Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tying wool  (Read 2149 times)

swimmingwiththefishes

Tying wool
« on: October 16, 2013, 08:18:41 PM »

Hey everyone,

I've been tying wool onto hooks and above on the line, when I don't have the option of putting it in the egg loop.

I just do an overhand rather clumsily, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't so I start all over, any methods techniques or knots that would help in this.

cheers.

Fillibert

Re: Tying wool
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 10:13:03 PM »

spider thread

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 11:12:21 PM »

If you are using the baitloop for something else (chunk of roe, or prawn, etc) then it is ok to tie a piece of wool above the hook eye and have it drape over the bait/hook. My technique for doiing this is to pull a thin strand of wool of the main piece of wool, about 1/8 the thickness of the wool, and cut off a piece 3 inches or so. So now you have a thin piece of wool in your hand. Now I tie it to the line using an overhand knot. Nothing fancy. Now slide the wook down the line above your bait. Fluff the wool out and break it apart and trim it so it doesnèt go past the bend of the hook.

Sometimes I do this with white wool over a chunk or roe, or roe sack, or single plastic egg. You can even tie 2 or 3 pieces of wool to the line and slide them all down for an interesting look.

If Im not using the bait loop I normally just put the wool in the bait loop. A lot quicker. Try out color combos of wool in your bait loop too like. I always trim my bait loop wool ball to a nice round small egg shape. Experiment with different colors, see what other anglers are using and ask questions, before you know it youll be a pro at catching fish on just wool!

MoeJKU

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 08:44:15 AM »

Just use a baitloop its the easiest way. Pre tie bunch one a leader board while your at home. Then have a little container with different pre cut colors of wool then its easy to switch and easy to change leader if you break one off. MAybe have a couple single eggs, or prawns to tip it with.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 06:34:26 PM »

Just tie it on the bait loop with an overhand knot.Gives you something to grab to open it up when you re-bait....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

brysonk

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 08:17:02 PM »

Just tie it on the bait loop with an overhand knot.Gives you something to grab to open it up when you re-bait....
Genius