Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Red hooks vs Silver  (Read 3777 times)

salmonrook

Red hooks vs Silver
« on: October 17, 2013, 11:22:25 PM »

Been buying a few crocs for the fall fishing season and i always wonder why some of them have red hooks and some have silver.I dont really like the red hooks as I fish alot of still clear water.The red hooks seem to stand out more.
 I guess i could change them out.
Any thoughts?

zap brannigan

Re: Red hooks vs Silver
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 12:06:02 AM »

they add colour to the lure, their attacking the lure out of sheer aggression or curiousity anyhow so dont think hooks make a big difference be it size or colour.

Outdoorsman

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 10:41:25 AM »

Not a huuuuge difference. Again it's all dependent on the lure really. I was out this week right after work with the spin cast, just to kill some time and was landing on silver and red. Just get out there and try both, you will find what you prefer more!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 04:16:19 PM »

fish can see the difference. I think the theory is the red hook may be seen as a blood trail behind an injured fish, lures are fish imitations in a sense. up in the Yukon and Alaska they will fly fish with bare red hooks for sockeye. cant get a fly any more sparse  :o

other examples while all fly fishing related can be very tiny colour variations, or what have you

Every wonder why you can see the same pattern with several different bead colours ?
chironomids with/without a red butt tied in ? different coloured thread by the bead to act as the thorax ?

tiniest changes can make huge differences at times. there is thousands of examples when it comes to flies. probably just as many with lures if you can paint them, lure tape, different steel shades........
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Suther

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 06:02:02 PM »

up in the Yukon and Alaska they will fly fish with bare red hooks for sockeye. cant get a fly any more sparse  :o

Isn't that just flossing, considering sockeye don't typically bite once they hit the rivers?

salmonrook

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 07:10:41 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts.
I flyfish for trout ,so i do understand how a grey fly will not work,but switch to a green one and instantly you get a bite,you are 'matching the hatch' Didnt think it would make much difference with spoons as far as the hook colour goes seems (and i will sound like a flyfishing elitist here)that salmon are primal as far as striking either bait or spoons out of aggression.i guess i am wondering the manufacturer's intentions with either.
I myself would prefer a dark coloured hook because in clear water it becomes invisible.I guess I will have to search for these particular spoons.

zap brannigan

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 07:51:54 AM »

Isn't that just flossing, considering sockeye don't typically bite once they hit the rivers?

The 20 or so socks I caught on prawns this summer says they do bite, but yes the siwash 'fly' is flossing.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 08:46:13 AM »

--Kokanee bite in rivers... (note kokanee fishing closed in all BC rivers).. We caught about 1k of them in Okanagan river under a collection permit. The river is low and clear enough to see them chase and purposely bite the various lures and fly's presented. One of the most effective was a sparcely dressed shrimp pattern.

--Sockeye caught in Osooyos trolling not snagged.

--It is a myth that these fish do not bite...they do not need to be snagged...people just choose to snag.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 01:58:18 PM »

I have also witnessed sockeye chasing my wool to shore to strike it on the Vedder. Had them chase my fly and hit it right at friends feet on the Fraser many times. sockeye will bite out of aggression or whatever just like any other salmon does, they just tend to do it less frequently which is why people have resorted to flossing them instead.

I to participate in the meat sockeye fishery. once I beach my 2 sockeye I pack up, clean my fish and leave. If im fishing with friends we will all keep fishing until we get the limit for our group then leave. Im not out there to keep puncturing sockeye hoping for my spring like I see most do. Im there for my sockeye and then I am out of there, most days im there for less than 10 casts

I have found the last 2 years it was open I didn't need to bounce to get my limit. I instead fished with my spey rod and again was limited out pretty quickly  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 06:23:25 PM »

I think the red gamikatsu octopus hooks have a sharper point than the silver gamakatsu octopus hooks, and I also think the red gami's are thinner in diameter as well - more like a needle than a nail.  So I personally prefer the red hooks.  And yes I do think they might look like a trail of blood too which can't hurt.  And I've read that they hook sockeye in Alaska on bare red hooks (not flossing either) - they actually attack a simple red hook.