Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Please becareful out on the river.  (Read 7752 times)

bunnta

Please becareful out on the river.
« on: October 21, 2013, 12:25:58 PM »

I know we are getting the left over pink fishermen but please be aware and think about your own life. Yesterday on the vedder canal I witness a total green horn fisherman who happened to not understand english almost drown. He was very fortunate that a fishermen on the otherside reached out his rod for him to hold on his dear life. He was literally seconds away from not making it because his head went under. He did not heed the fishermen who were warning him that he was walking too deep to try and free his snag up. 5$ spoon or spinners is not worth your life, neither are fish. Thank you to the noble fisherman who saved him.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 03:42:59 PM by bunnta »

Suther

Re: Please becareful out on the river.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 12:31:07 PM »

I know we are getting the left over pink fishermen but please be aware and think about your own life. Yesterday on the vedder canal I witness a total green horn fisherman who happened to not understand english almost drown. He was very fortunate that a fishermen on the otherside reached out his rod for him to hold on his dear life. He was literally seconds away from not making it because his head went under. He did not heed the fishermen who were warning him that he was walking too deep to try and free his snag up. 5$ spoon or spinners is not worth your life, neither are fish. Thank you to the noble fisherman who saved him. Yes, group of chinese fisher who did not respect other people on the river and not fishing properly.

If a lure is that important, strip down and go for a swim. Some days I feel like you should need a special license to buy waders

zap brannigan

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 12:53:44 PM »

Natural selection.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 01:04:49 PM »

"Yes, group of chinese fisher who did not respect other people on the river and not fishing properly.   "

I applaud your writing to warn others with danger of what this silly guy did. But why take a shot to the Chinese fishermen as a whole with the last comment? What has that to do with a silly and ignorant guy risking his life for a lure? You took a shot at Chinese fishermen without even mentioning anything they did and seemed to imply all Chinese fishermen do that. That doesn't reflect too well with other Chinese fishermen and many of them are very skilled as well as ethical fishermen.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 01:23:22 PM »

"Yes, group of chinese fisher who did not respect other people on the river and not fishing properly.   "

I applaud your writing to warn others with danger of what this silly guy did. But why take a shot to the Chinese fishermen as a whole with the last comment? What has that to do with a silly and ignorant guy risking his life for a lure? You took a shot at Chinese fishermen without even mentioning anything they did and seemed to imply all Chinese fishermen do that. That doesn't reflect too well with other Chinese fishermen and many of them are very skilled as well as ethical fishermen.

I agree with liketofish. Prejudice is not cool and they almost resulted in deaths in Ontario from it.

http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/fishing-without-fear-report-inquiry-assaults-asian-canadian-anglers/3-racism-and-racial-profiling
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 01:25:15 PM by Long_Cast »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 01:57:02 PM »

http://www.dawn.com/news/637813/asians-bear-brunt-of-fishing-deaths-in-australia

You can't be careful enough when wadding. I almost bit it once, wear a inflatable lifejacket now when it looks dicey.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

bunnta

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 02:13:04 PM »

Delete
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 03:43:41 PM by bunnta »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 03:23:30 PM »

Bunnta - I am going to assume that you may also be an immigrant by how badly your written English and grammar are. It reads as though you were speaking to us in person in broken english. It looks badly when people call out other races here or anywhere else. I would assume there is a chance it may have been done to you at some point in your earlier fishing years as well, which is wrong.

I will personally call out individual people/persons but not because of their race but because of their actions. If I was ever to refer to them on a public forum such as this race would never cross my mind to add into it. There is just no need for it  ::)

When you post in public places you need to be tolerant to everyone whether it be their race, age, sex..........etc.

have a good one
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 03:25:01 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 03:27:04 PM »

Geesh, first it's Chinese, this and then that, than those people, now it's any new immigrants.  So B.C. born people are perfect law abiding citizens according to your arguments.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 03:36:54 PM »

Geesh, first it's Chinese, this and then that, than those people, now it's any new immigrants.  So B.C. born people are perfect law abiding citizens according to your arguments.

I hope your not referring to me with this statement. I never once said anyone was perfect now did I ?

I am trying to get it across that you need to think before you speak, especially on public forums. I have known several people over the years that have flamed someone here or another site only to have major issues out on the river because they were unaware the person/people knew who they were.

Were we not all taught "think before you speak" by our parents ?

Check out our new blog

bunnta

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 03:42:32 PM »

Noted hook. Let just get the topic back on point. Hope rodney delete unnecessary stuff. I will remove the last part.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 03:55:32 PM »

I hope your not referring to me with this statement. I never once said anyone was perfect now did I ?

I am trying to get it across that you need to think before you speak, especially on public forums. I have known several people over the years that have flamed someone here or another site only to have major issues out on the river because they were unaware the person/people knew who they were.

I wasn't referring to your comments Hook.  I know that there is bad behavior by all races but singling out 1 race and then calling out all immigrants is just dumb and racist.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 04:01:28 PM »

true enough.

in regards to river drownings I have been on both sides of the coin. I have witnessed one guy jump off the KW bridge but trip as he went to jump and landed flat on the water knocking himself unconscious, he was lucky there was about 20 people fishing in shorts that ALL jumped in to help him. the very last guy just happened to bump into him underwater and saved his life. He was on the phone 5 mins later telling a friend and laughing about it, what a moron !!

I was also at Lickman the day the older gentleman fell in near Peach road and was pulled out there at Lickman. That was my very first taste of a drowning on the Vedder. extremely terrifying !

the other two were both my own. one was me jumping into water deeper than I thought to try chasing a hot Red Spring on opening day. I went over my head twice before hitting solid ground.

second one found me waist deep in heavy current trying to traverse my way under a log that lay across the entire run we were fishing. it was Feb 2nd and I have a very large steelhead on. As I was going under the log my main line blew up sending me crashing into the frigid water over my head and quickly downstream. Had my dad not been there with me to help grab me as I jostled my way toward shallower water I probably would not be here. I did however know how to deal with the situation and knew to go feet first and keep my head above water, I did not however toss my rod to give me to free hands but instead relied on using my feet to kick against rocks sort of jumping myself to shore rather than back swimming.

Every single one of these events were different for a multitude of reasons. I know lots of other guys that have gone in doing even dumber things and even some of the simplest things. watched a guy jump in after a fish that slipped from his hands in the Fraser, crazy ! 

I now will not wade past my waist in medium current and nothing over my knees in heavier current unless there is 2 or more of us to lock together. I have learned a few lessons the hard way and I can guarantee my lessons are not over

We all need to be aware the river is unforgiving and will grasp your life from you given the chance. be smart out there and learn what to do if you do find yourself in over your head or going downstream.

If you can then wear a PFD at all times or at the least in areas you know could get out of hand fast. A vest that auto inflates is best because even if you smash your head on the fall it will still inflate

keep yourselves safe out there
Check out our new blog

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 04:10:05 PM »

normal i wont touch this topic with a ten foot pole but i think he was just calling it as he saw it. would it be any different if it was a group of any other race? no it wouldn't. their is people who do stupid cupcakes no matter what race. easy on the racist card.

Jeff_

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 04:21:09 PM »

I think it's also a good time to remind everyone to keep your wading belt on tight, it may not prevent your waders from completely filling up but it will definitely slow the rate water comes in if you take a swim. Stay safe out there everyone, a fish or lure is never worth risking your life.