Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Targetting the female (smaller) angler  (Read 7107 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Targetting the female (smaller) angler
« on: June 06, 2004, 09:35:04 PM »

Why don't fishing shops cater to the smaller or the female angler?  I've tried to find stuff for Mrs DragonSpeed, and been stumped a couple of times.  Seems like all clothing comes in L->XXXXXL  :(  She's an "S"  Most recently I was looking at neoprene gloves (Rhino) at a store, and all they had were L-> in the "fingered" version and M-> in the fingerless version.  No gloves for her == no gloves for me. :(

I realise it isn't a HUGE market, but it's just going to STAY small if retailers don't realise that a lot of the spending money is held by the XX chromosonal ones these days.    Plus it's much easier to justify a purchase for yourself, if you're getting the same thing for your wife.

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
Re:Targetting the female (smaller) angler
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 09:41:46 PM »

I got my gloves in WallMart (medium), and I think they had few small ones as well. I do agree that there is no enough sizes available, but it is possible they get sold out quickly.
I found small waders in Army and Navy in Langley.

You just have to shop around.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 09:49:14 PM »

walmart is a good place to try i also got my wifes neopremes there. if not try army and navy i have found stuff for my mrs there also

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 10:49:09 PM »

Law of Supply and Demand. More male than female anglers

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 12:03:51 AM »

The XX only holds that money if she's also holding what makes you XY!   ;D

There are also affluent SINGLE XX's out there.  (Not that I've run into many since becoming XX+XY :D)

little fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 12:51:44 AM »

Orvis has a fairly good line of female fishing clothing ie waders and so does Simms. You might want to check it out online "eBay". I just got my wife a pair of Simms gortex for women $120cdn on ebay.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 07:48:25 AM »

the reason for the lact of small or women's sizes, is the market is just too small. Most people will not purchase quality for growing kids and there are just too few small sized women out fishing. Stores would have nothing but dead inventory if they carried ladies sizing. You should check through manufacturer's catalogues and then get stores to bring in the product in the right size for the individual in question or order on-line.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 08:06:54 AM »

A decent tackle shop will bring the stuff in for you.  The economics don't justify inventory of stuff that doesn't turn.  I've had good success with Babcock's over the years getting stuff for my wife and she's 120lbs. soaking wet.  If they don't have it, they will bring it in for me.  If your tackle shop won't help you then you should find another one with better service.  These old world guys need to wakeup and realize that women have money too.

The Fly

• Renato Muccillo Fine Arts Studio
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 08:56:08 AM »

Morning ,
you may want to also try Ruddick's Fly shop 604 985 5650 . Talk to Kathy, I think she gets alot more of the female clientele. She hosts female specific courses also..or aleast she use to .. I hope this helps.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 07:28:49 PM »

Geo at Michael & Youngs can probably help you. My wife and I ran into that problem 10 years ago when I bought her first pair of waders. At that time no one made Noe's for the ladies or kids for that matter. Every shop was telling use we were going have to custom, with prices from $500. to $1400. Then we talked to Geo and he told us we could get a set of Sea-Tux made fro $300. with a warrenty. Sold!
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

ocean_going

• fish on
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 08:26:35 PM »

sounds like   a drag,   let her use your, kiddie waders.....   jus kidding.!!! I have np with   the wife   she is full size   wouldnt   even jump into neoprenes   just   uses leg waders