Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harrison  (Read 1621 times)

chromeo

Harrison
« on: October 20, 2013, 11:49:08 AM »

Is it me or is this fishing on the harrison getting out of hand?  Between Thanksgiving weekend and this past weekend i can't believe the amounts of boats out there.  You can't anchor in peace without 20' jet boats making wake by yours all day long.  Years ago you would see only guide boats and a few other fisherman like myself now you can't even get a spot.  Then the native openings they have on weekends seining out the river just below the harrison and you got a perfect recipe for a bad fish catching day.  It's a battle out there you better believe it. 

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Harrison
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 12:30:55 PM »

Is it me or is this fishing on the harrison getting out of hand?  Between Thanksgiving weekend and this past weekend i can't believe the amounts of boats out there.  You can't anchor in peace without 20' jet boats making wake by yours all day long.  Years ago you would see only guide boats and a few other fisherman like myself now you can't even get a spot.  Then the native openings they have on weekends seining out the river just below the harrison and you got a perfect recipe for a bad fish catching day.  It's a battle out there you better believe it.

Where abouts are you fishing?  I have been up a few times this year, but have not been up for the fall run.  In the past couple of years the upper stretch from Morris creek down to the Wilson Point has always been busy with the bars around Raake point being the busiest. I often fish the slower slack water pools in behind all those boats.  The area just above the highway bridge ("the flats") is not usually as busy, but can have good coho fishing.  If you have a sounder, look for the dips in the river bottom and anchor above one and cast a fly or spoon down into them.  There are often a few coho holding in them.
Not all those who wander are lost

chromeo

Re: Harrison
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 01:56:37 PM »

Thanks for your input Sandman, I've been fishing all over.  I can find a spot to fish by myself but then you get boats eyeballin you when they drive by and set up just above or below you.  Not to mention the wake caused by all these boats it's getting real bad.  My goal is to try and get out on more weekdays but with work it's hard to do when you got a full time job during the week.  I am also gonna start looking for more out of the way spots as you suggested it's so hard when your time is limited and you want to get out to your more spots that seem to be more well known.