Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2499 SP BL vs regular 3XL streamer hooks  (Read 5255 times)

bigsnag

• Old Timer
2499 SP BL vs regular 3XL streamer hooks
« on: October 12, 2013, 11:36:03 PM »

What are the advantages of using the 2499 tiemcos over the regular 3XL for christmas tree flies? I have always used a size 8 5263. Thanks.
It ain't the roe bro'

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: 2499 SP BL vs regular 3XL streamer hooks
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 09:34:27 AM »

that's a shorter shank hook suited to egg flies or scud patterns. It's not really a streamer hook such as the 5263.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 11:00:05 AM »

thanks Ralphie, I ask because I see more and more people using them
It ain't the roe bro'

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 09:28:56 PM »

short shanks are better for xmas trees because of the design of the fly. longer shank will cause the krystal flash to "foul" around the hook more often during casting. short shank cuts this to almost non existent. 2499 SP (superpoint) BL (barbless) are my go to hook for this pattern. They are not a streamer hook but an egg/glo bug hook with a straight eye not upturned eye. straight eyed hooks are better for stripping patterns

tip - tie your xmas tress long (2") and leave trimming them to the river side. I have had many days where the fish actually want the longer ones and my day gets ended early when I lose the only couple I have because I went ahead and cut them short. usually the fish want them cut to about an 1/8" longer than the hook which is how you end up with a box of cut ones and no long ones after awhile  8)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 04:39:04 AM »

thanks Dr. HOOK, just the info I wanted. do you always use a size 6?
i have some tips to share:
Tip 1: put a drop of crazy glue on the base before u slide in the bead,
Tip 2: apply 'Hard as Nail' on the material on top of the bead for durability, and created a muddler effect as it get chew up.
It ain't the roe bro'

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 09:52:02 AM »

I shared the exact xmas tree pattern on another thread and included the head cementing part. I like using Loctite over Sally Hansen. it lasts longer. I don't bother head cementing it under the bead because covering the material over the bead and the thread behind the bead it plenty.

I got lazy one day and tied a few of these without the material over the bead. I think I got 1 fish so I stole a properly tied one from my fathers box (I tie all his flies anyhow) and hit multiple fish. Its weird how tiny subtle changes can make a huge difference. I also tie these with several different bead finishes
Check out our new blog

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 10:43:45 AM »

WHAT SIZE HOOK DO YOU USE?
It ain't the roe bro'

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 01:25:27 PM »

I use a short shank hook in a size 6. size 8 and smaller are usually slightly lighter gauge and could open up on fish, size 6 is still a pretty small hook when using shorter hooks. I also rather have that wider gape the 2499SP-BL has.

today however I bought Mustad C68SZ size 6. these again are a short shank hook, built for saltwater so they are strong. the gape on them isn't as wide as the Tiemco 2499SP-BL but they are $4 cheaper per package of 25 which is why I'm going to try them out. I have fished the Mustad saltwater hooks for salmon the last few years and I have not yet had one straight out on me unless I get snagged on bottom and the tippet will normally break first

3XL are fairly long hook, I like the shortest hooks possible for salmon flies. salmon (especially coho) have a tendency to work the hook loose and longer shank hooks actually help them in the leverage area to work it free. I do not like offset hooks for stripped flies, I always wonder if they could possibly spin during the strip because of the offset
Check out our new blog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 04:37:23 PM »

the 2499 SP Bl would make a good hook for smaller tube flies as well.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.