don't want to be leaving an illegal mess on the river.
That's true - one is required to have the fish the fresh roe came from. Don't worry about the mess though sea gulls and other scavengers love it. Better on the bank than in the river
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 08:29:40 AM »

Yes, that law is there to prevent people from killing the fish and just taking roe!  I think if you just leave your roe on the rocks, somebody or a bird will take it anyways so it won't go to waste.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 09:09:04 AM »

He said it is illegal to have roe without a fish and if you get caught you'll get a fine. I didn't know that as I don't fish roe.

one is required to have the fish the fresh roe came from.

That's not quite true. Only if the quantity of roe is in excess of 1 Kg, do you need to have the fish it came from. A couple coho will be much less than 1 kilo

Don't worry about the mess though sea gulls and other scavengers love it. Better on the bank than in the river
No prob throwing it in the river IMHO. The dollies and whitefish will thank you :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:11:17 AM by DanL »

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 09:14:02 AM »

Only partly correct,if your going to spout regs then know the regs........Roe… you must not have more than 1 kg of
roe (fish eggs) in your possession for use
as bait unless the roe was obtained from a
commercial source that lawfully obtained
that roe, or you have in your possession
the freshly dressed fish from which the
roe in excess of 1 kg was taken. Carry a
receipt with you if you purchased roe from
a commercial source.................have not weighed skeins but I would hazard a guess that two would definately be under limit and that four average size ones would be kissing the mark.......
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 09:25:20 AM »

Only partly correct,if your going to spout regs then know the regs........

You are correct of course but since the OP was specifically referring to giving someone roe from a fresh caught fish, that's what being clarified.

have not weighed skeins but I would hazard a guess that two would definately be under limit and that four average size ones would be kissing the mark.......
Last week I weighed 4 skeins to be about 560 grams and a couple days later 4 different skeins at 620 grams.

fishbandit66

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 08:53:12 AM »

You could use it to make caviar. I don't fish with roe I think it's unethical. But I eat caviar at any opportunity I get! Make sure you freeze it first for food safety reasons.

Float-down

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 09:39:08 AM »

You could use it to make caviar. I don't fish with roe I think it's unethical. But I eat caviar at any opportunity I get! Make sure you freeze it first for food safety reasons.

What is unethical about fishing roe?

fishbandit66

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 10:16:12 AM »

It's banned in most countries in Europe. Nuff said.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »

It's banned in most countries in Europe. Nuff said.

Sticking a sharp metal object in the fish and have it struggle for it's life is unethical but I don't see fishing banned.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 01:15:39 PM »

Yeah, I would be interested to hear your explanation as well...

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 01:19:24 PM »

The 1 kg rule is used as an enforcement tool to prosecute roe poachers / people who slit fish for the roe like others have said in the thread. I have never seen/heard of fisheries or conservation officers giving out fines for this offence. From their perspective, I'm sure they're happy to see people make use of the roe.

For lack of a better example...  jaywalking... if you do it in front of a cop in a calm traffic area, no big. But if you do it in on a highway, you'll probably get a ticket.