Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rice Lake flies  (Read 11230 times)

jt

• I'm a llama!
Rice Lake flies
« on: June 06, 2004, 04:34:02 PM »

This is for everyone but directed to otto as he's been bringing up flyfishing on Rice Lake. I went for about two hours in the evening last weekend and tried a bit of a smorgasbord of flies. tried mostly dry flies during the evening - may flies, tom thumb and caddis flies with a little success. fish were sipping the sufface and many sampled my fly. only two actually took it into thier mouth one of which i was able to bring to my hand. i was a little disappointed as there were so many fish hitting surfacing. we had a half hour more at the lake so i thought i would use a wet fly for the rest of the evening. i tied on a gold bead headed green nymph  and in the next 20 mins i had bites every time it hit the water. got four more to my hand in this short time and then lost my very last bead head nymph to a tree on a back cast. oh well....it's the cost of doing business. for the rest of the evening i used another green nymph without a bead head. got a few bites but nothing like the other nymph.......i think it was because i had to pull it in slower than the other to keep it below the surface. the bead head i would take really fast 2' pulls then let it sink for a second or two. i have some bead headed nymphs w/ legs i never thought of trying (don't know why) but i will next time.
The friend i was fishing with was using power bait maggots without a single bite. i'm going to tell him the way your using them so he can get in on the action.
jt.

otto

Re:Rice Lake flies
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 06:23:31 PM »

hahaha.......if it makes you feel better, i got completely skunked today!!!.    thanks JT for your patience at the lake, you must have been there awhile if you tried all those flies.......i used to have some gold bead headed green nymphs that i had excellent luck with trolling under a fly bobber.

as for the fishing report today....very slow at rice lake...except for the little kid of about 7 years old that caught a 13" trout, then a 12" trout.........i got skunked, but hearing that kid shout "i gotta fish i gotta fish!!" made the whole day bright and sunny. his dad was awestruck at the size of these trouts that his kid caught!     8)

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 12:49:34 PM »

hahaha.......if it makes you feel better, i got completely skunked today!!!.    thanks JT for your patience at the lake, you must have been there awhile if you tried all those flies.......i used to have some gold bead headed green nymphs that i had excellent luck with trolling under a fly bobber.

as for the fishing report today....very slow at rice lake...except for the little kid of about 7 years old that caught a 13" trout, then a 12" trout.........i got skunked, but hearing that kid shout "i gotta fish i gotta fish!!" made the whole day bright and sunny. his dad was awestruck at the size of these trouts that his kid caught!     8)

Is that the kid with glasses speaking french?  There was this kid who could cast farther than most adults.  A real pro.

otto

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 04:03:08 PM »

yea the little kid with a montreal accent....real good caster!!!! 8)

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 04:19:21 PM »

He's gonna be out next prime minister (emm... prime fisherman).

otto

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 04:29:36 PM »

He's gonna be out next prime minister (emm... prime fisherman).

i hope so......this country needs some real change!!! this last federal election was a joke....... 8)

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 09:18:41 PM »

Otto, funny, I also used bead-headed nympth in dark green (Caddis imitation) with very good results.  We arrived at the same conclusion independently. :)

otto

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 09:30:45 PM »

has anyone tried a day at Rice Lake and used just Chironomids??? i would be interested in the hook ratio with those VS bead headed nymphs...... ??? ???

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2004, 09:37:32 PM »

has anyone tried a day at Rice Lake and used just Chironomids??? i would be interested in the hook ratio with those VS bead headed nymphs...... ??? ???

Hi Otto,
Don't you need drop offs/deeper water and also colder water for Chiro?  Sorry for non-answer.

Spent 5 hours at R.Lake today (around noon).  Got skunked [edit: had a couple of nice bites], but managed to see the bear cub, swimming in the shallows on the opposite site of the pear.  Quite a sight!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 09:47:55 PM by FlyNut »

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2004, 09:38:55 PM »

Otto,
I am told there is a trail leading from Lynn Valley to Rice Lake, with obvious advantage that the gete would not close on you if you leave late.

Do you know the directions to the parking lot on Lynn Valley Rd. for that trail?

otto

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2004, 10:15:13 PM »

take the Lynn Valley road, drive past the general store and go straight. you'll see a road with a yellow gate and a gravel road that goes down...this is rice lake road. there is a little parking spot on the left beside ricelake road. walk down the gravel road until you see a bridge....this is Pipeline  bridge....walk up that until you you see the gazebo...then walk down the trail towards the lake.....

8)

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2004, 10:28:43 PM »

Thanks, Otto, for the direction.  Now I can fish late to my heart's desire!

Where'd you get your pole from, anyways. Mail order from Europe?

otto

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2004, 11:17:23 PM »

Thanks, Otto, for the direction.  Now I can fish late to my heart's desire!

Where'd you get your pole from, anyways. Mail order from Europe?

nope...Alexander from Royal Sporstman in burnaby...better be quick...he only has about 10 or 12 poles of various lengths left!! (i might clean out his stock !!!!!  ;D  )

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2004, 02:34:53 PM »

Has anyone tried chironomids on Rice Lake?  I've see them hatching before but never fished them.